U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:54 AM

521 posts, read 596,982 times
Default What is a good home cure or remedy for Poison Ivy or Poison Sumac?

Man.. I was hoping i wouldn't get poison ivy/sumac this summer, but I've come down with it, and it's driving me up a wall.
I've tried Ivy-Dry, and another pink paste by that company that dries after a few minutes.
I've got some Domeboro, but it's takes a long time and the blisters are getting more & more, not less.
It's the weekend so there's no doctor's office, we could visit...
Someone told me that oatmeal is good, but not sure how to apply that.

Does anyone know of a good cure for poison sumac? I think it's that not the poison ivy, cuz it's so so itchy, and blistering like crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 12:41 PM

16,264 posts, read 29,836,920 times
You make a paste with oatmeal and water and apply it to the affected areas. Topical benedryl might help if the blisters aren't open- would sting if they were. Or you can pour a lot of oatmeal in a bath and soak. Never tried it so don’t know if it really helps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:03 PM

How long do you leave the oatmeal paste on SouthernBelle? what's the mixture of oatmeal to water? Half oatmeal, half water?
I'll give it a try. I've tried several products on the market and they're not working too well..

Ugh.. poison ivy or sumac is one of the most miserable allergies you can have, once it hits ya. Ugh..
I don't think I'll be going outside at all this weekend. It's too hot and I'm miserable with all this itching. TY for the post though. I'll give that a try.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 PM

16,264 posts, read 29,836,920 times
I have no idea, just reading about it there wasn't a formula. I think stir in water slowly until it's a thick paste that will stick to you. Or google if.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:50 PM

6,441 posts, read 2,047,110 times
Try homeopathic rhus tox. That will most likely take care of it. Do a search here on poison ivy to see comments for poison ivy help on another thread.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:22 PM

9,719 posts, read 9,296,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
Man.. I was hoping i wouldn't get poison ivy/sumac this summer, but I've come down with it, and it's driving me up a wall.
I've tried Ivy-Dry, and another pink paste by that company that dries after a few minutes.
I've got some Domeboro, but it's takes a long time and the blisters are getting more & more, not less.

Does anyone know of a good cure for poison sumac? I think it's that not the poison ivy, cuz it's so so itchy, and blistering like crazy!
Poison Ivy - Rhus Dermatitis

* Cold, wet compresses several times per day for the blistering for first 3 days

* An over the counter hydrocortisone cream until you can contact your doctor for something stronger

* Short, cool baths with colloidal oatmeal (Aveeno):

AVEENO® SOOTHING BATH TREATMENT

*Anti histamines. I take Claritin (generic) in the morning. Benadryl at night may help the itching and also help you sleep.

If extensive areas are involved, you may need a short course of steroid by mouth. You'll need a prescription for that.

Hope you feel better soon. I can empathize!

Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 PM

998 posts, read 3,399,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post

I just had it.. I'm so alergic to it. I found that hot water on it helps tremendously. I take a washcloth and soak it with as hot as water as I can stand. It seems to take the itch out for quite awhile.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:17 PM

5,835 posts, read 14,514,394 times
Ugh, that is awful. I had poison ivy last year and it's the worst. I got pills prescribed + he recommended an OTC powder to mix with water, and honestly I didn't think the OTC powder did much at all. The pills barely took the edge off. Does your area have a walk-in clinic open on weekends? Anyway I used Aveeno poison ivy itch stuff and that seemed to help the most.
Sorry you are going through this.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 PM

i used some technu product. seems to help somewhat..... i am still covered in blisters tho. need some steroids....rx

Old 07-09-2011, 08:50 PM

what was the aveeno product called?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine