U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:00 PM

71,711 posts, read 83,289,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
I used to think the airlines had restrictions like that too, but I guess not.

I love dogs and have owned a few throughout the years, but I don't expect everybody to feel the same as I do. But some pet owners take it personally though. It's as if they're thinking, "How dare you not love my Snookums, you evil person?!" or "Anybody that doesn't like dogs is a bad person."
small animals is small crates can be put on planes. In fact that has been the policy for many years. Shipping dogs in the luggage dept can be very unsafe due to heating issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 12:05 PM

71,711 posts, read 83,289,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I have a granddaughter aged 20 with severe dog allergies, her eyes stream and become swollen and red with veins showing on the whites of her eyes.. shes ill for many days after exposure to dogs.. so think twice before commenting.....
I am not sure the poster is saying no one has allergies to animals, but in this case the story has so many holes it isn't even funny!!!! Yes, there are people who do have severe allergies to animals or other things. I am also sure your granddaughter has meds with her at all times. It is impossible to keep away from dogs or most other things 24/7.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:12 PM

11,144 posts, read 20,325,757 times
You lose days to allergy meds because they make you groggy. It's also dangerous to be that groggy alone in public. Take first generation antihistamines too often and it starts to affect your short term memory. And steroids for reactions cause other problems and can even affect your bones. It's not just pop a pill, instantly feel better. It's more like, pop six pills, use your inhaler, maybe you will get by without a trip to the ER, and you'll just be sleepy and shaky the rest of the day and have a sore throat for five days.

What usually happens is that people with severe allergies have to avoid their allergens to have any quality of life. Sometimes that means you can't go certain places, but it can be really upsetting when someone is expecting a place to be safe and then it's not.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:10 PM

7,416 posts, read 4,562,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You lose days to allergy meds because they make you groggy. It's also dangerous to be that groggy alone in public. Take first generation antihistamines too often and it starts to affect your short term memory. And steroids for reactions cause other problems and can even affect your bones. It's not just pop a pill, instantly feel better. It's more like, pop six pills, use your inhaler, maybe you will get by without a trip to the ER, and you'll just be sleepy and shaky the rest of the day and have a sore throat for five days.

What usually happens is that people with severe allergies have to avoid their allergens to have any quality of life. Sometimes that means you can't go certain places, but it can be really upsetting when someone is expecting a place to be safe and then it's not.
^This!

I used to like eating out but then some restaurants here are now -- in violation of the health code -- unofficially allowing people to bring non-service dogs inside as part of what seems to be a cultural "take your dog everywhere" revolution. We object whenever we see this happening and sometimes management makes the offending diners take the dogs outside.

We had dinner Saturday night in the inside section of a poolside restaurant at a local hotel. As soon as we sat down, the reaction started. There's nothing that ruins a dinner so thoroughly as a continually running nose, red weepy swollen eyes, sneezing and gasping for breath. I could not believe that at a restaurant where there were literally dozens of outdoor tables, some idiot had brought their dog inside earlier that day.

Fortunately I bring Benadryl with me as my last-ditch nothing-else-works line of defense against allergy attacks. But there's a severe drawback: In people my age, there's a high risk of dementia associated with chronic use of Benadryl. And Saturday night, even the Benadryl didn't do the trick by itself; I had to add Singulair and Allegra D. (It is not a good idea to combine antihistamines but what could I do...)

It looks like I will have to go on Xolair, which is a sub-q injection given once or twice a month. It's $1,000 a shot and I'm not sure my insurance will cover it.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
^This!

I used to like eating out but then some restaurants here are now -- in violation of the health code -- unofficially allowing people to bring non-service dogs inside as part of what seems to be a cultural "take your dog everywhere" revolution. We object whenever we see this happening and sometimes management makes the offending diners take the dogs outside.

We had dinner Saturday night in the inside section of a poolside restaurant at a local hotel. As soon as we sat down, the reaction started. There's nothing that ruins a dinner so thoroughly as a continually running nose, red weepy swollen eyes, sneezing and gasping for breath. I could not believe that at a restaurant where there were literally dozens of outdoor tables, some idiot had brought their dog inside earlier that day.

Fortunately I bring Benadryl with me as my last-ditch nothing-else-works line of defense against allergy attacks. But there's a severe drawback: In people my age, there's a high risk of dementia associated with chronic use of Benadryl. And Saturday night, even the Benadryl didn't do the trick by itself; I had to add Singulair and Allegra D. (It is not a good idea to combine antihistamines but what could I do...)

It looks like I will have to go on Xolair, which is a sub-q injection given once or twice a month. It's $1,000 a shot and I'm not sure my insurance will cover it.
You can take a 2nd gen antihistamine and a 1st gen antihistamine at the same time.

They're not really sure if the link between benadryl and dementia is causation or correlation. It's possible people with severe allergies are more likely to develop dementia because their bodies are dealing with inflammation for so many years.

You should probably read about the side effects of Xolair before you start fighting with insurance to cover it. According to their website, the most common side effects in patients ages 12 and older are pain especially in your arms and legs, dizziness, feeling tired, skin rash, bone fractures, and pain or discomfort of your ears.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
You should probably read about the side effects of Xolair before you start fighting with insurance to cover it. According to their website, the most common side effects in patients ages 12 and older are pain especially in your arms and legs, dizziness, feeling tired, skin rash, bone fractures, and pain or discomfort of your ears.
I did read about it and I'm not concerned about bone fractures, for reasons I probably want to keep to myself for now.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I did read about it and I'm not concerned about bone fractures, for reasons I probably want to keep to myself for now.
Not me...I told my husband if I ever break a leg again, I want to be put down like a horse. I think I have MCAS and Xolair is supposed to help a lot with it but I'm not doing anything that can cause broken bones.

I hope it works well for you, and you can get back to your normal life.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:44 PM

31,350 posts, read 19,764,096 times
Dogs are allowed on airlines. If I had a life threatening allergy to dogs, I would have said something when buying the ticket, to see if dogs were on the plane. I mean, what if the dog was a seeing eye dog? Not that it matters, but she would still be just as "allergic" and "in danger for her life."

The time to discuss this in NOT when everyone is seated and preparing for takeoff.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-30-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Not me...I told my husband if I ever break a leg again, I want to be put down like a horse. I think I have MCAS and Xolair is supposed to help a lot with it but I'm not doing anything that can cause broken bones.

I hope it works well for you, and you can get back to your normal life.
I met with my pulmonologist this morning. He wants to try Incruse, an anticholinergic powder, on top of all the other drugs I'm currently on. If that doesn't improve things, we'll try Xolair.

I'm sorry your mast cells aren't behaving properly.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:15 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,920,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
I don't tell the airlines that I am allergic to dust and seafood, because I do not expect raw seafood and large amounts of dust in the cabin. I didn't know they let pets in there either. When did they change the rules so that pets can ride in the cabins?
At LEAST 22 years ago, since I flew with my CAT (in the cabin) from SF to Philadelphia in 1995 - just had to bring a health certificate, paid $50, and was allowed to keep her in a carrier under the seat. On one leg of the trip my seat-neighbor complained, so a nice lady a few rows back offered to switch. They did not ask me to do anything, since the cat was legitimately allowed and paid for.

You might not have been aware, since it's more prevalent now, but this has been allowed for decades.

Quote:
So people with allergies should wear masks, use inhalers, and give themselves shots with expensive epi-pens anytime somebody wants to sit next to them with a pet? Do you know how much epi-pens cost?
Yeah, pretty much. What do people with allergies do at the park, or in a store where pets are allowed? I'm highly allergic to perfumes, flowers, scented detergents, etc... so guess what? I carry meds and an inhaler, and use them when I'm exposed to allergens. I don't call every store I'm shopping at, or planes I'll be flying on, and request they remove all scented products and people wearing perfume/cologne before my arrival.

If you happen to be seated next to a passenger with a dog, just ask politely if anyone can switch seats. Simple. As someone else asked above, what if it were a legitimate service (e.g. seeing eye) dog? The allergies would still be triggered, so yes, one should ALWAYS be prepared with an epi-pen if their allergies are severe. If you cannot afford one, look into subsidized programs or live in a bubble.

Quote:
Why doesn't the airline provide epi-pens for passengers with allergies? They're allowing common allergens into the cabin, so they should take responsibility for them. Let the airline buy the epi-pens!
Why? They allow MANY things people are allergic to, from perfumes to shellfish to peppers to peanuts - should they provide medications for everyone who's allergic to those things too, or are you only concerned about pet allergies? My mother can DIE if she's exposed to bell peppers (nightshade plants), so she carries multiple epi-pens with her at all times. If your allergies are really that severe, YOU need to be responsible for your health. It's not like you would only be exposed on airplanes, since people take dogs to all sorts of places, so shouldn't you/they be carrying one regardless? Pretty irresponsible not to, if you have a life-threatening allergy.

Quote:
That's what the airlines say, but that rule is not always observed. Some people do take pets out of carriers and let them sit on their lap. If the flight attendants are lax about pets, and passengers don't complain, they can sit on your lap.

I've read comments from several people about being on flights with noisy dogs. Just because your pets are quiet, does not mean everybody else's are.
These are different issues altogether, and ones the airlines should be dealing with directly (through enforced training for staff). But if someone is SOOOO allergic they can't be near a dog/cat, I doubt that having them outside a carrier would make such a difference. As for the noise, again, it's something the staff needs to be trained to enforce. But just like with crying babies, there's not much you can do once it starts! If the dog is barking as they board, however, the owner should be addressed ahead of time.

FYI: When I use the word "you," it's a general "you" - not sure if you personally are allergic to dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or