U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 AM

345 posts, read 1,398,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperry3princess View Post
Stevia and equal are the worst..all of them are bad..Just about everyone in my family has reactions to these sweeteners. I avoid them because they are toxic to Intercystial cystits,,but before they would make me nervous..I'd rather just cut back on sugar in my tea and take a couple extra laps when swimming to burn it off then to suffer with that

I would love to find out where you got the data that proves that Stevia is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,129,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
I would love to find out where you got the data that proves that Stevia is bad.
I think maybe they meant Splenda?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,366 times
Default Yep I'm deadly allergic

I have actually been through hell of late. I decided to lose some weight and started taking protein supplements . first was body fortress from walmart skin started burning 1 hour after words. and ended up getting chills later that night , throwing up , lower back aches (where kidneys are) and burnt when I peed . went to doctor next morning and peed in cup got kidney infection from it. figured it must be crappy protein powder. So I ordered
Optimum nutrition 100 % whey gold standard. took 1 scoop and about 60 minutes after words my skin started burning again and back started aching and started burning when peeing. compared the container of body fortress and ON only things they had the same where whey protein which is made from milk. I drink tons of milk and never ever had problems.
and the only other ingredients they had in common was
Sucralose, Aspartame, and Acesulfame-Potassium . I have to be prolly the first person ever to had a problem with ON optimum nutrition. considering
all the people that drank it and never once have a read a complaint.

it is really weird how this stuff makes my skin burn. right now my body feels normal on my head and face but my lower stomach and low back and legs feel burning hot. I can touch them and feel extreme heat on them.
I dunno why the sweeteners are making my basically lower body hot like that .

I have searched through protein powders online and even protein powders that claim no artificial sweeteners. on their labels it shows other wise.

so I'm having to go with bulk protein which has no taste in it at all
because their is no sugar in it. its nothing buy whey protein and that's it.
am gonna mix it in blender with a tea spoon or 2 of regular store bought sugar for a lil taste and throw in skim milk and a banana.
some links

first link from a medical website shows that sucralose
was discovered while trying to create a new insecticide. an insecticide ? yep and im not kidding either .also sucralose contains The presence of chlorine which is thought to be the most dangerous component of sucralose. Chlorine is considered a carcinogen and has been used in poisonous gas, disinfectants, pesticides.

[url]http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/page9.htm#sucralosecon[/url]

[url=http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-sweeteners.html]Aspartame - Most dangerous of all artificial sweeteners![/url]

Last edited by ironsheik7; 08-18-2010 at 10:25 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 19,571 times
Default Thought I was the only one!!!

When I first had a reaction to artificial sweetener was when I was 12. I took a piece of gum from a friend that was Tident. Had a reaction!!! my throat starts to swell which makes it to where I can not breath!!! Well, we thought this was weird but did not understand what had made me do this. Time went on and I got a drink which was Crystal light, had another reaction. My mother and I could only find out that there was one ingredient that matched in both, the artificial sweetener!!! About a year went on and I took some cough syrup and had a reaction to that. Ok, I had taken cough syrup all my life and now here I was having a full fledged reaction to this!!! What the heck!!! I am also allergic to any antibiotics that have ANY amount of penicillin in it!!! So highly allergic to them that I have to wear gloves to give my kids it if they are prescribed it. Now that I find out that I am not the only one and I am not a freak I am releaved!!! I just hate that during family functions that I have to make sure that REAL sugar is used so that I am not sent to the hospital because I have to use my epi pen!!! I also hate that there is about NO gum out there that has REAL sugar in it and that most of the drinks out there are going the same!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:03 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,304,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaycry View Post
When I first had a reaction to artificial sweetener was when I was 12. I took a piece of gum from a friend that was Tident. Had a reaction!!! my throat starts to swell which makes it to where I can not breath!!! Well, we thought this was weird but did not understand what had made me do this. Time went on and I got a drink which was Crystal light, had another reaction. My mother and I could only find out that there was one ingredient that matched in both, the artificial sweetener!!! About a year went on and I took some cough syrup and had a reaction to that. Ok, I had taken cough syrup all my life and now here I was having a full fledged reaction to this!!! What the heck!!! I am also allergic to any antibiotics that have ANY amount of penicillin in it!!! So highly allergic to them that I have to wear gloves to give my kids it if they are prescribed it. Now that I find out that I am not the only one and I am not a freak I am releaved!!! I just hate that during family functions that I have to make sure that REAL sugar is used so that I am not sent to the hospital because I have to use my epi pen!!! I also hate that there is about NO gum out there that has REAL sugar in it and that most of the drinks out there are going the same!
You can get gum at Whole Foods Market that doesn't have artificial sweeteners in it.

It is interesting you mentioned penicillin because when I took penicillin, my blood pressure dropped so low I passed out and had to be taken by ambulance to the ER. I am also allergic to artificial sweeteners...is there some type of relationship between artificial sweeteners and penicillin or is this just a coincidence?

Old 09-20-2010, 04:32 PM

I have no idea. I found out I was allergic to both around the same age and the wierd thing is that I had taken amoxicillin my whole childhood but developed the allergy over time. I almost died November 2001 due to one pill of augmentin. I was unconscious and not breathing. When I woke up I was in hospital with tubes and probes all over. They had given me epeniefern before taking me to the hospital but did not work.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,279 times
Is there a test you can take to see if this is an actual allergy.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmitchell13 View Post
Is there a test you can take to see if this is an actual allergy.
You mean other than almost dying after ingesting something?

Allergists can do blood tests or skin prick tests but the tests aren't 100% reliable.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:21 PM

I am so scared of those test!!! Just because of how bad my reactions are!!! I have anxiety attacks when I have to take a new drug in fear I am allergic to it. I know I am allergic to sweeteners but did not know if I was allergic to splenda or steevia and quite frankly am to scared to even try!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaycry View Post
I am so scared of those test!!! Just because of how bad my reactions are!!! I have anxiety attacks when I have to take a new drug in fear I am allergic to it. I know I am allergic to sweeteners but did not know if I was allergic to splenda or steevia and quite frankly am to scared to even try!!!
Some allergies ARE too dangerous to test. Our allergist won't do a food challenge on peanuts with our daughter. He says too many children have experienced an anaphylactic reaction to risk it.

So all we have are the blood test results, which aren't perfectly reliable.

We had the blood test done when she was a baby and she had such horrible eczema, the pediatric allergists determined she had food allergies. 48 hours after we started her on a special formula (Alimentum), her skin cleared up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies