U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:12 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,040,553 times

Advertisements

I want to know what the majority prefers, natural medicine vs pharmaceutical/western? Don't get me wrong pharmaceutical meds have come along way since, well ever.They can do some pretty amazing things. But, do they potentially cause more harm than good. Watch any ad put out by a pharmaceutical company. The potential side effects from the drug are sometimes worse than the original issue. For instance, I have asthma. I have been using Steroids for years because they claim there is no cure for asthma.

These steroids are scary, they are used to make your lungs stronger but can actually seize them from working. Best part about it, it can happen any time. You could be using the steroids for 20 years and finally, they stop your lungs/heart/kidneys, and other vital organs.

I did some research of my own because every doctor I saw wanted to give me the same things over and over. I don't know how many of you have asthma, but its scary. Grab a straw, plug your nose and suck air through the straw, don't exhale, suck in some more are, keep holding it in and sucking in more air. That is what an asthma attack is like. Most people who have asthma also know what a really bad panic attack feels like.

The worst part, an inhaler doesn't always do the trick right away. Add a panic attack, with a rapid heartbeat and jitters. It's not fun.

So, I found some Herbal/natural/homeopathic ways of curing my asthma through treatment and physical therapy. That's right, they have physical therapy and cognitive therapy for people with asthma. Why doesn't your doctor suggest these? Because they fix the problem rather than treat it. Some Asthma meds can cost up to $600 without insurance. Some don't have generics, so unless you have amazing insurance, they wont be covered.

I want to know if more people are losing faith in western medicine and turning back to natural/homeopathic medicine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 PM

90 posts, read 41,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
I want to know what the majority prefers, natural medicine vs pharmaceutical/western? Don't get me wrong pharmaceutical meds have come along way since, well ever.They can do some pretty amazing things. But, do they potentially cause more harm than good. Watch any ad put out by a pharmaceutical company. The potential side effects from the drug are sometimes worse than the original issue. For instance, I have asthma. I have been using Steroids for years because they claim there is no cure for asthma.

These steroids are scary, they are used to make your lungs stronger but can actually seize them from working. Best part about it, it can happen any time. You could be using the steroids for 20 years and finally, they stop your lungs/heart/kidneys, and other vital organs.

I did some research of my own because every doctor I saw wanted to give me the same things over and over. I don't know how many of you have asthma, but its scary. Grab a straw, plug your nose and suck air through the straw, don't exhale, suck in some more are, keep holding it in and sucking in more air. That is what an asthma attack is like. Most people who have asthma also know what a really bad panic attack feels like.

The worst part, an inhaler doesn't always do the trick right away. Add a panic attack, with a rapid heartbeat and jitters. It's not fun.

So, I found some Herbal/natural/homeopathic ways of curing my asthma through treatment and physical therapy. That's right, they have physical therapy and cognitive therapy for people with asthma. Why doesn't your doctor suggest these? Because they fix the problem rather than treat it. Some Asthma meds can cost up to $600 without insurance. Some don't have generics, so unless you have amazing insurance, they wont be covered.

I want to know if more people are losing faith in western medicine and turning back to natural/homeopathic medicine?
There are many NON steroidal asthma medications that you can take. Ask your doctor to put you on something other than a steroid.

I use Asthma and allergy treatment option
but that is for preventive.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:47 PM

I have asked. He says nothing besides steroids will help.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,448,462 times
I try to go natural as much as I can and as a whole I feel our society relies WAY too much on medication as the magical fix it pill. I rarely go to the doctor, the only "medicine" i even take is a tylenol maybe once a month. Now, i'm not going to turn down medicine if it was life affecting, but I just feel a lot of people jump to medicine without even looking into natural, safer, alternatives.

I'm also pregnant and will be having a non-hospital birth at a birthing center because I have absolutely no faith in hospitals for my well being. The rates of c-sections have gone up pretty dramatically over the last decade (dont ask me for specific stats, I dont have them handy). I think that's wrong too but that's another debate topic I will be having a completely non medicated birth, or so the plan is. If me or the baby danger of course that would take precedence over anything I believe.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:52 PM

731 posts, read 1,318,707 times
I can't imagine why your doc will only prescribe steroids and nothing else.

I have never had much luck with herbal medicine, they just don't seem to do anything, at all. I prefer pharmaceuticals. I know there are adverse effects and late effects of medicines, but I am fortunate enough that I have not had to use any "new" medicines in a long time. Adverse effects usually bother a very small percent of users.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:40 PM

14,022 posts, read 16,986,758 times
Default It's not either/or.

If you deny that side effects and over-medication are problems in the current practice of western medicine, then you have your head in the sand. And if you deny that there are problems with natural, or herbal medicines (many of which have never been documented for either safety or effectiveness in clinical trials), then you also have your head in the sand. "Natural" does not necessarily mean better, or safe. After all, rattlesnake venom is a natural product, and so are poisonous mushrooms, which can kill you. This complicated situation is made worse by the fact that we are individuals and we react differently to things.

The wholesale rejection of western medicine (except for trauma treatment following accidents) is a form of paranoia, an emotional rejection of the astounding progress that the human race has made on a rational, analytical, and logical level. And the unthinking embrace of everything about western medicine is a form of denial.

One of the strong points of western medicine is that it is self-correcting; as more things are discovered and as understanding becomes more sophisticated, medical "truth" evolves. Example: western medicine has started to embrace age-old practices such as yoga and tai chi. One source for this last statement is the eighth edition (2009) of the American College of Sports Medicine's (ACSM) "Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription". The ACSM is one of the most respected, trusted, and authoritative bodies in the world as far as evidence-based conclusions are concerned.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,246,712 times
To each his own. It depends on the person, the condition, the doctor, the severity of symptoms, and so on. Each person's body reacts differently to the same drug. Using both pharmaceutical and natural treatments is also an option. I have had some good experiences with drugs and bad ones too. SSRI's are the only thing that got me out of my long-term depression, but SSRI's and Lyrica didn't really do much good for my FMS. Nor did vitamins, though. So far the only thing that has proven helpful for my FMS is exercise and chronic pain management. But I also know depressed people who got nothing out of SSRI's and FMS patients who said Lyrica changed their life. I've also tried every alternative therapy under the sun, and some work for me and some don't. So even within pharmaceuticals and within alternative medicine, some may work and some may not for the same patient and condition. In the end, I think each case has to be assessed individually.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,716,614 times
I like a nice mix of the two. On the other hand, around 99% of all pharmaceuticals have their basis in nature. Aspirin, valium, digitalis = white birch (or) willow, valerian root, foxglove. And so on and so forth. Without nature, most of the "drugs" people take wouldn't exist. They are derivitives and componential extractions of organic compounds.

Regardless, I like my synthesized inorganic thyroid replacement. I -could- get the natural stuff from a pig, but I prefer my pork fried and greasy, not in pill form.

I don't know or care where my ambien comes from. I only know that it works. It used to take me 2-3 hours to fall asleep, no matter how tired I was. Now, I'm asleep within 20 minutes of turning off the light. If that's addiction, I'm grateful for it. No side effects though I think I might've had sex with my husband while I was asleep and woke up not remembering. Not exactly a bad thing, eh?

However, I'm a strong proponent of aromatherapy and don't own first aid or burn cream. I use tea tree and lavender, respectively. I make my own muscle lotions for when I have cramps or muscle ache or neck strain.

So I like both.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,138,700 times
If you have steroid inhaler (I have one too) it should be pretty safe to use as the absorption into the entire body is minimal... steroid pills are another thing. If I don't use steroid inhaler I'd pretty much have to move away from any pollution, cut out all sugars, fats, milk, and eggs from my diet, and eat a bunch of omega 3 and flaxseed oils. I am choosing the inhaler because I am unable to do all that.

I like some pharmaceutical products, and I like some "natural" remedies. Some herbs are pretty horrendous though, as they are essentially just chemicals in a less pure form. I think the worst offenders are overprescribed antibiotics for simple UTIs or viral URIs (because you can get resistance), prescription sedatives and painkillers, and antidepressants (not clear if they work that well). For these things I think a nice course of natural remedy should be attempted.

The sedatives and painkillers just make people addicted and then they become annoying.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 PM

Yeah, I have noticed that there are many things on both sides that work and that don't. I have gone to a few supplement stores in my area and browsed everything. The owner of one of the stores told me a few things they have are just because they sound good. They don't actually do what they claim. When asked why he sells them? He said its because they work as a placebo for some people, and for some, that is all they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine