U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:54 PM

15,259 posts, read 12,516,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
I know it won't do anything about the toxicity but for smells, coffee works well. Of course, you have to find the aroma of coffee appealing but I've found that a couple bowls of whole beans or unused grounds can help clear the air. It's often used as a "palate cleanser" for people who sample perfumes.

I hope you're able to get this bettered OP. That smell is hideous and usually leaves me with a headache. It's got to be frustrating to have a nice new car that you don't even want to ride in!
Thanks so much... many people say they suffer bad headaches with the new smell of a car.. some car manufacturers are now working on it.. some better than others.. mabye we need the public to do more and talk up, as its our health at risk..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 08:44 AM

21,634 posts, read 11,087,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
yes I understand exactly what your saying... only Im so sensitive to chemicals that if someone wore perfume or smoked in the car that would have the same results.. also when they valet a car they put some horrid stuff on the dashboard to make it shine, most old cars have that done, or they have it sprayed with some lethal air fresheners..... so its back to square one with smells...I could have laughed when with the car they gave us sachets of air freshener and says on it.. to keep that new car smell.... even in my distress I smiled......oh sorry to answer you question, I react to everything I have MCS.. its an intolerance to all chemicals so the list is endless from petrol to perfume, to DIY stores smell, to housepaint.. air fresheners being the worst and fabric conditioner... Not everyone is like me , I agree with you.. but that doesnt mean that these glues and solvents arent causing harm also to ones who dont mind the smells..... its even worse than tobacco smoke in a car and thats horrible.. some car manufacturers are now taking steps to cut down on these lethal toxins..

BBC - Autos - Is new-car smell bad for your health?
When I go to a hotel I always smell it before I take the room. One fellow had to walk me into many rooms so I could smell it. I picked the one that smelled with NO SMELL.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:45 AM

19,665 posts, read 18,729,047 times
Somewhere I read that they spray that "new car smell" on purpose!

I would get sick from that too. I don't know what to do about it. I used to have a supply of charcoal filled masks to wear in cars or smelly hotel rooms.

Don't spray Febreze or whatever it is, but you already know that. It's just another mixture of toxic chemicals that some people think smells "nice."

Over in the USA, we would put that car out in the sun on a 90+ degree day. It would take a few of those days for that awful small to out gas. You have nice cool weather where you live so it looks like the charcoal is the best bet. Can you buy a charcoal air filter for the car? I have one but the refills are very expensive. You plug it in to where the cigarette lighter used to go. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:30 PM

6,106 posts, read 9,033,158 times
This may sound stupid but I would try sitting in the car with a lit candle. It might be an old wive's tale but I have heard this dissipates bad smells. Maybe you could get someone else to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or