Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 08:11 PM

948 posts, read 921,285 times

Advertisements

A woman was recently forcibly removed from a plane, because she is allergic to dogs and the airline felt the right of dogs to be on the flight outweighed her right to be.

(Note that neither is a service dog. According to various articles, one is a "pet" and the other is an "emotional support animal". )

Southwest Airlines: Woman dragged off plane after complaining of dog allergies - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

This reminds me of another case where a boy was kicked off of a plane because of dog allergies.

Passengers Applauded As Boy Was Removed From Plane Over Allergies, Mom Says | HuffPost

The really frustrating thing about this, is that popular opinion seems to be against the allergy sufferers. A lot of people on social media are supporting the airlines and condemning the woman who was removed from the plane. The police pulled her off by force, even grabbing her by the chest (which would have really offended me!).

When I was young, dogs weren't allowed in the cabin on planes unless they were service dogs. Now they allow dogs and other pets on every single plane. I didn't know that. My friend has a son with very severe dog allergies, and she didn't know that. Do most people know that?

The funny thing is, somebody with severe pet allergies could have a reaction even if there are no animals in the cabin, simply because there could be animal dander in their seat from a pet on a previous flight! How do you know that there wasn't a dog sitting on your seat on the previous flight?

I have been on enough flights to know that they do NOT vacuum or disinfect the plane between flights. They don't even pick up garbage that passengers leave in their seats.

I always thought that the airlines were careful about putting pets in cabins, considering how many people are allergic to them, and they had restrictions on what pets could ride in cabins, and what areas they are allowed to have pets in. There are no restrictions. They don't have specific sections that people can bring pets on. They could be sitting anywhere in the cabin. And since air recirculates on planes, people with severe allergies can be affected no matter what part of the cabin they sit in.

Doesn't it bother people with allergies that pets get priority treatment over them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 08:16 PM

I've also seen a lot of comments saying that the woman should carry an epi-pen with her (so that dogs can fly with her). Why should somebody have to buy expensive epi-pens and give themselves shots so that spoiled rich people can let Fluffy sit on their lap while they fly?

Old 09-29-2017, 11:08 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
A woman was recently forcibly removed from a plane, because she is allergic to dogs and the airline felt the right of dogs to be on the flight outweighed her right to be.

(Note that neither is a service dog. According to various articles, one is a "pet" and the other is an "emotional support animal". )

Southwest Airlines: Woman dragged off plane after complaining of dog allergies - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

This reminds me of another case where a boy was kicked off of a plane because of dog allergies.

Passengers Applauded As Boy Was Removed From Plane Over Allergies, Mom Says | HuffPost

The really frustrating thing about this, is that popular opinion seems to be against the allergy sufferers. A lot of people on social media are supporting the airlines and condemning the woman who was removed from the plane. The police pulled her off by force, even grabbing her by the chest (which would have really offended me!).

When I was young, dogs weren't allowed in the cabin on planes unless they were service dogs. Now they allow dogs and other pets on every single plane. I didn't know that. My friend has a son with very severe dog allergies, and she didn't know that. Do most people know that?

The funny thing is, somebody with severe pet allergies could have a reaction even if there are no animals in the cabin, simply because there could be animal dander in their seat from a pet on a previous flight! How do you know that there wasn't a dog sitting on your seat on the previous flight?

I have been on enough flights to know that they do NOT vacuum or disinfect the plane between flights. They don't even pick up garbage that passengers leave in their seats.

I always thought that the airlines were careful about putting pets in cabins, considering how many people are allergic to them, and they had restrictions on what pets could ride in cabins, and what areas they are allowed to have pets in. There are no restrictions. They don't have specific sections that people can bring pets on. They could be sitting anywhere in the cabin. And since air recirculates on planes, people with severe allergies can be affected no matter what part of the cabin they sit in.

Doesn't it bother people with allergies that pets get priority treatment over them?
In the situation you commented on, there was no evidence that the woman throwing a tantrum even had an allergy let alone a life-threatening one. If I had such a severe medical condition I would have made darn sure the airline knew about it and had taken my own precautions when traveling in public. Do people with severe health problems pay more for accommodations on an aircraft? Some probably do, but again this woman made no such preparations, just pitched a public fit at the moment when little could have been done.

I have flown with a few small animal pets over the years so have done my research on the protocols and planned ahead. None of the times were frivolous...the animal flew with me because that was the best or only option at the time and it wasn't cheap. I also have allergies but I do not expect the world to drop everything to accommodate me at any given moment because of my lack of planning. If someone sitting next to me tells me they are worried about an allergy to my pet I wouldn't be offended by a polite request to change something, but I would also expect that they take some responsibility as well....use a mask, an inhaler, keep an epi-pen handy, or consider being re-seated themselves. There is no way I can know ahead of time I'd end up seated next to someone so compromised, and neither would the airline unless they said something. Give and take is fair.

And, BTW, airlines do take precautions with pets in the cabin. They are not permitted anywhere other than underseat carriers. The types of animals permitted in the cabin is also specific, but it varies by airline. All this information is available before someone books a flight. Approved carriers are quite specific. The pet cannot cause a disturbance because of noise, smell, behavior. The airline can make some seats unavailable when the passenger with a larger service animal books the flight. Someone traveling with a pet has already "paid" for the convenience....a pet fare, and it is steep even though the pet uses no inflight services. There is no way the airline can guarantee that NONE of the passengers on that particular plane on that particular day has no hair or dander on their clothing. Pet owners who DON'T insist on traveling with their pets have done nothing to deserve poor treatment either.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-29-2017 at 11:40 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
there was no evidence that the woman throwing a tantrum even had an allergy let alone a life-threatening one.
There is no evidence that she didn't have an allergy either.

Quote:
If I had such a severe medical condition I would have made darn sure the airline knew about it and had taken my own precautions when traveling in public.
I don't tell the airlines that I am allergic to dust and seafood, because I do not expect raw seafood and large amounts of dust in the cabin. I didn't know they let pets in there either. When did they change the rules so that pets can ride in the cabins?

Quote:
If someone sitting next to me tells me they are worried about an allergy to my pet I wouldn't be offended by a polite request to change something, but I would also expect that they take some responsibility as well....use a mask, an inhaler, epi-pen, or consider being re-seated themselves.
So people with allergies should wear masks, use inhalers, and give themselves shots with expensive epi-pens anytime somebody wants to sit next to them with a pet? Do you know how much epi-pens cost?

Why doesn't the airline provide epi-pens for passengers with allergies? They're allowing common allergens into the cabin, so they should take responsibility for them. Let the airline buy the epi-pens!

Quote:
not permitted anywhere other than underseat carriers.
That's what the airlines say, but that rule is not always observed. Some people do take pets out of carriers and let them sit on their lap. If the flight attendants are lax about pets, and passengers don't complain, they can sit on your lap.

Quote:
The pet cannot cause a disturbance because of noise, smell, behavior.
I've read comments from several people about being on flights with noisy dogs. Just because your pets are quiet, does not mean everybody else's are.

Quote:
Someone traveling with a pet has already "paid" for the convenience
This is not true for emotional support animals. They fly for free.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:23 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I really give up.. what next I wonder.... they need a companion too with free passage to hold their hand as their scared of flying, god almighty....

Old 09-30-2017, 03:22 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:

Yep I think that's a problem. There's definitely skewed values at work here. The only solution unfortunately since the people with an allergic reaction severe enough to cause a significant issue while traveling is definitely a minority, would be for that person to contact the airline well in advance about their issue so arrangements can be made for proper seating so the contact is minimal. That should cover just about everyone. The rest, well, this obviously is an issue that is very disruptive to their lives since pets are just about everywhere now. They will have to deal with the airline issue just about how they deal with everything--problems and delays need to be expected.

I do have a problem with the wording in your post however. The problem the people of my view have is not with that the woman allegedly had an allergy to pets and that the airline removed her over it. The issue we have is that she *lied* about have a life-threatening allergy. The only thing the airline *could* do when presented with such a situation is to remove her. (Now, probably the police were quite a bit more rude than they have to be. But my understanding is that they do not work for the airline). ********Any other action would have been extremely disrespectful to the other passengers as well as to the woman with the life-threatening allergy herself*************** That, my dear, is a fact that cannot be disputed. People with life-threatening allergies to something in a enclosed cabin for what would have been about 4 hours: ****You can't just ignore that like it ain't a big deal!**********

So, what I see in you post is slander to the airline and I would appreciate it if you would correct your wording. The fact is that the airline acted properly and there should be no further discussion. The issue is not that she had an allergy to pets and the airline tossed her off because of it. Some legal shark may look at your wording and find a problem for you there. (I'm honestly surprised the airline apologized to a outright LIAR. But maybe they were apologizing on behalf of the police who were very unnecessarily rude. That shouldn't have happened and it was downright wrong).

Old 09-30-2017, 06:54 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
There is no evidence that she didn't have an allergy either.

I don't tell the airlines that I am allergic to dust and seafood, because I do not expect raw seafood and large amounts of dust in the cabin. I didn't know they let pets in there either. When did they change the rules so that pets can ride in the cabins?

So people with allergies should wear masks, use inhalers, and give themselves shots with expensive epi-pens anytime somebody wants to sit next to them with a pet? Do you know how much epi-pens cost?

Why doesn't the airline provide epi-pens for passengers with allergies? They're allowing common allergens into the cabin, so they should take responsibility for them. Let the airline buy the epi-pens!

That's what the airlines say, but that rule is not always observed. Some people do take pets out of carriers and let them sit on their lap. If the flight attendants are lax about pets, and passengers don't complain, they can sit on your lap.

I've read comments from several people about being on flights with noisy dogs. Just because your pets are quiet, does not mean everybody else's are.

This is not true for emotional support animals. They fly for free.
I have a severe allergy to all chemicals. this covers perfumes, air fresheners, of all sorts so its hell on a plane for me.... and I cant say a damn thing .

Old 09-30-2017, 07:11 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
Most of us are not putting our dogs in cargo because of the risks involved. Dogs are injured and die in cargo regularly. It's a big world out there and many of us have allergys. Airlines have been permitting PET dogs on planes for years now so how this is news to anyone is beyond me. If someone's dog allergy is so severe that they cannot be on a plane where there may have been residual dog dander from another flight, I have to wonder how they manage in a world where dogs are virtually everywhere? If you choose to not be on board a flight with a dog, check in advance. Most airlines require prior approval with additional fees for dogs. One of mine flies with me regularly and it's not cheap so Dog owners cannot just board with their dog without prior approval. But, the world is not changing to accommodate with small minority of folks whose dog allergy is so severe, they cannot be on the same plane as a dog!

Old 09-30-2017, 08:13 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Simple, she should not fly, if she is that allergic, it is not just the pets but the people who own pets clothing that will likely have pet hair or dander on them, so either she controls her allergies and carries an epipen, as I do, to be used only if the problem gets dangerous, or she does not fly, in reality no place will be safe for her out in public, if it is that bad. I think she is full of bull.

Quote:
Charges filed against woman forced off Southwest flight after complaining of dog allergies
According to the airline’s policy regarding customers with disabilities, if the company is notified at the gate that a passenger has an allergy to animals they will be seated as far away from the animal as possible. It goes on to state that the airline is required by law to transport assistance and emotional support animals and that they do not have to caged. Pets must be contained in carriers.
IMO The woman acted like a spoiled child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1YGg8nYkv0

Old 09-30-2017, 08:37 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I don't know if we're getting the whole story here. There are allergies and then there are ALLERGIES. Meaning that a person can have a slight allergy that might cause itchy, watery eyes and some discomfort OR they could have a life threatening allergy, or anything in between.

I had no idea dogs were allowed on planes either. I don't fly much domestically but I do fly internationally every once in a while and have never seen a dog on a plane. I don't think too many people are aware that a dog can sit in the passenger cabin.

If I were deathly allergic to dogs, I still wouldn't have known enough to notify the airline ahead of time. However, if I were deathly (meaning something like my throat would close up so that I couldn't breathe) allergic to anything, I would carry an epipen. Makes me wonder if this woman was only slightly allergic, didn't like dogs, was afraid of dogs--who knows? Not enough information given. Even though I'm an animal lover, planes are for people and I don't think dogs, cats, or any other animal should be in with the passengers. They are usually placed in cargo --and maybe improvements need to be made to insure they get excellent care on their journey. Then there would be no excuse for them to be in with the passengers.

Saying that a person with an allergy shouldn't be able to fly is just wrong. People need or want to travel. Pets usually do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies