Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 07:17 PM

243 posts, read 264,569 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I went to get tested for environmental & food allergies by an allergist at a national research/teaching hospital on March 31 of this year. I was tested twice for dog by skin prick. The allergist & his nurse said I wasn't allergic to dogs. This contradicted tests given by an allergist in June 2013 and October 1977. (I'm 49 now.) I definitely get red eyes and sneezy nose around the family dog. I haven't gotten a clear answer from the allergist as to causes for the different results. I was told my immunity could have changed, I could have had a virus at the time of the test that skewed the results, or that dust or dust mites on my dog's coat could be the cause of symptoms. The allergist has offered to retest me in 3 months. I'm definitely allergic to dust. Have any of you had such different test results before? Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 12:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Every test is different, every MD is different...they are all practicing in their medical practices.

I told you some time back what keeps me sane with allergy issues and I went the whole 9 yards of drugs and allergy shots etc.... Most days I now take 500mg of grape seed extract. You won't get this info from an MD.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:58 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
This reminds of what happened with my penicillin allergy tests. After having a moderately bad reaction to penicillin (I say "moderately" compared to the dreadful reaction I had to Cipro), I was tested for penicillin allergy. Came back positive. Several years later a new-to-me allergist said there was a new "gold standard" penicillin allergy test out and he wanted to try it on me. I came back negative! However, due to the risk factor we've decided not to push my luck and to stay away from penicillin.

I wonder if the testing protocol was the same each time you were tested?

One other thought . . . could the dog be carrying pollens on it or some other allergen? A friend of mine just got a horrible fungus on her arm from picking up her dog after the dog had been rummaging through the tall spring grass. Dog got it on her belly too. Both are recovering well.

I hope you'll come back here after your next round of tests . . . I'd be interested to hear what happens next.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
This reminds of what happened with my penicillin allergy tests. After having a moderately bad reaction to penicillin (I say "moderately" compared to the dreadful reaction I had to Cipro), I was tested for penicillin allergy. Came back positive. Several years later a new-to-me allergist said there was a new "gold standard" penicillin allergy test out and he wanted to try it on me. I came back negative! However, due to the risk factor we've decided not to push my luck and to stay away from penicillin.

I wonder if the testing protocol was the same each time you were tested?

One other thought . . . could the dog be carrying pollens on it or some other allergen? A friend of mine just got a horrible fungus on her arm from picking up her dog after the dog had been rummaging through the tall spring grass. Dog got it on her belly too. Both are recovering well.

I hope you'll come back here after your next round of tests . . . I'd be interested to hear what happens next.
Hi Movinon,
Wow that's terrible what happened to your friend & her dog. I live in a cold part of the US. Our pollen seasons are pretty short so I'm guessing the dog may carry pollen at times but not consistently. He could be carrying dust or dust mites as the allergist proposed.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Every test is different, every MD is different...they are all practicing in their medical practices.

I told you some time back what keeps me sane with allergy issues and I went the whole 9 yards of drugs and allergy shots etc.... Most days I now take 500mg of grape seed extract. You won't get this info from an MD.
I take 250 mg of grape seed extract daily. I will look into the safety/efficacy of increasing the dosage.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:27 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklineBiker View Post
I take 250 mg of grape seed extract daily. I will look into the safety/efficacy of increasing the dosage.
I hope you're not allergic to grapes. If you are - that won't be helping the situation.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:50 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I was tested 3 different times over a 20 year time period I am 46 now. The tests say I am not allergic to dogs or cats but anytime I am around cats I get itchy and my eyes burn. Certain breed of dogs bother me too, German shepherds is #1 and some other fluffy hairy dogs. My BIL's Shorkie does not affect my allergies. I am allergic to trees, grass, dust and pollen and certain perfumes.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:11 PM

That is interesting. I guess I'm not the only one to not fully trust the tests. The most recent tests also said I wasn't allergic to soy which is way wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies