Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 05:12 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,372,585 times

Advertisements

Anyone allergic to the Covid vaccine or experienced allergy symptoms? If you do have any allergies, is the Covid vaccine safe for you and are you going to take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 10:50 PM

44,553 posts, read 61,271,608 times
I believe it's too early to tell. I doubt anyone here has had the shot yet.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:34 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,372,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I believe it's too early to tell. I doubt anyone here has had the shot yet.
You're right. Probably not too many healthcare workers in here.

Well if anyone is concerned about taking it. So am I.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:39 PM

648 posts, read 426,455 times
People with PEG sensitivity might have a problem, but they are not exactly being forthcoming about why they think "people with allergies" should be careful. Ingredients?

Old 12-21-2020, 11:57 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,734,815 times
I'm waiting until my immunologist says it's OK. I have multiple drug allergies, have gone into anaphylaxis three times, and have a rare genetic immune system defect which makes me more susceptible to reactions to many foods, meds, substances, etc.

But I want the vaccine! The right one, of course. I hope they figure out what the trigger is and do it quickly. I know they're talking about the PEG issue but I want to know what the lipids which encase the "spark" are derived from. Somewhere I read - and I can't remember where now so I can't cite it - that there may be some derivative of nuts as a component of the Pfizer vaccine. If so, that leaves me out as I'm also allergic to nuts.

I'll keep doing my due diligence and leave the final decision up to my immunologist. I'll have to have the shot in his office whenever that time comes.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:44 AM

18,755 posts, read 17,992,748 times
Two days ago they reported 5 adverse reactions. I presume the number will grow as more of the millions of doses are dispensed. The odds are in favor of not having a reaction, but then these people have not received their second dose. They are recommending that anybody that suffers from allergic reactions be tested prior to receiving the vaccine.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:53 AM

648 posts, read 426,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Two days ago they reported 5 adverse reactions. I presume the number will grow as more of the millions of doses are dispensed. The odds are in favor of not having a reaction, but then these people have not received their second dose. They are recommending that anybody that suffers from allergic reactions be tested prior to receiving the vaccine.
Tested for what? How?

Old 12-22-2020, 02:10 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,745,148 times
Here is the ingredient list:
Quote:
The Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine includes the following ingredients: mRNA,
lipids ((4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate), 2
[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide, 1,2-Distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-
phosphocholine, and cholesterol), potassium chloride, monobasic potassium
phosphate, sodium chloride, dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate, and sucrose.
They're saying the reactions are probably caused by allergy to propylene glycol.

Here's info from TMS and ACAAI about allergies and the vaccine. https://tmsforacure.org/covid19-statement/

Personally, I have mast cell activation syndrome so I will have to see if my allergist thinks I can safely get the vaccine.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:17 AM

18,755 posts, read 17,992,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Here is the ingredient list:

They're saying the reactions are probably caused by allergy to propylene glycol.

Here's info from TMS and ACAAI about allergies and the vaccine. https://tmsforacure.org/covid19-statement/

Personally, I have mast cell activation syndrome so I will have to see if my allergist thinks I can safely get the vaccine.
Even though they sound the same, 1) propylene glycol and 2) polyethylene glycol are different. Here are Safety Data Sheets for both from Fisher Scientific: 1) https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/19870.htm and 2) https://www.fishersci.com/store/msds...US&language=en.

There are other factors involved such as how much of this ingredient is actually in the vaccine. Many times you are talking about very miniscule amounts and sometimes most of it has been filtered out during the production process. But, even miniscule amounts could trigger an adverse reaction in people that are sensitive to things like nuts or whatever, we are all different.

They will be looking at all of this, like I said before, this takes time and a lot of money to resolve these issues. Anybody, anyplace can report and adverse reaction. In this link (https://www.fda.gov/safety/reporting...us-problem-fda) from our FDA there is an online link to report any adverse reaction. Keep in mind that some people, that receive the vaccine, ate something that upset their stomach or contacted a cold right before they got vaccinated. It does not make any difference, each report will be investigated.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:23 AM

36,977 posts, read 40,955,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Even though they sound the same, 1) propylene glycol and 2) polyethylene glycol are different. Here are Safety Data Sheets for both from Fisher Scientific: 1) https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/19870.htm and 2) https://www.fishersci.com/store/msds...US&language=en.

There are other factors involved such as how much of this ingredient is actually in the vaccine. Many times you are talking about very miniscule amounts and sometimes most of it has been filtered out during the production process. But, even miniscule amounts could trigger an adverse reaction in people that are sensitive to things like nuts or whatever, we are all different.

They will be looking at all of this, like I said before, this takes time and a lot of money to resolve these issues. Anybody, anyplace can report and adverse reaction. In this link (https://www.fda.gov/safety/reporting...us-problem-fda) from our FDA there is an online link to report any adverse reaction. Keep in mind that some people, that receive the vaccine, ate something that upset their stomach or contacted a cold right before they got vaccinated. It does not make any difference, each report will be investigated.
The PEG in the mRNA vaccines is part of the lipid nanoparticle that contains the mRNA and helps it get through the cell membrane to the mitochondria. In this case it is part of the active moiety of the vaccine.

I am sure they will be allergy testing the people who have had reactions to see if PEG is the source of the allergy. Folks with a history of allergies will then have the option of being tested to see if they should avoid the vaccines with PEG and wait on one without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies