Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2021, 03:02 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,138,580 times

Advertisements

Fred Meyer had half off their Easter candy -- BEFORE Easter, so the good stuff was still there. Needles to say, I have hives.

I've taken some antihistamine but it's not helping much.

I'm wondering if I need to lay off other foods that could cause hives too? I've definitely stayed away from chocolate, but have been eating tomatoes. Do I need to cut those out too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 03:09 PM

22,831 posts, read 18,124,688 times
The chocolate might not be the culprit...unless you already know you are allergic to it. You didn't say. There's less cocoa in milk chocolate so the type used in the candy (dark, milk, white) could matter. Unless the candy had no other ingredients, the hives could have been triggered by something else. What would tomatoes have to do with it? Are you allergic to tomatoes?

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-20-2021 at 03:18 PM..

Old 03-20-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The chocolate might not be the culprit...unless you already know you are allergic to it. You didn't say. There's less cacao in milk chocolate so the type used in the candy might matter. Unless the candy had no other ingredients, the hives could have been triggered by something else. What would tomatoes have to do with it? Are you allergic to tomatoes?
Not that I know of, but tomatoes are one of the foods that commonly cause hives, and the only other food on the list I eat regularly. I don't know if tomatoes would pile on with the chocolate, or not.

I got hives as a kid when I ate too much chocolate. So I think I am minorly allergic and it only shows up when I way overeat.

I've never eaten enough tomatoes all at once to find out if they do the same.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:57 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,723,062 times
Tomatoes are only going to give you hives if you're allergic to them. I have lots of food allergies but tomatoes aren't on my list. I can eat tomatoes all day and not get hives.

If you're uncomfortable, take some benadryl and some pepcid. Pepcid blocks histamine receptors in the stomach, which can affect skin rashes more than you might think. If you've already taken a 24 hour antihistamine, you can still take benadryl.

If you have seasonal allergies that are acting up right now, that might make you more likely to react to chocolate, since it's been a problem for you in the past.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:25 PM

Thanks Hedge. I'll get some pepcid tomorrow. Good to know I don't have to throw out the grape tomatoes on my counter.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:02 PM

Update: I woke up this morning and found more lesions had popped up to make a line around the right half of my torso. Plus there was blistering, so I figured it was shingles. Went to the emergency Dr and he was upset I hadn't come in earlier. I honestly don't know how I would have known it wasn't hives, especially since it happened to pop up right after I ate all that chocolate.

Got an antiviral that works best if taken within 24 hours of the first lesion. I'm hoping I didn't wait too long because the pain can last months or even years if it's not treated on time.

But there is a positive! I can continue bingeing on chocolate without fear of hives! Whoo hooo!

Old 03-21-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Update: I woke up this morning and found more lesions had popped up to make a line around the right half of my torso. Plus there was blistering, so I figured it was shingles. Went to the emergency Dr and he was upset I hadn't come in earlier. I honestly don't know how I would have known it wasn't hives, especially since it happened to pop up right after I ate all that chocolate.

Got an antiviral that works best if taken within 24 hours of the first lesion. I'm hoping I didn't wait too long because the pain can last months or even years if it's not treated on time.

But there is a positive! I can continue bingeing on chocolate without fear of hives! Whoo hooo!
Don't beat yourself up. While living in NJ I ended up with a vague rash on my forehead/scalp and started feeling somewhat "off" for a couple of weeks. Finally went to my GP wondering whether I had been bitten by a Lyme's-bearing tick. I spent a lot of time working outdoors in brushy areas. Of course I wore tick repellant but they were everywhere. They did several tests for Lyme's but the results came back equivocal. I had a planned trip out west to visit family. By the time I arrived the vague rash had progressed to the characteristic one-sided blister outbreak. You could have drawn a pencil line straight down the center of my nose where it stopped. Went to a walk in clinic in CA where the on call doc immediately diagnosed shingles. A big concern, because facial shingles can result in Bell's Palsy and permanently damage your eye. Started on the antiviral of the time ($500 co pay) as well as a graduated steroid regimen. Felt great after a week, two weeks later it was almost gone. Some residual discomfort but it cleared up after about a month. Remember, all this is is an anecdote. YMMV.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-21-2021 at 04:17 PM..

Old 03-21-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Don't beat yourself up. While living in NJ I ended up with a vague rash on my forehead/scalp and started feeling somewhat "off" for a couple of weeks. Finally went to my GP wondering whether I had been bitten by a Lyme's-bearing tick. I spent a lot of time working outdoors in brushy areas. Of course I wore tick repellant but they were everywhere. They did several tests for Lyme's but the results came back equivocal. I had a planned trip out west to visit family. By the time I arrived the vague rash had progressed to the characteristic one-sided blister outbreak. You could have drawn a pencil line straight down the center of my nose where it stopped. Went to a walk in clinic in CA where the on call doc immediately diagnosed shingles. A big concern, because facial shingles can result in Bell's Palsy and permanently damage your eye. Started on the antiviral of the time ($500 co pay) as well as a graduated steroid regimen. Felt great after a week, two weeks later it was almost gone. Some residual discomfort but it cleared up after about a month. Remember, all this is is an anecdote. YMMV.
Wow, yeah you got lucky. Facial lesions can cause real damage. My antiviral is regular price around $50, got it for a co-pay of less than $4 thank goodness.

Did you get the vaccination? My guy told me to wait till this was cleared up then absolutely for sure get it.

Kinda funny, he asked if I had questions and I asked if I should get the vaccination. He looked puzzled and said, you came in for the vaccination? I immediately realized he thought I was asking about THE vaccination (covid). His brain was so focused on covid I had to say "shingles" before he realized.

Last edited by LeeHoLee; 03-21-2021 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-21-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Wow, yeah you got lucky. Facial lesions can cause real damage. My antiviral is regular price around $50, got it for a co-pay of less than $4 thank goodness.

Did you get the vaccination? My guy told me to wait till this was cleared up then absolutely for sure get it.

Kinda funny, he asked if I had questions and I asked if I should get the vaccination. He looked puzzled and said, you came in for a vaccination? I immediately realized he thought I was asking about THE vaccination (covid). His brain was so focused on covid I had to say "shingles" before he realized.
Yes for Covid, not yet for shingles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies