Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:06 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times

Advertisements

Would like to hear from people, that suffer from this allergy especially those that suffer to the extent it becomes repeated sinus infections. What remedies have you used? If you live in the northwest, did you consider leaving the area for a more suitable location? Are there other areas besides Arizona, where mold is not as much of a problem as in the wet northwest? Any info would be very appreciated, Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 05:39 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,192 times
My son has bad allergies to mold trees and grass. After many ear and sinus infections we started allergy shots and what a world of difference for him. After shots for 2-5 years he will never have to take them again and should have no problems with them again. We did the whole claritin thing and found it as only a short term fix. This has been much better! We were told mold is everywhere, just some places are a little better than others. Best of luck in mold season!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:58 PM

Thank you, glad your son is doing well, and hope he never has problems again. I am in my late 50's so its time for retirement at least on a full time basis anyway. My problems are severe and for me I think I can no longer live in the northwest, I am on my 4th sinus infection since oct, its getting to be more and more of them with each passing year, between nasal steroid sprays and prescription medication, I have had it. Thanks

Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Thank you, glad your son is doing well, and hope he never has problems again. I am in my late 50's so its time for retirement at least on a full time basis anyway. My problems are severe and for me I think I can no longer live in the northwest, I am on my 4th sinus infection since oct, its getting to be more and more of them with each passing year, between nasal steroid sprays and prescription medication, I have had it. Thanks
I understand all too well. I give myself two allergy shots a week and have for years. It seems to help. Also I use Zicam for allergies every morning.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:50 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
My allergies seem to be better since moving out of Michigan. I have had constant sinus infections since 1990 and the only thing that worked was long term use of antibiotics. I have also used a nasal "rinse" made with water, salt and baking soda. If you use it daily (even without an infection) this will keep your sinus passages clear.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:43 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
My allergies are absolutely terrible. When i was in Ireland, from about age 12 i got the kenalog (80ml) shot for it. I get it once a month for about 6 months throughout allergy season. Just to help it i also took herbal remedys too.
Since moving to New Mexico i can only get the shot twice a season, leaving me absolutely miserable from about Feb to Oct. I do take zyrtek and claritin with it also, but cause i used them as a child, they dont help at all. To clear my sinus i generally eat alot of Green Chilies to clear myself up temporarily, and put up with the sneezing.
Dandevder, what shot is your son taking that will get rid of his allergies ?

Old 03-02-2007, 12:54 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
This sounds gross, but works better than anything I'v ever tried. It's called nasal irrigation and natural food stores even carry "neti pots" for this purpose. I just keep a plastic cup in my shower and replace it when I clean the bathroom.

Anyway, you mix some non-iodized salt with water. Not too much, just enough that it will have a slightly salty taste. Then you tilt your head up and hold one nostril shut with your finger and "inhale" the water through the other nostril. The goal is to get good enough so that you can make it go from one nostril to the other.

You just kind of suck it up through one side and shoot it out the other.

The key is to do it before you have any problems. It's not the same as those saline drops. This truly flushes out the sinuses. Tallahassee is the pollen capital of the world, I think, and many docs and allergy sufferers swear by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Would like to hear from people, that suffer from this allergy especially those that suffer to the extent it becomes repeated sinus infections. What remedies have you used? If you live in the northwest, did you consider leaving the area for a more suitable location? Are there other areas besides Arizona, where mold is not as much of a problem as in the wet northwest? Any info would be very appreciated, Thanks

Old 03-02-2007, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the replies, alot of helpful remedies. I thought the dry southwest was suppose to help allergies, the person who answered from New Mexico. Perhaps your allergies are not mold induced.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:37 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
My allergies are absolutely terrible. When i was in Ireland, from about age 12 i got the kenalog (80ml) shot for it. I get it once a month for about 6 months throughout allergy season. Just to help it i also took herbal remedys too.
Since moving to New Mexico i can only get the shot twice a season, leaving me absolutely miserable from about Feb to Oct. I do take zyrtek and claritin with it also, but cause i used them as a child, they dont help at all. To clear my sinus i generally eat alot of Green Chilies to clear myself up temporarily, and put up with the sneezing.
Dandevder, what shot is your son taking that will get rid of his allergies ?
Brian, we go to an allergist that ran tests to see what his exact allergies are and it is made specifically for his allergies. He has very high allergies to mold and certain tree spores so it is more concentrated to those. It also treats for grasses and one other thing that I just cannot think of right now.

We tried all of the claritin, zyrtek and allegra, but after many years using them they are now uneffective. His primary care doctor referred his to the allergist and finally he is getting some relief.

Try to see an allergist if your insurance will allow. They have the best understanding of what you are going through and ways to treat it. There are very simple tests to test your allergies. Blood tests and skin tests are relitivley easy and are not that painful. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:29 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
I think ill have to do that, thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies