U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:35 PM

343 posts, read 1,277,762 times

Advertisements

My wife who has never had allergies before is getting hammered pretty hard right now. Last night she could not sleep because of the pressure in her head was so intense.

She has tried, Advil Cold & Sinus, Sudafed,Allegra & Ocean Spray. Nothing is working for her. Anyone have a suggestion on what else she might try?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,517,546 times
I use flonase, its perscription but it comes in a generic so its not going to be expensive...I have to use it pretty regularly.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 PM

9,243 posts, read 23,398,710 times
Zyrtec and flonase are what me and my daughter were prescribed. Flonase works pretty good.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:56 PM

19 posts, read 66,437 times
1) Go to the Dr. The best stuff is all prescribed
2) I use benedryl and one of the sinus meds that are now behind the counter. Ask your pharmacist. They can direct you.
3) Get a netti pot or a bulb (the one like you use on babies...if oyu know what I am talking about) Both do the same thing. You rinse your nose with warm salt water. It is the BEST thing to do when you have that pressure. It really helps.
4) Buy three cold compress that are long and you can wrap around your head. WHy three? One for right now, one for when that one gets warm, and a third as a back up or for you...

Hope this helps! I have suffered from sinus issues all my life and the only thing that helps is prescribed meds. I have been off them for a year (baby) so I am the queen of alternatives.

Jess

Old 05-13-2007, 09:34 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,156,812 times
Man, I feel for her. I have bad allergies myself. Hot compresses work better than cold compresses. The heat helps to loosen the gunk inside of your sinuses and allows them to drain better. Bring a large pan of water to the boiling stage....Remove it and place on the table (protect your table with a hot pad or towel!). Lean your face over it and wrap a towel loosely around the pot and your face. Breathe the steam in...it loosens all that junk. Meanwhile take an OTC (over the counter) NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) such as Ibuprofen or motrin...start with about 400-600 mg. (each tablet is 200 mg--so 2-3 tablets!) I always take 800 mg right off the bat. I also take an anti-histamine along with the NSAID, such as benadryl.
Of course the prescriptive drugs are wonderful, but not everyone has access to them or can't get a dr's appt at night time when they are in so much pain and misery. So these are some quick methods of relief that I found work well for me.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,067,853 times
Flonase rules for sinus pressure. My wife is a massage therapist and when I'm struggling with sinus issues, facial massage is amazing...of course that might not be available to everyone

I agree that heat and steam are great for loosening that stuff...but I like soft ice packs for those subsequent headaches.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:49 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,517,546 times
You know what else I LOVE...if you can go to the health store and get you some REAL eucalyptus oil, then put her in the shower with the oil...the aroma of it will open her right up. Don't put it on her skin, just let the steam expand it.
If you can't find the oil, Sudafed makes these HUGE tablets, closer to the size of a hockey puck then a pill and you put them in the shower while your soaking up the steam...both of these are very soothing too me.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 AM

13 posts, read 81,248 times
Stay away from ice-cream

Old 05-14-2007, 01:36 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,873,704 times
Once upon a time, I was on allergy shots. Hated them so decided to figure out what worked best for me. Went through Claratin, Allegra and found Zertec worked, just too good and I felt as if my brain was drying up!

Baby that I am, I switched to Children's Benedryl, it is liquid and I have been using this for 5 years with much success. You can control how much you take at a time if it makes you drowsy. I also take Advil with the Benedryl when I have a allergy/sinus headache, it works much better on me than the sinus meds since they make me feel as if I am on a three day drunk.

I have most of the people I know on this remedy and all swear by it.

Tell your wife to see a doctor to find out what she is allergic to. This will also help you by giving you an idea of what to avoid as much as possible.

I am also using a prescription called Nasonex, this is a mist to spray up my nose, it works wonders when the pressure around my nose is very bad, it shrinks the tissue and clears your nasal passages.

the hot water vapor with or without added scents works great as well.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:01 AM

343 posts, read 1,277,762 times
Thank you very much for some suggestions. I'll go ahead and run this information by her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies