U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 01:04 PM

8 posts, read 1,184 times

Advertisements

Hi. So this isn't exactly an allergy...but i'd say 8 times out of 10 after I eat chocolate..I sneeze once or twice without any warning. This happens only for chocolate, nothing else...and it happens more for dark chocolate. No other symptoms. I searched up online that it's probably something called photic sneeze reflex..and the cause of it isn't entirely known. I know it sounds like such a minor issues (it is)..but it can be terribly embarrassing when the sneeze comes out of nowhere and I sneeze chocolate all over my arm (looks pretty gross, haha). With normal sneezes, my nose gets tingly and I have some warning...but not with the chocolate ones. They're like BAM out of nowhere. Anyone else have this with any other foods? Just out of curiosity.

Maybe it's a minor allergy who knows...but there is no way I'm ever giving up chocolate. Sneezing is a small price to pay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 07:30 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,756,086 times
Interesting. I have the exact same reaction to Alka-Seltzer Extra Strength Heartburn Relief Chews. I'll chew one of them and sneeze 15-20 times. It happens about 1-2 minutes after chewing them and it happens every single time.

Last edited by TFW46; 05-05-2019 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Edited to add more info

Old 05-06-2019, 10:57 AM

7,114 posts, read 2,916,317 times
My dad usually started sneezing shortly after starting to eat a meal. Didn't seem to matter what the food actually was or where. Don't recall that he had any obvious allergies to edibles. When a group was eating with him we all knew the sneezing fit would occur. Never failed. Once the fit passed he'd continue the meal without a problem. Sometimes I wondered if it was a manifestation of social anxiety.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:14 PM

7,640 posts, read 4,693,202 times
I have the common sun photic sneeze reflex. Sneezing after eating chocolate, though, seems pretty extraordinary.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:43 PM

2,232 posts, read 1,099,758 times
They say it's something to do with having Neanderthal genes, or not having Neanderthal genes. Can't remember which way it goes.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:13 PM

8 posts, read 1,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have the common sun photic sneeze reflex. Sneezing after eating chocolate, though, seems pretty extraordinary.
so when you expose yourself to sunlight you sneeze? interesting. how long after being in the sun? and yes chocolate is extremely random. when i was younger i assumed it was a reaction to sugar..but i eat lots of other things with sugar and don't sneeze so it can't be. it's more intense with dark chocolate than milk chocolate..so maybe it's the actual cocoa itself i have the reflex to.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:57 PM

7,640 posts, read 4,693,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froscow View Post
so when you expose yourself to sunlight you sneeze? interesting. how long after being in the sun?
It doesn't happen every time, but when it does happen it's right after stepping into bright sunlight, facing the sun.

It is really common. It's a genetic trait that may occur in as much as 35% of the population.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ght-light-cau/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies