U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-31-2017, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,265 posts, read 12,589,734 times
Reputation: 22101

Advertisements

I went on a short holiday recently to a wooden lodge.. lovely house but it had a wood burning stove.. something I havent used before.... we got it lit and had a lovely comfy first night.. but when I went to bed, my sleep was disturbed and I had a lot of horrible dreams... I suffer from MCS, which means I cant be near or inhale any chemicals... Next morning I got up and felt rough.. tried to get myself together as I was with company. but my face looked as if Id been out on the tiles all night and my hair went crazy after my shower.. I felt awful.. then I looked at my daughter and she was all bloated and ill looking... I didnt say anything...as she had chosen the lodge for our holiday and I didnt want to be moany... that night she lit the fire again.. and same thing, we both felt rough and so did her husband, our happy holiday feeling had gone and I blame this wood burner.. and the toxic fumes from it.. so they are now a no no on holidays. Do others feel sick and ill with these stoves or burners..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2017, 05:59 AM
 
Location: CasaMo
15,487 posts, read 7,510,920 times
Reputation: 16855
No. I've not heard of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2017, 10:55 AM
 
1,206 posts, read 1,075,794 times
Reputation: 2524
My first thought is I'd wonder if it was operating properly. Or what kind of wood was being burned. For example, pressure-treated wood should never be burned in a woodstove due to the chemicals used in the pressure treating process. Maybe even if the wood was OK it was from a tree to which you're allergic? I'd be in real trouble from some types of wood, pine for one. And was the wood properly seasoned?

I have a lot of trouble with wood smoke, regardless of the source. I have asthma and a wide variety of allergies including environmental and food triggers. Wood smoke will kick me into a full-blown allergy attack very quickly.

Another thing to consider . . . mold in the lodge itself. We went on holiday to a ski lodge just after ski season had ended (we were there for the hiking). The mold was terrible - probably from the skiers bringing their wet equipment and clothing into the room. I reacted just as you described after one sleepless night and we immediately checked out and went elsewhere.

Did you improve after you left the lodge? I certainly hope so! That's no way to spend a holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2017, 04:20 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,265 posts, read 12,589,734 times
Reputation: 22101
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
My first thought is I'd wonder if it was operating properly. Or what kind of wood was being burned. For example, pressure-treated wood should never be burned in a woodstove due to the chemicals used in the pressure treating process. Maybe even if the wood was OK it was from a tree to which you're allergic? I'd be in real trouble from some types of wood, pine for one. And was the wood properly seasoned?

I have a lot of trouble with wood smoke, regardless of the source. I have asthma and a wide variety of allergies including environmental and food triggers. Wood smoke will kick me into a full-blown allergy attack very quickly.

Another thing to consider . . . mold in the lodge itself. We went on holiday to a ski lodge just after ski season had ended (we were there for the hiking). The mold was terrible - probably from the skiers bringing their wet equipment and clothing into the room. I reacted just as you described after one sleepless night and we immediately checked out and went elsewhere.

Did you improve after you left the lodge? I certainly hope so! That's no way to spend a holiday.
No I havent got better if anything its got worse.. I now have an itch and bumps all over my arms, back and torso.. even my head is itchy as hell.. and think it has something to do with this , cant stop scratching..and I feel awful...I have two like swollen blisters under my eyes on the cheekbone too.. I think Ill be staying at home after this ...having the environmental illness should have warned me.. but my daughter booked the short holiday as a surprise..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2017, 10:24 PM
 
1,206 posts, read 1,075,794 times
Reputation: 2524
What sort of remedies do you use when you get like that? I truly feel for you as I've had similar reactions to meds so I know the agony. I'm hoping that you've turned the corner and are feeling a bit better by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,265 posts, read 12,589,734 times
Reputation: 22101
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
What sort of remedies do you use when you get like that? I truly feel for you as I've had similar reactions to meds so I know the agony. I'm hoping that you've turned the corner and are feeling a bit better by now.
I dont want to try anything to be honest in case it makes matters worse, thanks for your concern ... doctors arent interested..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 02:16 PM
 
1,206 posts, read 1,075,794 times
Reputation: 2524
OK. I wasn't sure where you were re: doctors and such. Then I'll tell you the only thing that helps me with the excruciating itchy skin. It's aloe vera gel. I slathered myself nearly from head to toe with it and it kept me sane for periods of time. I don't remember how often I had to reapply - maybe every couple of hours? Cortisone cream is a waste of time and I don't like to use anything steroid if I can help it. Hope things improve soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2017, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,265 posts, read 12,589,734 times
Reputation: 22101
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
OK. I wasn't sure where you were re: doctors and such. Then I'll tell you the only thing that helps me with the excruciating itchy skin. It's aloe vera gel. I slathered myself nearly from head to toe with it and it kept me sane for periods of time. I don't remember how often I had to reapply - maybe every couple of hours? Cortisone cream is a waste of time and I don't like to use anything steroid if I can help it. Hope things improve soon.
I cant use most creams anyway for the smells as I react badly to them... but thank you for your help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2017, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Florida
21,671 posts, read 11,132,190 times
Reputation: 7892
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I cant use most creams anyway for the smells as I react badly to them... but thank you for your help..
I read that smoke from wood is toxic.. I don't like to be around a fire. As I have gotten older my tolerance is low of what I smell. It just makes me cough, dizzy or just feeling lousy.

Smokers are used to it. I am not a smoker, never around anyone who smokes so I am very sensitive to smells . Read the article below.

Wood Smoke Myths and Facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top