U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:04 AM

36,984 posts, read 45,435,337 times

Advertisements

I just read an article which found that exposing babies to peanuts at the age of 6 months, unless they have eczema or egg allergy, will prevent a lot of peanut allergies later.

It does seem as if the issue is much more prevalent that it used to be.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...ahmorningnews/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 AM

6,407 posts, read 4,022,594 times
Indeed. For many years, parent were told strictly to avoid exposing their children to peanuts for up to two years (I know parents who waited even longer). And even some pregnant women were told to avoid eating peanuts lest their babies be exposed in the womb and become allergic.

And what happened? Peanut allergies skyrocketed.

Now they find out that women who eat peanuts during pregnancy are less likely to have babies with peanut allergies. And that eating peanuts early in life greatly reduces the risk of allergies as well. Oops.

It seems like common sense to me that exposure to a wide variety of foods is generally beneficial for babies. (We never delayed any certain foods, except raw honey, and our kids have no allergies.) And I'm always skeptical when a breastfeeding mom tells me her baby is fussy, so she cut dairy, gluten, eggs, citrus, tomatoes, and chocolate out of her diet. Seems like that is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:12 PM

11,144 posts, read 20,343,572 times
I wonder how long they followed the children in the study, because not all food allergies show up in childhood.

I didn't develop an allergy to peanuts until my late 30's. I ate peanuts at least a couple times a week my whole life, then one day I ate them, my face swelled and turned dark red, I got hives on my neck and chest, and I vomited. Now, I'm at the point where I have an asthma attack if someone opens a jar of peanut butter in the room I'm in.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM

36,984 posts, read 45,435,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I wonder how long they followed the children in the study, because not all food allergies show up in childhood.

I didn't develop an allergy to peanuts until my late 30's. I ate peanuts at least a couple times a week my whole life, then one day I ate them, my face swelled and turned dark red, I got hives on my neck and chest, and I vomited. Now, I'm at the point where I have an asthma attack if someone opens a jar of peanut butter in the room I'm in.
Wow, that's scary.
All I know is that back in the dark ages when my kids were little, the sooner I could get by with pbj, the better.

A question, hedgehogmom, are you allergic to other legumes, or only peanuts?

Old 01-06-2017, 04:59 PM

11,144 posts, read 20,343,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wow, that's scary.
All I know is that back in the dark ages when my kids were little, the sooner I could get by with pbj, the better.

A question, hedgehogmom, are you allergic to other legumes, or only peanuts?
I'm allergic to soy also, including soybean oil and derivatives. And almonds, coconut, palm and palm kernel, and honey. I'm developing another allergy but can't tell what it is yet, just that it's most likely a grain.

My reactions to soy and peanut are the worst. It's very easy to avoid peanut but much more difficult to avoid soy because it hides in so many things. I had to go to the ER a few weeks ago because I ate a small piece of cheese that contained vegetable rennet, which turned out to be soy.

I'm starting to think I've got something else going on, maybe mast cell activation syndrome.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:00 PM

3,867 posts, read 2,720,808 times
Growing up, peanut butter sandwiches were served every day at school as an option for those who didn't like what was on the lunch menu. How did things change so drastically? What happened?

Hopefully these new recommendations will help.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:57 PM

3,570 posts, read 5,294,550 times
I am very skeptical of the whole peanut ban to begin with. How does Southwest airlines operate 3,400 flights per day - almost all with children on them - and yet we never hear of problems with their serving peanuts on these flights?

Old 07-30-2017, 10:25 PM

2,820 posts, read 1,232,559 times
There have been numerous articles on how the uptick in allergies of all kinds is partially traceable to the more "sanitized" lifestyles kids are growing up in now. Early exposure to a variety of foods probably does help reduce the chance of the kid's immune system becoming hypersensitive to it. I don't recall where it was, but I remember reading a study where they found kids who were raised around animals were much less likely to have allergies to animals as adults.

Seems to make sense.

My mom (73 years old) watched a segment about food allergies and got upset, saying "I was a terrible mother! I fed you guys peanut butter when you were little. Holy hell, look what could've happened to any one of you!"

It took a couple of minutes but we assured her that she wasn't a terrible mom because in the 70's and 80's when we grew up, nobody had ever heard of allergies to peanuts. I think the first time I heard of it was in the 1990's.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:43 AM

6,304 posts, read 3,553,681 times
When my daughter was pregnant 3 years ago, her OB told her to eat peanut butter once a week during her pregnancy, to prevent a peanut allergy in her child. Apparently, it worked. He eats peanut butter crackers regularly, as does his younger brother with no reaction. I myself ate peanut butter sandwiches when I was pregnant with her. She never had this allergy.

When she was in Basic Training 6 years ago in Texas, she was bitten by a tick and developed a very bad red meat allergy. She was given a medical discharge for it. Today she can occasionally eat a hot dog or burger without a problem. Since this started with a tick bite, maybe it wanes after a number of years?

I was allergic to Citrus as a child. Itchy Hives all over it. As an adult over 60+ years, I found I could occasionally drink a glass of oj with no problems. One time at work I was given a orange to eat and my mouth felt like it was on fire. No problem eating navel oranges. Could not figure this out until I went to an orange grove tasting. It was the Valencia orange that made my mouth burn, none of the others did. Pure chance discovery.

Back to the OT, maybe my daughter's OB was on to something with her eating peanut butter during pregnancy so the unborn baby is exposed to peanuts before birth? This might be an interesting test. See if these allergic kids Moms ate peanut butter during their pregnancies.

Last edited by Jo48; 08-05-2017 at 06:44 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 04:51 PM

2,820 posts, read 1,232,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
When my daughter was pregnant 3 years ago, her OB told her to eat peanut butter once a week during her pregnancy, to prevent a peanut allergy in her child. Apparently, it worked. He eats peanut butter crackers regularly, as does his younger brother with no reaction. I myself ate peanut butter sandwiches when I was pregnant with her. She never had this allergy.

When she was in Basic Training 6 years ago in Texas, she was bitten by a tick and developed a very bad red meat allergy. She was given a medical discharge for it. Today she can occasionally eat a hot dog or burger without a problem. Since this started with a tick bite, maybe it wanes after a number of years?

I was allergic to Citrus as a child. Itchy Hives all over it. As an adult over 60+ years, I found I could occasionally drink a glass of oj with no problems. One time at work I was given a orange to eat and my mouth felt like it was on fire. No problem eating navel oranges. Could not figure this out until I went to an orange grove tasting. It was the Valencia orange that made my mouth burn, none of the others did. Pure chance discovery.

Back to the OT, maybe my daughter's OB was on to something with her eating peanut butter during pregnancy so the unborn baby is exposed to peanuts before birth? This might be an interesting test. See if these allergic kids Moms ate peanut butter during their pregnancies.

That's funny you mention your daughter and the peanut butter

When I was pregnant with my daughter (now 18), I craved peanut butter like crazy and ate lots of it.

She isn't allergic and everyone jokes that she likes it so much because she had constant exposure to it from early on...very early on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or