Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 12:21 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,836,963 times

Advertisements

I had allergy shots for a year and a half. Then I had to stop because of recurring lung infections, not caused by the shots. I hadn't gotten far enough to have lasting immunity.

I intend to start them again when I can wean myself off the steroid medication that makes me susceptible to lung infections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 05:33 PM

7,572 posts, read 4,119,401 times
My doctor wants me to get these shots but I have yet to meet with his allergist. How long will it take to receive these shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I had allergy shots for a year and a half. Then I had to stop because of recurring lung infections, not caused by the shots. I hadn't gotten far enough to have lasting immunity.

I intend to start them again when I can wean myself off the steroid medication that makes me susceptible to lung infections.
May I ask why you had to take steroid medication for so long?

I ask because when I went to the ER, they gave me methylprednisolone to help with breathing. I am at the end of the course and I am still feeling a tightness around my chess. I am not sure if this is still bronchitis or if it is an allergic reaction to the environment or if I have become dependent on the steriod.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
May I ask why you had to take steroid medication for so long?
Asthma.

Quote:
I ask because when I went to the ER, they gave me methylprednisolone to help with breathing. I am at the end of the course and I am still feeling a tightness around my chess. I am not sure if this is still bronchitis or if it is an allergic reaction to the environment or if I have become dependent on the steriod.
It could be any number of things. We're getting close to spring pollen season as well.

Is it possible to go to urgent care instead of the ER? You really should get the chest tightness looked at and have someone listen to your lungs. Albuterol is a rescue inhaler for asthma patients. It's fast-acting and relieves chest tightness. But you need a prescription and doctor's supervision.

If I were you and there's no urgent care available, I would go to the ER. When the intake staffer asks you what's wrong, say "I'm having trouble breathing." They always see me right away.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Asthma.

It could be any number of things. We're getting close to spring pollen season as well.

Is it possible to go to urgent care instead of the ER? You really should get the chest tightness looked at and have someone listen to your lungs. Albuterol is a rescue inhaler for asthma patients. It's fast-acting and relieves chest tightness. But you need a prescription and doctor's supervision.

If I were you and there's no urgent care available, I would go to the ER. When the intake staffer asks you what's wrong, say "I'm having trouble breathing." They always see me right away.
Hi. Thank you. Actually, I met a person today who takes Prednisone every day and according to her, probably for the rest of her life.

I have finally gone to the allergist and they assured me that I am breathing normally. I am still waiting to be allergy tested and it is difficult to do without antihistamines.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Hi. Thank you. Actually, I met a person today who takes Prednisone every day and according to her, probably for the rest of her life.
Is it possible she has Crohn's? Crohn's patients sometimes have months-long prednisone tapers to manage their flares.

Quote:
I have finally gone to the allergist and they assured me that I am breathing normally. I am still waiting to be allergy tested and it is difficult to do without antihistamines.
Best of luck to you. If you ever worry you're not breathing well, there are pulse oximeters you can get on Amazon for $20 or so.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Is it possible she has Crohn's? Crohn's patients sometimes have months-long prednisone tapers to manage their flares.

Best of luck to you. If you ever worry you're not breathing well, there are pulse oximeters you can get on Amazon for $20 or so.
Yes. I bought that immediately after a poster recommended it in another thread.

The lady I mentioned earlier suffers from allergies. She had to stop allergy shots because she was having severe reactions to them. Her normal oximeter range is 65%.

Is the steroid helping your asthma?

Last edited by elyn02; 02-25-2018 at 03:37 AM..

Old 03-01-2018, 05:34 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,610,577 times
I'll share my experience looking into allergy shots in case anyone else here is also thinking about them.

My allergies were worse when I lived in Reno, as I am allergic to sagebrush, which is prevalent there. They improved in California, where I live now, but I am allergic to certain things so I inevitably had issues during certain times of the year. One winter a few years back, I had sinus infections for about a month and finally decided to see an allergist. It was not all that helpful. I found out I was allergic to certain grasses and olive trees.

Kaiser said they could start me on allergy shots but there were so many conditions that I decided against it. First, due to the time of year I wanted to start, they said the shots wouldn't even be effective until the next allergy season. Then, they told me that for the first 3 months or so I had to come in multiple times a week (not just once), get the shot, wait at least 30 mins to ensure I don't have a reaction, then leave. I also had to pay out of my HSA for them.

The last 'straw' was when they told me you can't get pregnant on them and I had to be on them for 5 years for full effectiveness. That meant from ages 25-30 I had to do this every week and I couldn't get pregnant either. I didn't necessarily have a plan for pregnancy laid out with my partner at the time, but I didn't like my hands tied like that.

The allergist then advised I treat the symptoms. So far I'm having a lot of success with Xlear, both the normal xylitol version and the xylitol + capsicum. Just the other night I used the capsicum and it cleared my left frontal sinus.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:59 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,581,113 times
I had allergy shots for Two years. It minimized my symptoms some but it was a pain and inconvenient to go to the doctors . I still have allergy problems but have found nasal irrigation is what works best for me. Clears up my sinuses instantly and not blowing my nose all day. I’ve had 3-4 sinus surgeries and can’t do another. Try the nasal irrigation. You may be surprised. They even have a tip that goes on a water pick.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:29 PM

18,933 posts, read 43,293,093 times
What kind of shots do most of you get? My doc likes to use Kenalog, but I’m just not fond of steroids.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:20 PM

32,783 posts, read 36,033,769 times
I went through two series in my twenties. It helped a great deal. A few of my allergy attacks were life threatening before the shots. Only one--maybe--since. I had to use an inhaler for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies