Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2022, 09:27 AM

1,260 posts, read 929,874 times

Advertisements

Before I get into details, I am going to be seeing my main doctor on Thursday and will ask the same questions, but curious if others have had the same reaction before.

I had what appeared to be a skin infection around my genital area that turned into a bump and was a little painful, and I went to urgent care in the city I am staying in (at the moment not in the city I live in where my main doctor is). The doctor there informed me it looked like it was just a bacterial infection that was most likely received through intercourse. She told me it wasn't anything too serious and prescribed Azithromycin, 2 tabs to be taken once.

As soon as I took them I started to feel fatigued and hours later I developed very loose stools, a horrible fever, body aches, and chills were I was shaking uncontrollably. I felt like I had the flu and got hit by a truck. The next day had no appetite, heart palpations developed, fever went away for the most part (still had some hot flashes though) but still felt very fatigued, body ached and was bed-ridden. Then the following today woke up with only headaches and minor fatigue and pretty much 85% back to normal. Then the following day (today) woke up feeling 98% back to normal, however, now I see I have developed a few pimples on my body, one on my chest, one on my upper arm and one on my abdomen, which I am assuming is a reaction of the antibiotics.

What scares as me a little is the state I am in, has a high case of monkey pox, and these symptoms seem to align to them as well. However, these symptoms also happened all right after I took the antibiotics so it seems like it would be a reaction to the medication really.

Has anyone had side effects or reactions like these to antibiotics before? Like I said I am going to see my main doctor on Thursday but curious to hear if what I experienced is common with allergic reactions to antibiotics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 07:06 AM

4,009 posts, read 2,932,321 times
I've been on a 10-day course of Azithromycin twice for pneumonia, and had few if any side effects. You need to discuss this with your doctor.

Old 07-19-2022, 04:11 PM

22,807 posts, read 18,088,169 times
Doesn't sound like an allergic reaction/anaphylaxis.

An allergic reaction is not the same a side effect. Puzzling to me how many people think they are. Information on side effects and potentially serious allergic reactions should be covered in the patient information provided by the pharmacy. They also tend to rank possible effects by frequency. If I am prescribed a med for the first time, I always read through the leaflet so I have some idea what to expect.

You can also look the information up for yourself. It is readily available.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...s/drg-20072362

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-19-2022 at 04:35 PM..

Old 07-19-2022, 04:16 PM

48,251 posts, read 34,376,230 times
Not an allergic reaction. Side effect or coincidence? I would vote towards coincidence, but your doctor would be better.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-21-2022, 07:53 PM

10,819 posts, read 7,184,193 times
I got chills and fever while taking penicillin. For years, I thought I was allergic, and told my doctors that, until some idiot gave me penicillin anyway. Turns out it was a one-time reaction.

diarrhea is common with antibiotics, too. I never heard of bumps as a reaction. Were you born before 1957? If so, you probably got the smallpox (or was it chickenpox?) vax, which apparently works on monkeypox as well.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:05 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,565,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Not an allergic reaction. Side effect or coincidence? I would vote towards coincidence, but your doctor would be better.
It is definitely a side effect. Antibiotics can mess up the gut and skin biomes by killing both the good and bad bacteria. I am prone to folliculitis and when I take antibiotics, I usually have the breakouts due to the yeast on the skin going crazy. People also get C-Diff infections from taking antibiotics… there are definite risks and side effects from them.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:19 AM

48,251 posts, read 34,376,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It is definitely a side effect. Antibiotics can mess up the gut and skin biomes by killing both the good and bad bacteria. I am prone to folliculitis and when I take antibiotics, I usually have the breakouts due to the yeast on the skin going crazy. People also get C-Diff infections from taking antibiotics… there are definite risks and side effects from them.
Oh yeah. I had ALL of my lymph nodes swell up.... so they thought I either had AIDS or lymphoma, the biopsy showed a rare disease, which I don't have (I would be dead or perpetually have organs failing).... all from antibiotics.

I've had hives from one, yeast infection from another.... but a coincidence is always possible.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies