U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:32 AM

3,467 posts, read 4,352,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
There is a product called Alkalol. A mucus solvent. It can be applied with a nasal sprayer or nasal wash.
I've started using this. When I go to my ENT for chemical cautery treatments, this is what they use as a rinse after the diluted phenol. But my ENT has also recommended using it in general as part of my nasal irrigation routine. I have only just started, but it seems like a good thing. I wish I had found it about it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 02:09 PM

9,662 posts, read 15,796,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I've started using this. When I go to my ENT for chemical cautery treatments, this is what they use as a rinse after the diluted phenol. But my ENT has also recommended using it in general as part of my nasal irrigation routine. I have only just started, but it seems like a good thing. I wish I had found it about it before.

Where do you get it?

Old 10-26-2017, 11:23 PM

I found it at CVS.

I think Walgreen's might carry it as well.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:58 PM

371 posts, read 714,521 times
I used to have several sinus infections a year - seems I was on Augmentin quite a lot. Only have one a year now on average and I think it's the combination of turbinate surgery and cutting out dairy that have been effective.
It needs to be all dairy, even very small amounts eg milk powder in bread

Old 11-03-2017, 10:36 AM
exm

2,116 posts, read 696,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Started having spring allergies a few years back (I'm 44), now my sinuses are bothering me for the past few weeks. Doc want me to get a brain/sinus MRI w/contrast. Sucks.
Brain/orbital MRI, and an ENT appointment later (where the ENT doc put a camera up my nose). Diagnosis: sinus infection. Treatment: 10 day antibiotics.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:56 PM

6,099 posts, read 9,024,069 times
Does anyone get shots anymore? I have the allergy sinus/headache/stuffy head thing again, just like in Spring. I think it's Juniper and other trees. I am so very crabby, and want to cut my head off ! Would an allergist do tests and shots or is that all old hat? The nasal sprays, sudafed, mucinex, xylital wash is so much expense and work. I just want a cure !

Old 11-07-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Does anyone get shots anymore? I have the allergy sinus/headache/stuffy head thing again, just like in Spring. I think it's Juniper and other trees. I am so very crabby, and want to cut my head off ! Would an allergist do tests and shots or is that all old hat?
Allergy injections are not old hat at all.

I have gotten them for most of my life, and for much of that time they managed my allergies quite effectively. They simply haven't worked very well for me over the last fifteen years. But many people get much better results from them than I have in recent years, so I would say they are worth a try. At my former job, back in Philadelphia, I worked with someone who had previously had bad experiences with allergy injections. My response to her questions convinced her it was worth another try. She was on a course of allergy injections for a few years, and after that she was much better. Meanwhile they were failing me during the same time period. Different individuals will react differently. (Thanks to going to an allergist, my co-worker also discovered she had asthma, which she hadn't even realized. So she was quite glad she went to the allergist.)

I'm about to try NAET. Very skeptical about it, but convention medicine has been failing me for a while now. My allergist has no new ideas and has even encouraged me to stop injections for a while and see if it really makes any difference. So I am about to begin NAET as the list bit of my extract runs out.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:25 AM

6,099 posts, read 9,024,069 times
What's NAET? Never heard of it, so please explain ! Thanks !

Old 11-08-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
What's NAET? Never heard of it, so please explain ! Thanks !
I don't think I'm the best person to explain it. It's a desensitization method based on acupuncture, chiropractic, and whatnot, but it doesn't have a scientific basis:

https://www.naet.com/about/what-is-naet

I actually don't want to know any more about it now that I've decided to try it! If it works, I will become more interested in the theory behind it.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:09 AM

39,408 posts, read 47,474,503 times
Whenever my allergies kick up my doc prescribes prednisone 10mg to be used 'as needed'. Works wonders.
OP you may need to change diet habits like eliminating dairy, wheat etc and go with gluten free foods, they help tremendously too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or