Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 05:54 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,673 times

Advertisements

I know everyone says allergies are everywhere and you can't avoid them... but there's no way every place is equal for allergies. For example, I am allergic to a lot, but my worst outdoor allergies are mold, grasses, and weeds. When I lived in Minnesota, I could not believe how sick I was much of the year -- it was a nightmare unless there was snow cover. Southern California, on the other hand, is far better -- there's still allergies, but they do not even come close to what I found in the Twin Cities.

So what cities have been good or bad for people with allergies? Just wondering what everyone's impression is of this topic.

Also, is there a big difference for people in urban/suburban environments? I find suburban areas of Southern California and most of Canada to be far more dense than Midwestern and Southern cities -- hence, less groves of trees and acres of grass -- and I think that makes a huge difference.

And while pollen can travel... it is estimated upwards of 90% of pollen lands within a half mile of the source... so it would seem immediate surroundings are very significant.

Hopefully we can get some good discussion going and help some people out here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 09:28 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,712 times
Default Do people really have allergies so bad it would influence where they live?

I dont have any allergies, but I am just wondering with all the medications isnt allergy issues pretty much not relevant?

I lived in Minnesota and went to college up there and I dont remember seeing anybody in the midst of an allergy attack on campus. I think allergies in Minnesota are very rare but then again I dont have them!

I have always thought that hay fever was more of a southern state issue where they have more forests. I didnt think that midwesterners and the west tend to have those issues because its not so foresty.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:21 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
I have had trouble with allergies from the moment I was born. My mother had to change my formula every three days when I was a baby, I got allergic to it. I took shots starting a three was off and on them for years now I have been on them since 1986, I give them to myself twice a week. I take something everynight. Now the only think helps me is Prednisone. When I get really sick no OTC stuff works. Zicam from allergies helps keep things under control for a while. I cannot be out side much in the spring or I get sick. When I get sick, it sometimes says a week or more to start feeling better. Oh yea, I live in Houston and I think anywhere in east Texas if bad for allergies because of the pollen which is starting up

Old 02-19-2007, 10:24 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Stay away from the Tennessee Valley...at least the part that runs through Alabama. Pollen, pollutants, dust all get trapped. Who wants to be on medication all the time?

Old 02-20-2007, 07:21 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
I think Florida is not so great for anyone with allergies given the heat and high humidity that is conducive to molds, fungi, mildew, etc. Also we have a long growing season which means grasses and trees and flowers and pollens at least 9 - 10 mos. of the year. There are things I love about Florida, but this is not one of them! I take two prescription meds and this week I'm having another bout that even taking a Benadryl in between is not solving. I've known lots of people here who, as we get older, we seem to have more allergies. (Even my dog has recurring allergies!)

However, on one vacation 3 or 4 years ago, we spent several weeks in New Mexico. Not one allergy problem! And that was before I went on the regularly prescribed meds. Even my dog had no problems and felt so much better.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:54 PM

364 posts, read 527,141 times
FLORIDA! Everyone I know here has allergies. I just devolped them this year. Now I know what everyone is complaning about. It is miserable. Heat, humidity, bus, pollen... breads a runny nose!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:24 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Georgia is a real bad place if you have allergies...that's why I'm moving.

I didn't have any until I moved here, they have grown progressivly worse and now it's year 'round for me

Over the last 5 years we've had a weather pattern of really mild winters and a lot of rain so mold/fungus ect has been rampent. My Doc sez she's seeing more and more folks with problems.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:49 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,673 times
Regarding medications.. I've tried them all -- all the prescription nasal sprays, and all the antihistamines.

The prescription nasal sprays can have a side effect of thinning mucus membranes in the nose, something I learned only after using them for six years. The result was never-ending sinus infections -- eight one winter alone. Once I quit those, the sinus infections went away. In that case, the cure truly was worse than the symptoms.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:57 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,388 times
I never had allergies until I moved to Florida.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:20 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Regarding medications.. I've tried them all -- all the prescription nasal sprays, and all the antihistamines.

The prescription nasal sprays can have a side effect of thinning mucus membranes in the nose, something I learned only after using them for six years. The result was never-ending sinus infections -- eight one winter alone. Once I quit those, the sinus infections went away. In that case, the cure truly was worse than the symptoms.
Do you take anything now??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies