Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 07:21 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,170,774 times

Advertisements

I've suffered with severe asthma since the age of two years old. Some family members claimed it was "just an act."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/11-year-bo...0137846http://

Cause of death has not yet been determined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 08:35 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,826,951 times
That's such a sad story.

It's unfortunate that people who have asthma, a genuine chronic disease, aren't believed because of the narcissistic creeps who make a huge fuss and call attention to themselves by claiming to be "allergic" to everything they don't like.

I've had people try to dismiss my concerns. My MIL felt that since using steroid nasal spray controlled her cat allergy, such an allergy was no big deal. She kept insisting we spend the night at her house (five cats, four of them long-haired which have a protein in their saliva I am particularly sensitive to.) Finally I had to lay down the law and say that we loved to visit her but we'd be staying in hotels from now on.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:48 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,559,187 times
I would have to do some hard evaluation over what kind of relationship is needed with someone who claimed that allergies are "just an act."

Brushing off what could be a serious medical issue shows a lack of respect, empathy and intelligence and I'd have to evaluate if they're really worth having in my life at all.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:48 PM

7,134 posts, read 4,969,280 times
Asthmatics themselves often don't take their own condition seriously enough. "Oh, I've been thru this before. I'll use my inhaler and that'll take care of it"...and it usually does, but not always.

Hand-held albuterol inhalers came into use in the mid/late '70s--- hospitalizations for asthma went down, but death rate actually went up-- pts were waiting too long to go to the ER, thinking their inhaler would start working soon...and then it was too late.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Asthmatics themselves often don't take their own condition seriously enough. "Oh, I've been thru this before. I'll use my inhaler and that'll take care of it"...and it usually does, but not always.

Hand-held albuterol inhalers came into use in the mid/late '70s--- hospitalizations for asthma went down, but death rate actually went up-- pts were waiting too long to go to the ER, thinking their inhaler would start working soon...and then it was too late.
When I feel an attack coming on, I tell DH and we start heading for the ER. I use albuterol on the way. I have never had it not help but realize that's a possibility. We take no chances. People die from asthma.

We've also discussed getting a canister of oxygen like those that private pilots use above 10,000 feet. I drive alone a lot between our homes in CA and AZ. There are times when I am 100 miles or more from an ER.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:49 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,339,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I've suffered with severe asthma since the age of two years old. Some family members claimed it was "just an act."
I don't say this lightly, but you have some really stupid family members.

Anyone who has asthma should be treated by an allergist who specialized in child hood or adult chronic asthma. No reason to suffer with it.

Take the idiot family members with you to the allergist and let them see the results of your skin tests, and let's see them claim it was "just an act". Because in skin tests, you don't know what you are being tested for and there is no way to fake that.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:56 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,339,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
When I feel an attack coming on, I tell DH and we start heading for the ER. I use albuterol on the way. I have never had it not help but realize that's a possibility. We take no chances. People die from asthma.

We've also discussed getting a canister of oxygen like those that private pilots use above 10,000 feet. I drive alone a lot between our homes in CA and AZ. There are times when I am 100 miles or more from an ER.
You should be treated by an allergist for asthma, not just a family doctor. You can be on a Maintenance drug such as Advair and not end up with relying on trips to the ER. Asthma is not something to play around with.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
You should be treated by an allergist for asthma, not just a family doctor. You can be on a Maintenance drug such as Advair and not end up with relying on trips to the ER. Asthma is not something to play around with.

I have both an allergist and a pulmonologist.

Advair is not suitable for me. I use Symbicort. My last two asthma attacks were due to birch tree pollen, which we didn't know I was allergic to, and dog dander in a place where there should not have been dogs.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:32 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,616,523 times
I get kind of pissed off with people who seem to think it’s fashionable to claim allergies. This one woman, when my wife mentioned she had seafood allergies, claimed she did too, yet would sometimes want “just a taste” of some seafood to see what she thought it it (she’s a food geek).

My wife’s allergy is deadly. I love seafood and we can’t even have it in the house. We have a number of restaurants we patronize that we have talked with the owner, chef, etc. and know, if they offer seafood dishes, they will pan cook her food separately, no cross use of utensils, etc.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:13 PM

13,535 posts, read 9,951,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I would have to do some hard evaluation over what kind of relationship is needed with someone who claimed that allergies are "just an act."

Brushing off what could be a serious medical issue shows a lack of respect, empathy and intelligence and I'd have to evaluate if they're really worth having in my life at all.
Sadly, my family, my parents and my sisters, were all such people when I was a child. My mum thought it was quite normal to suffocate, because her granddad, who was elderly, had had asthma, and my dad, had no interest in me whatsoever. There seemed to be a, let's just see if he'll die attitude. My sisters were just abusive, and even told others that I'd never had an asthma attack.

There was no escape.

Something I should add too, is that often, no consideration is give to a person who has been fighting for breath for, maybe a number of hours, and will be totally exhausted. With me, as soon as I was breathing, I was sent off to school, but since my parents took the illness so lightly, I never had any medication to use while there, because they never demanded any real treatment from my doctor.

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 01-20-2019 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies