Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Swerve is erythritol. It is a sugar alcohol. Be aware that too much can cause intestinal problems:

Erythritol Toxicity | LIVESTRONG.COM
I don't eat too much of it but my tolerance for erythritol must be good. Xylitol, on the other hand, is a different story. Even a little of that in coffee makes me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Uck..............sugar alcohols make me blow up like a ballon for about 24 hours. And you do not want to be around my exhaust during this time.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,714 times
my Wife and daughter both are allergic to artificial sweetners especially gum anyone close to them or in car theyget reactions the allergy test revealed nothing my daughter get so ill she has to leave school she was straight a student now wants to drop out so fearful of having another reaction even some benydryl has artificial sweetener in it.ANY ONE PLEASE HELP JOHN B. MICHIGAN

Old 09-27-2013, 03:34 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorose View Post
jmmrn, I have learned through what I have been through that not only food products contain artificial sweeteners. Chapstick and other lipbalms can contain it because it is often licked off. And some companies are starting to add some lesser known artificial sweeteners to save on cost without labeling them reduced sugar or sugar-free. While dextrose is okay, Maltodextrine,while not officially an artificial sweetener, is almost as bad as other artificial sweeteners. Sucralose, Aspartame, Saccharine, and Acesulfame-Potassium are the top four. There is also one called neotame. Stevia, sorbitol, and xylitol are others to look out for. With so many people concerned with weight loss and an increase in diabetes, artificial sweeteners are becoming very popular. A friend of mine swears by artificial sweeteners and probably thinks that I am making this up to not have to lose weight. I hope that this information helps and hope that you start feeling alot better. I know how this can affect work. I am currently looking for a WAH job so that my allergies dont keep me from working.
You are right that they put sweeteners (even sugar for that matter) in things that require no sweetener. Take a look at your toothpaste.

As for artificial sweeteners, I don't know about allergies as I avoid artifial sweeteners wherever and whenever I can. One thing I have learned. You need a long list of all the artificial sweeteners under all their names in your pocket. Sometimes - I suspect when too many customers complain about them in their food - they start using a chemical names or some such that you won't recognize. Isn't Splenda "sucralose"? Check me on that. Candy bars used to "brag' that they contained Splenda. No more. The ingredients say "sucralose".

So, any food marked Lite, reduced sugar, reduced fat, no fat, no sugar added, all that jazz, turn your back on it fast. It will probably have something artificial replacing the natural ingredient that they removed - and charged us extra to do so. My latest discovery is malitol. They say it isn't artificial because of where it is found but the sweeteners ending in -ol are one group health-conscious people warn against.

As a friend of mine says often - jokingly but with a serious undertone - 'Grow your own or do without'. She isn't far from the truth.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:16 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,281 times
Main culprits for me are any diet drinks and things like Sweet N Low. After a can of Diet Coke, I couldn't leave the bathroom for a few hours. I'd never had a diet drink previously and this was delivered with a pizza in error. My thought that 'it won't be a biggie to drink it' was nullified PDQ. Artificial sweeteners in coffee had a slightly milder side effect but by no means pleasant. Folks where I used to work would consume copious Diet Cokes each day. Not one to judge but I was gob-smacked.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:04 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,340 times
I have a reaction to acesulfame potassium. It's not an anaphylactic reaction, but still significant and I feel like I am dying when I have consumed it. I get tachycardic 130s-140s at rest, bladder spasms, strange "hot flash" type sx, and SOB. It took my awhile and a few ER trips prior to figuring it out!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:33 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,192 times
I hope this isn't off subject but I've quit artificial sweeteners for Truvi'a and find I like the taste a lot more.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:58 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,204 times
Stay away from all artificial sweeteners.
Aspartame is a Neurotoxin.
Plain old fashion cane sugar is the best there is. I use dark brown Cane sugar. Also stay away from beet sugar - I understand that they are now GMO.
I buy a brand of Jam that is labeled low sugar. To my surpize it has real sugar in it and no artificial sweeteners.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:00 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quite right OhZone..totally agree.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:23 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Stay away from all artificial sweeteners.
Aspartame is a Neurotoxin.
Plain old fashion cane sugar is the best there is. I use dark brown Cane sugar. Also stay away from beet sugar - I understand that they are now GMO.
I buy a brand of Jam that is labeled low sugar. To my surpize it has real sugar in it and no artificial sweeteners.

I LOVE Polander's and Schmucker's Marmalade - sugar free - lots of fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies