U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,978 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for tips for relief of drippy nose & nasal itch related to seasonal allergies.

NO DRUGS please.

Any tips for natural remedies ? Anyone use tea tree oil ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:46 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,206,149 times
I get a clogged up nose and drips due to allergies. I try to have a cup of green tea each day and at night I use breath right strips to help open my nasal passages more to aid in sleep. The green tea seems to help clear me up in the morning.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 PM

15,351 posts, read 27,547,177 times
Sounds like you should try a neti pot.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,610,545 times
Hot showers work temporarily. No luck with tea tree oil, relatively decent luck with ephedra before it was pulled off the market. Why no drugs? Hands down, OTC Zyrtec has worked better than any other remedy..naturopathic or otherwise.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:43 AM

466 posts, read 758,933 times
A great natural histamine blocker is plain old water, LOTS OF IT !! ! Vitamin C and B6 always works. Black pepper is another. Zinc supplements may also help.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:40 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,978 times
Talking tea tree oil.......

Out of desperation, I actually tried tea tree oil, and it did help stop the itching in my nose, and I think it helped with the inflammation slightly !!

I put about 5 drops to TTO into a tiny dish, added some spring water (about 2 or 3tablespoons) and dipped a q-tip into the solution and dabbed the inside of my nose. After about 30 seconds of slight sting, my nose felt much better and didn't itch. I did that 3 times yesterday. It's significantly better today

Old 05-17-2009, 06:59 PM

15,028 posts, read 21,748,212 times
Definitely use a netti pot. It will help clear your nasal cavity of lots of disgusting stuff!

That said, I have HORRIBLE allergies (not sure how bad yours are) but honestly I would rather take my four drugs (yes four) and be able to breath without trouble, not having my nose like a leaky faucet and going through a box of kleenex every hour. I couldn't survive without them!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:04 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,502,697 times
Untreated, or improperly treated, hayfever can develop into asthma. You might want to think about that before you rule out the usual medication.

Try to eliminate any allegens around your house if you can. Pets, wool rugs and clothing, dust, all add to an allergen overload on your system and cause the seasonal pollens to lay you low. Damp mop your floors at least once a week and if you have carpets, think about getting rid of them.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:15 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
Alot of people get relief on seasonal allerigies by finding some local honey and taking a tablespoon per day.Make sure it is local honey.You need to start it before the season and continue.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,058 times
I have your answer!! Look for a local Salt Room!!

I am a natural health fanatic and have spent a lot of time researching an alternative to allergy medicine for my husband's chronic allergies. What I discovered is a special health clinic called a salt room and they use whats called Halotherapy.

It is an old technique of promoting health which looked into why salt miners who were constantly in salt caves never got sick, and also why going to the seaside helps us get over illness. Turns out there are places called "Salt Rooms" which create a man made salt cave with salt on the walls and lots of salt lamps (the lamps purify the air and create negative ions which reduce inflammation.) These salt rooms also blow powdered salt into the air and it works out to be the equivalent of 3 days at the beach in a 45 minute session!!

My family are true believers in salt therapy. It is especially good for kids because there are no side effects and its completely safe. Its also great for ear infections and skin problems!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies