U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2010, 04:18 PM
 
Location: IN
20,847 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Reputation: 13287

Advertisements

I am off the charts for allergic reactivity for gluten. I always try to avoid anything that contains wheat or other byproducts. If I even have a small amount my face will completely swell up and be covered up by red welts. The gluten/wheat literally has come out of the skin pores of my face in the past. I have used retina cream, take a large amount of Vitamin C everyday, and watch my diet very closely. However, I still have problems. What else would you recommend for a person with a severe gluten allergy? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
1,881 posts, read 3,137,407 times
Reputation: 16530
I feel your pain! I have Celiac's-- blood test confirmed only, I'm not willing to do the intestinal biopsy. Any more than a very small trace of wheat or gluten puts me in bed for a couple days, along with vomiting and other wonderful things. My son breaks out in hives with the least exposure to wheat.

Sorry if I'm covering things you are already aware of, just thought I'd mention them in case. Rye and barley have gluten, so it's important to avoid anything with those ingredients. There is some controversy about oats. Those who are super sensitive can't eat them. Bob's Red Mill has good certified gluten free oats. Hard candy is dusted with wheat flour, and the manufacturers are not required to put that on the label. Modified food starch is made from wheat unless otherwise specified (corn or potato). Many moisturizers and shampoos have wheat added.

We have excellent results with homeopathy, so that might be something to look into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2010, 01:22 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
910 posts, read 1,885,639 times
Reputation: 951
Are you sure it's not more than celiac? Wheat and most other grains are usually contaminated with mold and the mycotoxins they produce and they can produce all kinds of weird reactions, most of which your average doctor cannot identify. Also, there's suspicion that fungus might be involved in wheat and/or gluten intolerance. I would not be surprised if you have other diseases or ailments related to mold, check out the list here (http://www.lakeshoreguardian.com/_2007/042007/cohoon.php - broken link) and if so take a look at this list of the Top Ten Mycotoxic Foods for more foods to avoid, but let me warn you that if you are indeed having a problem with internal fungus there will be more foods to avoid as those are only "the top ten".

You may then want to visit www.knowthecause.com , there's a TV show by the same name that you can watch right there online if it's not carried by any TV station in your state.

I've been dealing with this from all sides since I live in S. FL where it's warm and humid most of the year. I've had candida repeatedly and I'm dealing with it now but only realized last year there was more to it (and my own gluten intolerance) than that.

I read you take lots of Vit. C, hopefully most of it is buffered? Vit. C is acid and we need to stay alkalized. All the other anti-oxidants are anti fungal to some degree so you should take them or increase them, especially Vit. E, selenium and zinc (properly balanced with copper). A number of green vegetables have anti-fungal properties too, virgin coconut oil does too and olive oil to a lesser extent. And, of course, there's a number of herbs and other supplements which are specifically anti-fungal.

There's a simple way you can test if the skin outbreak is fungal, get some borax and make a solution of 1 tsp. dissolved in very hot water, then rinse your face with it once it cools to a comfortable warmth and let dry on your face. The rash should begin to disappear quickly. This also works excellently for scalp flaking and itch that won't respond to other treatments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2010, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C.
345 posts, read 1,402,863 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Are you sure it's not more than celiac? Wheat and most other grains are usually contaminated with mold and the mycotoxins they produce and they can produce all kinds of weird reactions, most of which your average doctor cannot identify. Also, there's suspicion that fungus might be involved in wheat and/or gluten intolerance. I would not be surprised if you have other diseases or ailments related to mold, check out the list here (http://www.lakeshoreguardian.com/_2007/042007/cohoon.php - broken link) and if so take a look at this list of the Top Ten Mycotoxic Foods for more foods to avoid, but let me warn you that if you are indeed having a problem with internal fungus there will be more foods to avoid as those are only "the top ten".

You may then want to visit www.knowthecause.com , there's a TV show by the same name that you can watch right there online if it's not carried by any TV station in your state.

I've been dealing with this from all sides since I live in S. FL where it's warm and humid most of the year. I've had candida repeatedly and I'm dealing with it now but only realized last year there was more to it (and my own gluten intolerance) than that.

I read you take lots of Vit. C, hopefully most of it is buffered? Vit. C is acid and we need to stay alkalized. All the other anti-oxidants are anti fungal to some degree so you should take them or increase them, especially Vit. E, selenium and zinc (properly balanced with copper). A number of green vegetables have anti-fungal properties too, virgin coconut oil does too and olive oil to a lesser extent. And, of course, there's a number of herbs and other supplements which are specifically anti-fungal.

There's a simple way you can test if the skin outbreak is fungal, get some borax and make a solution of 1 tsp. dissolved in very hot water, then rinse your face with it once it cools to a comfortable warmth and let dry on your face. The rash should begin to disappear quickly. This also works excellently for scalp flaking and itch that won't respond to other treatments.

WOW ! Great post.

Some doctors (here on CityData) say that there is no such thing as candida.

Your info make a lot of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2010, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
17,858 posts, read 54,158,070 times
Reputation: 30343
I've come to the conclusion that candida is a catch-all diagnosis that can be from a cluster of similar issues, usually related to molds, or bad gut microorganisms. Diet is very important once any of those starts expressing, and as TiredofSFL notes, that expression can come in a host of forms that you might not connect to the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
910 posts, read 1,885,639 times
Reputation: 951
If those people are indeed doctors (they could be chimney sweeps for all you know...) I definitely don't know what they are referring to when they say "Candida" doesn't exist. They must mean they don't believe in a systemic infection of it, because all doctors know Candida albicans is a yeast/fungus that comprises a small portion of the normal human intestinal flora. Candida is also what causes that itchy form of vaginitis that we women sometimes get and then have to use Monistat for. It's also what causes "trush", a painful white coating of the tongue sometimes seen in babies, small children, AIDS patients, etc. But just as it can colonize those mucous membranes it can colonize in other parts of the body (and why not?!). Like all things in this life, given certain conditions, our gut flora can come out of balance, all it takes is a course of antibiotics (hello docs! that means "anti-life"...) or something that for an extended time disrupts the delicate chemistry of the body like bad diet, heavy metals, etc.

For years a/b have been happily and indiscriminately prescribed for anything and everything, sometimes for months, and did you know antibiotics are mycotoxins? Fungus are the enemies of bacteria but our flora contains many good bacteria. Yet NO 'pro-biotics' (to repopulate the depleted flora) were given by the same "genius" doctors. Considering that this flora comprises the largest portion of our immune system (finally the medical community is beginning to catch up with this, about time 'cause even the food industry has,i.e. Activia...), is it any wonder that so many people have poor immune systems or, worse yet, that SO many "autoimmune" diseases have developed in recent decades? I think it only requires sufficient knowledge and the capacity to reason to realize there's something there, wouldn't you say?

So, "yes Virginia, there is Candida" and don't let certain people who call themselves doctors tell you different.

I have bookmarked a lot of great sites with tons of info regarding candida, fungus and illness so I'll be glad to give you more sources, just DM me if you wish or open a new thread (since we are now off topic). Anyone who wants to do their own research can certainly find tons of info, it's all out there if you know how to look, and most of it is
FREE, (except some medical journals) the only thing it costs you is your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
910 posts, read 1,885,639 times
Reputation: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've come to the conclusion that candida is a catch-all diagnosis that can be from a cluster of similar issues, usually related to molds, or bad gut microorganisms. Diet is very important once any of those starts expressing, and as TiredofSFL notes, that expression can come in a host of forms that you might not connect to the problem.

I agree, but I suspect fungi are to blame for a lot more things. Up to now all we ever talk about when referring to microorganisms that cause illness is usually bacteria and viruses, yet fungi are parasitic microbes too. The problem is that they are very hard to detect, there are really very few tests developed to this date and for a few types, but there are many thousands of them and very little is known about many of them. Therefore, it's not farfetched that fungi can cause some diseases that up to know have been labeled as "cause unknown".

Here's a simple illustrated mini-course bout fungi that I found interesting (be sure to check the different types) The Fungi Kingdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2010, 11:27 AM
 
13,140 posts, read 36,729,704 times
Reputation: 12120
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am off the charts for allergic reactivity for gluten. I always try to avoid anything that contains wheat or other byproducts. If I even have a small amount my face will completely swell up and be covered up by red welts. The gluten/wheat literally has come out of the skin pores of my face in the past. I have used retina cream, take a large amount of Vitamin C everyday, and watch my diet very closely. However, I still have problems. What else would you recommend for a person with a severe gluten allergy? Thanks
You'll have to eat mainly a Hunter-Gatherer diet like i do as Gluten is in just about everything except meat, vege's and fruit and i understand how you feel as even oatmeal burns my intestines for days and i'll even throw up acid when i eat ANY grains as it's genetic.

Infact only fatty yogurt or hamburger soothes my inflammed gut when i eat oatmeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2010, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C.
345 posts, read 1,402,863 times
Reputation: 260
Rice- rice - rice ..................... and rice too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2010, 04:03 PM
 
Location: IN
20,847 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Reputation: 13287
Thanks for the great info everyone. I will follow those suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top