Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 03:38 PM

555 posts, read 595,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Does anyone get shots anymore? I have the allergy sinus/headache/stuffy head thing again, just like in Spring. I think it's Juniper and other trees. I am so very crabby, and want to cut my head off ! Would an allergist do tests and shots or is that all old hat? The nasal sprays, sudafed, mucinex, xylital wash is so much expense and work. I just want a cure !
I did shots for about 15 years and they helped immensely. My allergies were so bad that I had to have three shots every time, and if I didn't ice them immediately I'd get HUGE welts at the injection sites... Anyway, got tired of going in once a month so I stopped a couple of years ago. I'm still bothered by my allergies although not as much as pre-shots.

Anyway, your fall allergies are probably weeds. Junipers would be early spring; followed by other trees. Summer is grass and ragweed season. Go see an allergist and get skin tested. Look for a board certified allergist. (O.k., I just looked... No board certified allergists in Prescott. You'd have to go to Phoenix or Flagstaff. Not sure if they'd work with your PCP if you wanted to do the shots; maybe.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 03:52 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
I did shots for about 15 years and they helped immensely. My allergies were so bad that I had to have three shots every time, and if I didn't ice them immediately I'd get HUGE welts at the injection sites... Anyway, got tired of going in once a month so I stopped a couple of years ago. I'm still bothered by my allergies although not as much as pre-shots.

Anyway, your fall allergies are probably weeds. Junipers would be early spring; followed by other trees. Summer is grass and ragweed season. Go see an allergist and get skin tested. Look for a board certified allergist. (O.k., I just looked... No board certified allergists in Prescott. You'd have to go to Phoenix or Flagstaff. Not sure if they'd work with your PCP if you wanted to do the shots; maybe.)
I did the shots, sudafed, drixoral in the years prior to 1995 when pycnogenol and then grape seed ex a year later got rid of allergy/sinus issues...going on over 22 yrs now and none of these issues.

The allergist just got richer...his office was always full of suffering people. Thinking back, I could scream...but when one is given the "wake up" they never know when it will be, so be ready for it. Hopefully, the wake up will come.

Oh. I haven't had a headache in over 20 yrs.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:38 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I don't think I'm the best person to explain it. It's a desensitization method based on acupuncture, chiropractic, and whatnot, but it doesn't have a scientific basis:

https://www.naet.com/about/what-is-naet

I actually don't want to know any more about it now that I've decided to try it! If it works, I will become more interested in the theory behind it.
Now that I've had my first NAET treatment, I want to mention that one thing that's different about it, which I didn't quite realize in advance, is that before the NAET-style desensitization is done, the practitioner brings your body into "alignment" to make the patient receptive to the treatment. From my perspective, this seemed to consist of lots of acupressure (and perhaps some form of massage) to loosen tight spots. And there was a 20 minute period during which I held glass containers of things to which I have been found sensitive (according to their way of testing), while I had acupuncture needles in me.

At worst it was an expensive acupressure/acupuncture treatment (and not all that expensive really, considering how much personal attention I actual received). At best--well, that remains to be seen, long-term.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:41 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
Actually, after reading around a bit more, I think some of what the practitioner did--both the "alignment" beforehand and the acupuncture toward the end--may be based on her traditional Chinese medicine orientation, rather than NAET proper.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:51 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I get quite stuffy when I am exposed to cigarette smoke and various other environmental irritants.

Maybe try nasal-humming, a very simple technique that helps the sinuses and has been shown to increase nitric-oxide levels and bodily oxygenation: Breathe-in through your nose then
breathe-out through your nose while "saying" the word "hum" with your nose. The nasal vibrations markedly increase nitric-oxide production.

https://www.consciousbreathing.com/b...ate-sinusitis/

Studies done at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden shows that a humming sound leads to a dramatic increase of the airflow in the sinuses. Further the levels of nitric oxide (NO) increases 15- to 20-fold by humming compared with quiet exhalation.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:40 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
Sinus surgery doesn't solve the allergies, but it stopped my sinus infections. Count me as a believer.

I used to have one sinus infection after another, triggered either by allergies or colds. Finally 20 years ago, I had my sinuses roto-rootered with many sinus polyps removed. This isn't scientific, but I believe the polyps formed like pearls in an oyster, as a bodily reaction to irritation from the allergens and infection. As the polyps proliferated, they made the sinus situation worse causing more infections.

I still get the occasional cold, and I have plenty of miserable allergic reactions to grasses and trees, but I never suffer from sinus infections. If my nose gets blocked up and I can't breathe, the sinuses continue to flow and there isn't time for the sinus mucus to "set-up" and become infected.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I rarely have any problems with sinus infections or headaches but last Sat I had a really bad headache.I did end up taking a couple of Advil and it was better. The next day, woke up the same way, only much worse. I could feel the fullness around my eyes. and my nose was stopped up. This continued each day until yesterday when it got better. Today all is well. Thank God. I do take an allergy pill each night.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:10 AM

I just ordered these:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Boiron-Sinu...-Tablets/37115

20 some yrs of no issues due to taking grape seed extract and then the last few months, I don't know strange things happen to the body. I'll give these homeopathics a try.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:16 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
...20 some yrs of no issues due to taking grape seed extract and then the last few months, I don't know strange things happen to the body...

You dont know, for a fact, that the grape seed extract is the reason you've had no sinus issues until now. I've never taken grape seed extract and I have no sinus issues. I also have none of the 25+ problems that you credit grape seed extract with preventing.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
You dont know, for a fact, that the grape seed extract is the reason you've had no sinus issues until now. I've never taken grape seed extract and I have no sinus issues. I also have none of the 25+ problems that you credit grape seed extract with preventing.
I do know, you don't know what I know about my body. I was on drugs and seeing allergist for shots etc before grape seed extract. Have not bought a drug or seen a MD since 1995 for allergy/sinus issues...and what is going on now, who knows...but NO doc in my picture of it all. YOU don't know TFW. It's truly stunning how some think they know me better than I know my own self and body.

And you are NOT the only one who has NO sinus issues. Why even discuss it if you don't know about this health issue.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-22-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies