U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 11:05 AM

247 posts, read 320,726 times

Advertisements

I constantly wake up and have a stuffy nose, congestion, dry throat, etc. This happens even when we have the AC on.

I don't want to spend a million dollars to deal with this.

What is the one thing I should buy (humidifier? air filter) that would really help with this problem? Thank you for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 01:47 PM

1,036 posts, read 787,290 times
Do you wash your body and hair before bedtime in order to remove dust and pollen?
Do you dry your bedsheets outside where they pick up dust and pollen, or do you dry them in a dryer vented to the outside?
Do you have a cat sleeping with you?

Old 07-02-2017, 05:44 PM

6 posts, read 1,754 times
An a/c can be a pretty notorious cause of allergies since the air circulates and ends up moving the dust and possible allergens around the room. If you still have allergies both with the a/c on and off then its probably something other than that. Consider having an allergy test done? Its quite simple and quick and its in a controlled environment. The doctors will be able to find out what's causing your allergies pretty quickly.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:50 PM

23,790 posts, read 8,268,851 times
Sunbrite: Is this new for you? Could you turn off a/c and see what that does. If it's too hot a fan on the floor away from your nose and throat.

I've posted here that I've been able to get rid of allergy drugs since taking grape seed extract since 1995. Lotta years. I sleep with no a/c and the month of June has been so cool no fan here.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:55 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,020,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
I constantly wake up and have a stuffy nose, congestion, dry throat, etc. This happens even when we have the AC on.
Free to inexpensive things to try:

1. If your a/c has a filter, clean it. Youtube has various videos if you aren't sure where it is or how to take it out, or you can call an HVAC tech and ask.

2. Consider the level of dust in your bedroom. Do you have curtains? Shag carpet? Are these cleaned/swept regularly? I had "dust collector" curtains and switched to mini-blinds that I carefully clean every six months. I also have a HEPA filter on my vac.

3. As mentioned, shower and wash hair before going to bed. Keep your bedding washed. Do you have feather pillows? Are the feathers OK or getting gross? Maybe try a hypoallergenic pillow?

4. If you have a central a/c, look into either having the vents professionally cleaned or tackle it yourself if you think you are able.

If the above measures don't bring any relief, you may want to get a free consultation with an Ent and an allergist -- you may have more severe problems that need more invasive measures.

Good luck and keep us posted! Lots of people have this problem!

Old 07-02-2017, 09:20 PM

247 posts, read 320,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Do you wash your body and hair before bedtime in order to remove dust and pollen?
Do you dry your bedsheets outside where they pick up dust and pollen, or do you dry them in a dryer vented to the outside?
Do you have a cat sleeping with you?

Yes, take shower before bedtime, never dry bedsheets outside and am allergic to cats. However, we live in
a rental with carpet in bedroom and I think they had cats before. That was really bad when we first moved in, it's gotten tons better just over time and vacuuming I suppose, but both my husband (who is not allergic to cats) and I still wake up with stuffy congested noses, dry throats, etc. This is the case even when both of us take allergy medicines at night (even very strong ones

But before we lived for 3 years in a place with no previous cats living there and we had the same symptoms when we woke up (and are congested, stuffy, dry throats) I think this is year-round where we have this problem when we wake up in the morning, not just in the summertime.

I think I am allergic to pollen, either tree or grass, maybe even both. Also probably very much so dust. We had the same problem without curtains. We do have some curtains now, but we need them because it gets so bright in here (does anyone know something that will keep the room dark but without curtains?)

We live in Minnesota where's it's notoriously humid and the allergies are awful here. I think our symptoms has something to do with the intense humidity here but the AC doesn't help. Problem is we need the AC on at night bc it gets so hot. I don't think we can not have the AC on at night in the summertime, it's awful here at night with the humidity (if you know anyone who lives in Minnesota they will say the same thing) In fact I read that pollen is the worst at night.

The best we sleep and wake up is when we have that rare night when it's cool but not humid outside and we have the fan on. I think we leave the windows open a bit then too and it's not a problem.

I'm wondering- maybe we should buy a dehumidifier and then use perhaps rotating fans? I wonder if that would work better than having the AC on. Because I think the AC does worsen some symptoms.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Last edited by Sunbrite; 07-02-2017 at 09:35 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 10:06 PM

23,790 posts, read 8,268,851 times
Rotating fans I believe dry out eyes and throat especially if overhead. When I do have to put up a fan in bedroom, I put it on the floor for circulation...don't want it to blow on me. Just thought I'd mention that. I had to stop visiting a friend in the desert as the ceiling in the guest room made me crazy.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:28 AM

15,265 posts, read 12,582,834 times
Quote:

I don't want to spend a million dollars to deal with this.

What is the one thing I should buy (humidifier? air filter) that would really help with this problem? Thank you for any suggestions!
what are your bedclothes washed in... ditch all the strong smelly soap powders and fabric conditioners, they cause so many problems and change to unscented safer products...

Old 07-04-2017, 11:16 PM

19,842 posts, read 18,861,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
what are your bedclothes washed in... ditch all the strong smelly soap powders and fabric conditioners, they cause so many problems and change to unscented safer products...
^^^ This is important too. Many people have chemical sensitivities that are not actual allergies but the symptoms are the same.

You asked if you should buy one thing what would it be--I'd say probably a really good air purifier with a HEPA filter. Thing is, the good ones are very expensive and so are the replacement filters. But if you could buy one thing that would help, my guess is that would be it.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:51 PM

7,009 posts, read 6,990,757 times
Quote:
Yes, take shower before bedtime, never dry bedsheets outside and am allergic to cats. However, we live in
a rental with carpet in bedroom and I think they had cats before. That was really bad when we first moved in, it's gotten tons better just over time and vacuuming I suppose, but both my husband (who is not allergic to cats) and I still wake up with stuffy congested noses, dry throats, etc. This is the case even when both of us take allergy medicines at night (even very strong ones

But before we lived for 3 years in a place with no previous cats living there and we had the same symptoms when we woke up (and are congested, stuffy, dry throats) I think this is year-round where we have this problem when we wake up in the morning, not just in the summertime.

I think I am allergic to pollen, either tree or grass, maybe even both. Also probably very much so dust. We had the same problem without curtains. We do have some curtains now, but we need them because it gets so bright in here (does anyone know something that will keep the room dark but without curtains?)

We live in Minnesota where's it's notoriously humid and the allergies are awful here. I think our symptoms has something to do with the intense humidity here but the AC doesn't help. Problem is we need the AC on at night bc it gets so hot. I don't think we can not have the AC on at night in the summertime, it's awful here at night with the humidity (if you know anyone who lives in Minnesota they will say the same thing) In fact I read that pollen is the worst at night.

The best we sleep and wake up is when we have that rare night when it's cool but not humid outside and we have the fan on. I think we leave the windows open a bit then too and it's not a problem.

I'm wondering- maybe we should buy a dehumidifier and then use perhaps rotating fans? I wonder if that would work better than having the AC on. Because I think the AC does worsen some symptoms.

Thanks for any recommendations!
Have you considered renting a rug shampooer and cleaning the carpet in the bedroom and perhaps the whole apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or