U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:11 AM

21,614 posts, read 30,183,450 times

Advertisements

The best stuff is prescription but Zicam has a nose spray for allergys that's real good, but you need to use it everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 364 times
Allerless allergy relief capsules are made of natural ingredients. It contains QUERCETIN & BROMELAIN which is very helpful to reduce histamine level & provide instant relief from allergies. Easily available on Amazon for affordable price.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:04 PM

23,160 posts, read 8,035,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndolan View Post
Allerless allergy relief capsules are made of natural ingredients. It contains QUERCETIN & BROMELAIN which is very helpful to reduce histamine level & provide instant relief from allergies. Easily available on Amazon for affordable price.
I see you are new here. I have posted how I threw away all allergy and sinus drugs and got rid of allergy MD and his shots back in 1995...Grape Seed Extract, been taking this antioxidant about 23 yrs and no drugs or allergy MD's in my life. I have miles of info in Alt Med and even here in earlier posts. This antioxidant addresses so much of our health.

The product you post is probably fine but nothing like Grape Seed Ex.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:00 PM

1,437 posts, read 521,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I see you are new here. I have posted how I threw away all allergy and sinus drugs and got rid of allergy MD and his shots back in 1995...Grape Seed Extract, been taking this antioxidant about 23 yrs and no drugs or allergy MD's in my life. I have miles of info in Alt Med and even here in earlier posts. This antioxidant addresses so much of our health.

OP, I’ve used both of these remedies, GSE is a great thing, going to pick up more on Saturday. The Bromelain and Quercetin are good, I used to buy that formula for years while living in Az. Use both of these and add eucalyptus, which works wonders for a stuffy nose.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 2,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndolan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Both of these are unsubstantiated claims and there is no evidence to prove they work. There is certainly no evidence to show that quercetin and bromelain reduce histamine levels. Any relief achieved by them is likely placebo.

When it comes to allergies, you have two choices: allergen immunotherapy (AIT) aka injections or OTC medications. The OTC medications includes oral antihistamines such as Zyrtec, Claritin, Allegra, and Xyzal. The other options are nasal spray. There are nasal steroid sprays such as Flonase. They make antihistamine nasal sprays such as azelastine (Astelin or Astepro).

OTC medications are fine if your symptoms are infrequent and they work well to control your allergies when they occur. However, if you have suffered from allergies for a long time and the OTC medications no longer seem to control your symptoms, then you should consider allergy injections. The OTC medications just treat symptoms. The injections treat the underlying problem.

The only disease modifying therapy for allergies are the allergy injections. It's only treatment that has been proven to significantly improve and potentially cure you of your allergies. It is also the most natural form of treatment you can receive. It was invented over a 100 years ago before the advent of Big Pharma. There is no patent on it. I've read people falsely claim the allergy shots contain steroids and other medications. That is not true. There are no drugs or medications in the allergy shots. The only thing in the shots are water and what you are allergic to (grass, weed, etc). The way they work is the train and teach your immune system to become normal. Allergy is nothing but the body's immune system overreacting to harmless inert substances like grass pollen for example. As you progress through the allergy injections, your immune system learns and adapts. After some time, your immune system stops overreacting when it gets exposed to those airborne allergens like pollen, pets, mold and dust mite.

The downside to the allergy shots is the schedule. You do have to commit to them. The duration is 3 to 5 years. There is a risk of anaphylaxis with each injection which is why you have to be supervised after every injection. And potentially it may be expensive. It is covered by insurance but everyone's plan and coverage is a little different. Otherwise, if you have the time and you are insured, it is something you should consider before wasting your money on supplements, oral drops and other treatments that have been proven not to work. Allergy shots have been proven to work which is why they are approved by the FDA and is covered by CMS (Medicaid and Medicare). Just make certain that you see a board certified allergist. Do not get them from a primary care physician (family practice doctor), ENT, nurse practioner, nutritionist, naturopath or others who are not formally trained in the field.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:42 AM

3,467 posts, read 4,350,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiopathic View Post
When it comes to allergies, you have two choices: allergen immunotherapy (AIT) aka injections or OTC medications. The OTC medications includes oral antihistamines such as Zyrtec, Claritin, Allegra, and Xyzal. The other options are nasal spray. There are nasal steroid sprays such as Flonase. They make antihistamine nasal sprays such as azelastine (Astelin or Astepro).
Thou shalt deny your own experience! Thou shalt worship at the altar of Medical Science, no matter how much it may fail you!

Sorry, chronic illness makes "epistemological opportunists" (Feyerabend) of all of us.

I'm not even anti-allergy injections at all. In fact, I once convinced a co-worker to give allergy injections another try, and she got through treatments within a few years, got off and them, and was doing much better. Nevertheless, I had been going to the Asthma Center* in Philadelphia for several years when one of my allergies simply got worse. That's a more than board certified practice, with doctors who teach and publish research. My allergies were under control. Then a pre-existing mold allergy became much worse, and they were unable to do anything about it. No, I'm not anti-allergy injection, but your attempt to lay down the for everyone else is tiresome.

*Incidentally, I really don't blame the Allergy Center. I certainly don't think they made my mold allergy worse somehow. They did the best they could within the framework of medical science, but it wasn't good enough. Sometimes that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies