U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 02:12 PM

23,191 posts, read 8,049,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I just retired and have been getting rid of stuff, either on ebay or donating stuff. When my mother passed, she had one pair of shoes and a small bag of clothes. >>goals
I could be like your mother kinda when I go. Just last week the woman that helps me with laundry did me a huge favor. I had a basket of clothes that I never wear or needed washed or or or...I asked her if she would please carry everything out to the trash and she did...didn't even look thru the stuff...things I had not touched in too long....boy was that freeing.

I want whomever cleans out my place when I'm gone, to have as little work to do as possible, there will be enough that is for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 314 times
I would happily throw away a lot of things, but my wife will not allow it. I love minimalism and don't understand to collect so much rubbish around.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:19 PM

We work so hard all our lives, make plenty of money, and collect so MUCH stuff and then it ends up choking us. If we could do it all over again with what we know now.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:47 PM

5,369 posts, read 2,241,923 times
In December, we downsized from a 3500 sf house on an acre of land to a 1400 sf condo in a high-rise. Intentionally.

The last child had graduated.

You wouldn't believe the amount of stuff we gave away or shoved into storage for the kids to use later. Haven't missed any of it.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:15 PM

There is no other name for it all than our great capitalistic country. Work, buy, waste, throw away, that's the U.S.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 AM

15,254 posts, read 12,499,091 times
I hate clutter of any kind and like to get rid of it all... its good for the soul , even clearing a shelf or window ledge makes us feel better , I dont know how anyone lives with clutter at all..

Old 02-22-2019, 08:32 AM

5,408 posts, read 8,105,644 times
I've been trying my best to keep the clutter low. It's my fiance' & I here & yes, there are a lot of papers. I don't know about you guys, but we have a total of 3 wastepaper baskets in this 700 sq ft & they seem to need emptying quite often. Two of them could fill up in about a week.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:12 AM

19,631 posts, read 18,699,644 times
I've been trying to downsize for years but I still have too much stuff. I tend to have a lot of paper sitting out--papers for genealogy, notebooks, papers for doing the taxes, piles of papers everywhere. Then there are all the bone china tea pots, vases, and sentimental items. I can't part with them.

And how can you downsize your living room or kitchen? I seldom buy anything anymore but I'm not going to get rid of pots and pans, mixing bowls, plates, glasses, mugs.

I think I'd like to get it organized better more than get rid of too much else right now. I cleaned out my cousin's house last year, a hoarder. Box upon box of old magazines, ten file cabinets, millions of plastic flowers everywhere--my apartment is nothing like that!

Old 02-23-2019, 01:51 PM

6,824 posts, read 2,787,388 times
I think people confuse "clutter" and messiness/disorganization. You could own a lot of "stuff" but not let it take over your space. If you use the stuff you have and keep it organized to the point it isn't in the way, it's not necessarily clutter. I think "clutter" is made up of objects that either don't have a use, a purpose, or its something you can't make up your mind about. It is a physical reminder of some failed attempt to take action. So, it just sits, takes up space, and interferes with the rest of your life.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've been trying to downsize for years but I still have too much stuff. I tend to have a lot of paper sitting out--papers for genealogy, notebooks, papers for doing the taxes, piles of papers everywhere. Then there are all the bone china tea pots, vases, and sentimental items. I can't part with them.

And how can you downsize your living room or kitchen? I seldom buy anything anymore but I'm not going to get rid of pots and pans, mixing bowls, plates, glasses, mugs.

I think I'd like to get it organized better more than get rid of too much else right now. I cleaned out my cousin's house last year, a hoarder. Box upon box of old magazines, ten file cabinets, millions of plastic flowers everywhere--my apartment is nothing like that!
I have a large amount of bowels, plates etc etc that I didn't use anymore. I don't entertain and it's only me and I'm happy to be able to stand and prepare what I do for myself. I had a neighbor and her husband fill a box of glass stuff and ceramics and take it to a goodwill store. I paid her for this 30 minute job. Don't miss a thing there. And she likes to help when I ask her.

How much do we need as we are aging. Unless many of you have large families and entertain. I don't. For me seeing an empty cupboard is a good feeling.

And I don'f confuse clutter with messiness etc....clutter is a lot of stuff and it can be very organized. Organized clutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or