U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 AM

14,445 posts, read 15,457,430 times
Question help for October allergies

Does anyone have any good homeopathic remedies? I get the sinus problem and watery itchy eyes every October. Where I live (for now) its fall so not sure if its indoor/outdoor allergy. I'm really avoiding allergists, been there done that; anything natural that anyone uses? Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 11:13 AM

6,270 posts, read 12,211,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Does anyone have any good homeopathic remedies? I get the sinus problem and watery itchy eyes every October. Where I live (for now) its fall so not sure if its indoor/outdoor allergy. I'm really avoiding allergists, been there done that; anything natural that anyone uses? Thanks for any ideas.
It has been a really bad season for allergies I tell ya.

I swear by Saline nose drops. Also I take benadryl every 4 hours. I use the saline solution ALL day long.
I don't like decongestants though but if you can take them I think Sudafed(not that PE crap) is supposed to work well.

If you don't want to take meds at all--at least try the saline solution for the nose. It helps the sore throat issue as well.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:52 PM

14,445 posts, read 15,457,430 times
Otc meds are fine, I just don't want to go through allergist, cortisone, etc. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,173 times
testing...

Old 10-28-2009, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,173 times
ok, just checking, new here. So, Dreamweavin, if you are still out there, does the saline just act to wash the pollen and histamine out of your nose? I'm just wondering what the mechanism is. I love cheap solutions you can make at home so i want to try this. When I've tried nasal irrigation type approaches before it may work eventually but it causes some pretty irritated sinuses when you jam the water up there and they respond by cranking out a lot of snot, so it's always kind of hard to get excited about b/c my poor nose perpetually has to deal with a lot of snot and it's always kind of unhappy and sore. So I hope the saline drops cause a less dramatic effect. I've recently started swabbing both nostrils with virgin coconut oil which is soothing and smells lovely so you all might try that. At the October crazy allergy season, inside my nose gets so irritated it cracks and hurts, so this helps. Also, I have luck with Antronex, which sounds like bug killer to me, but it's an OTC natural medicine industry pill recommended to me by my alt. health lady. You take a number of them at a time, like 10, but they are little. Anyway, they really helped my itchy eyes which can drive my absolutely crazy and get all red and sore and the skin feels rubbery and i look like i'm a hundred y.o. and have been awake the whole time. I get the pills from her, but i believe you have to order it online. It's not at Whole Foods and such. Good luck all. October is almost over. Hope allergies are too.
p.s. I have been getting allergy shots at Kaiser now for 2 years. Obviously my allergies are not gone, but they are better. It's a hassle, once a week you go for a few years, but then you are supposedly 'cured' for life. It's the only thing they offer that has a hope of literally making your body not have allergies, all their other approaches are basically symptom controllers. Anyway, consider it.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:44 AM

5,509 posts, read 10,137,929 times
Irrigation rinses out your nostrils and that causes the snot you complain about; for me it only lasts an hour or two at most. How long did you try this? It is the best way to get relief but lots of people don't invest the time.

Saline is good; I use it when my nasal passages are dry and if you get the right kind (saline) you cannot become addicted to it like what happens with Afrin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies