Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times

Advertisements

In large part, the medical community still apparently does not fully accept the comprehensive dangers of an overgrowth of candida yeast in the body and the toxins that are given off by this yeast. I'm a believer now and am currently trying garlic supplements to help get the yeast under control. I was craving bread,pasta and sweets over the holidays that only got worse with the new year and also a skin rash that I had never seen before.Also feelings of tiredness, fatigue and mental sluggishness persisted. This episode of cravings was not new to me but I never connected the dots before with a candida overgrowth.

Has anyone had any experience also with using Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar or Caprylic Acid to treat their yeast problem?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-31-2012 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: no links to their affiliate program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 02:29 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
In large part, the medical community still apparently does not fully accept the comprehensive dangers of an overgrowth of candida yeast in the body and the toxins that are given off by this yeast. I'm a believer now and am currently trying garlic supplements to help get the yeast under control. I was craving bread,pasta and sweets over the holidays that only got worse with the new year and also a skin rash that I had never seen before.Also feelings of tiredness, fatigue and mental sluggishness persisted. This episode of cravings was not new to me but I never connected the dots before with a candida overgrowth.

Has anyone had any experience also with using Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar or Caprylic Acid to treat their yeast problem?
I don't have a problem with yeast (that I am aware of) but this past year I was feeling bad, with one very scary symptom of irregular heart beat. I was diagnosed as diabetic, so I changed by diet by REALLY cutting back on carbs and eating more alkaline. Try to change your diet to alkaline foods and definitely add Dr. Bragg's vinegar. I just started taking it, and my heart palps are GONE! Even a very bad black skin tag on my face started fading and shrinking by itself! The vinegar is very alkalyzing, plus it has a lot of trace minerals and is also a mild electrolyte. Very important for the body to be alkaline, especially with yeast issues. Cut out the breads and sweets! If you do eat bread, just a serving or two, and make it healthy whole grain. Forget any refined stuff, those are not your friend.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:52 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post

I drink it everyday.
I use 2 teaspoons of any good quality organic apple cider vinegar (it doesn't have to be braggs) in a big glass (16 0z) of water and drink a bit throughout the day to keep the system alkalized.
A daily "dose" of a good friendly bacteria supplement (pro-biotic) is also a good thing to do.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Which system are you trying to keep alkylized? And, do you actually test your body's Ph levels daily to make sure it's exactly where you're trying to get it?

I mean - the body has -natural- ph levels, that are -naturally- healthy, for humans. Human skin, for instance, is typically around 5.5. Pancreatic fluid, is typically 8.1. Gastric juice in the stomach needs to be pretty close to 1.0. The water that makes up around 90% of your body should be approximately 6.81, and you should expect to see your blood ph level at around 7.35-7.45.

If they're *not* near or at these levels, then you probably should find out why. And then treat whatever is causing the ph levels to be off. Treating the ph level by changing it, won't fix whatever's causing it to be off in the first place. Your body should not -need- any alkylinization, or infusion of bacteria.

As for pro-biotics, there's really no reason anyone should take them, unless they find it helpful in alleviating diarrhea, or gastric upset generally caused by lactose intolerance with ingestion of dairy products. That's because lactic acid bacteria is a pro-biotic, and that bacteria converts lactose into lactic acid, which allows for better tolerance of dairy (but doesn't cure intolerance, or guarantee tolerance - only better tolerance).

Old 03-31-2012, 08:15 PM

Oy. *sigh*
It's my guess that most people who are dealing with health issues (and that's a whole lotta people whether they're manifesting obvious symptoms or not) would find that, if they had their arterial (i think that's what it's called) blood and their saliva tested for pH balance, it would fall below that slightly alkaline 7+ range.
If i'm remembering correctly the urine pH would be just below 7.
The diets that so many people subsist on (like a lot of meat, refined flour products, sugar, dairy) and the stress that has become normative in this culture creates a system that is less than optimal re; pH balance.
Apple cider vinegar is also very supportive for liver function o.p. and has a number of other health benefits.
Another simple thing to do is drink a hot glass of water with a lemon squeezed into it every morning before you have breakfast.
I have found this to be most helpful.
And pro-biotics are a relatively inexpensive way to balance the intestinal flora.
If anyone wants to debate the fact that this balance is key to good health and that this balance is greatly interfered with by, say the use of anti-biotics, and that candida albicans is an issue for many people for a whole host (good pun) of reasons, count me out. Been there, done that.
And o.p. i don't know if your a male (if you're a male, oooops ) or female but if you deal with vaginal yeast infections the best way to deal with it (and i've done this a lot in my past when it was an issue) is to insert a couple of pro-biotic gel caps into your vagina (at night as there will be some leakage). It works like a charm. There's no need to spend money at the pharmacy for those stupid products.
I read once on another thread that a woman inserted garlic into her vagina to address a vaginal yeast infection. Eee gads, don't do that. It burns like crazy.
All the best o.p..

Last edited by jaijai; 03-31-2012 at 08:36 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 PM

If your intestines aren't doing anything weird, you don't need them to be balanced. As I said - lactic acid bacteria is particularly useful for people with lactose intolerance, who are experiencing gastric upset as a result of consuming dairy. That is a good function of a pro-biotic.

But balancing intestinal flora with pro-biotics is not going to treat candida albicans.

Also, you recommend apple cider vinegar in one sentence - which is an alkyline.
You then recommend lemon juice in the very next sentence - which is an acid.

If your PH level is too acidic, why in the world would you fix that with citric acid?

All of this "natural" medicine is confusing the issues and make it difficult for people to make simple, clear decisions about fixing what's wrong, and maintaining what's right.

Most people do -not- suffer from systemic candida, on a regular basis, or even more than once or twice in a lifetime. If you are suffering from systemic candida to the extent that you feel you need daily doses of apple cider vinegar for an indeterminate amount of time, then you should be finding out WHY you are suffering from it, and fix THAT. Whatever that is. If it's stress, then destress. If destressing means pop a xanax once a week, then pop a xanax once a week. If it means jogging 10 minutes a day, then jog 10 minutes a day. If it means getting a pedicure once a month, then do it. If you are exposed to environmental toxins that are causing it, then start wearing a sanitary mask, or gloves, or get an oxygen tank, or move, or change jobs, so that you minimize your exposure. If it's something you're eating, then stop eating that. If it's allergies, then take an antihistimine. Or let someone else walk the dog and keep him off your bed, or whatever is the most logical option.

Drinking apple cider vinegar is not going to fix whatever is causing that bacteria from forming and growing out of control.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:38 PM

I know that you think that you know what you're talking about but .......... errrr, ummm, oh never mind.
Me done.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I drink it everyday.
I use 2 teaspoons of any good quality organic apple cider vinegar (it doesn't have to be braggs) in a big glass (16 0z) of water and drink a bit throughout the day to keep the system alkalized.
A daily "dose" of a good friendly bacteria supplement (pro-biotic) is also a good thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Oy. *sigh*
It's my guess that most people who are dealing with health issues (and that's a whole lotta people whether they're manifesting obvious symptoms or not) would find that, if they had their arterial (i think that's what it's called) blood and their saliva tested for pH balance, it would fall below that slightly alkaline 7+ range.
If i'm remembering correctly the urine pH would be just below 7.
The diets that so many people subsist on (like a lot of meat, refined flour products, sugar, dairy) and the stress that has become normative in this culture creates a system that is less than optimal re; pH balance.
Apple cider vinegar is also very supportive for liver function o.p. and has a number of other health benefits.
Another simple thing to do is drink a hot glass of water with a lemon squeezed into it every morning before you have breakfast.
I have found this to be most helpful.
And pro-biotics are a relatively inexpensive way to balance the intestinal flora.
If anyone wants to debate the fact that this balance is key to good health and that this balance is greatly interfered with by, say the use of anti-biotics, and that candida albicans is an issue for many people for a whole host (good pun) of reasons, count me out. Been there, done that.
And o.p. i don't know if your a male (if you're a male, oooops ) or female but if you deal with vaginal yeast infections the best way to deal with it (and i've done this a lot in my past when it was an issue) is to insert a couple of pro-biotic gel caps into your vagina (at night as there will be some leakage). It works like a charm. There's no need to spend money at the pharmacy for those stupid products.
I read once on another thread that a woman inserted garlic into her vagina to address a vaginal yeast infection. Eee gads, don't do that. It burns like crazy.
All the best o.p..
Vinegar is acetic acid. It will not "alkalize" anything. One or two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar per day is going to be overwhelmed by the acid produced by the stomach in response to eating.

As AnonChick has pointed out, it is totally unnecessary to try to alter the acid / base balance of the body with diet. The acid / base balance is tightly controlled by complex mechanisms. Drinking vinegar is not going to do anything to that.

There is some evidence that vinegar consumed with carbohydrate in a meal may lower the absorption of the carbohydrate and have a beneficial effect on blood sugar. So feel free to have oil and vinegar dressing on your salad along with your bread or pasta.

The concept of Candida "overgrowth" causing vague symptoms like fatigue is just bad pseudoscience. It is possible to get serious fungal infections, but if you get one you will be very, very sick. You are not likely to get a bad infection with Candida unless your immune system is totally out of whack from something like treatment for cancer.

Probiotics for the GI system help replenish the normal bacteria that reside in the colon, which can indeed be altered by taking antibiotics. Normal vaginal bacteria can also be altered by taking antibiotics; however, these bacteria are not the same as intestinal bacteria. There is research into the use of vaginal probiotics. Some promising organisms have been identified but nothing is currently clinically available.

Women who think they have a vaginal yeast infection have the option of seeing a physician and being tested to make a diagnosis before being treated (the best option for someone who has never had a yeast infection before) or using an over the counter yeast medication first and seeing a doctor if the symptoms do not improve. That usually means that the symptoms were not caused by yeast in the first place. Using a probiotic meant for GI use is not likely to do anything for an established vaginal yeast infection.

Candida is in the environment. It is inescapable. many people are colonized with it and have no problems with it. It does not need to be treated at all.

Diabetes is one factor that can cause recurrent skin and vaginal yeast infections and is something that should be looked for in people with repeated, confirmed infections.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:12 AM

Actually, vinegar might have among its chemical constituents an acid, but at base it is 2.0 on the alkyline side.

Of course, most of your body's systems, except for gastric juice, needs to be -more- alkyline than the base level of vinegar. And so sucking down vinegar, using the pseudoscience that the suckers insist on believing, would actually make your body more -acidic- - because it would lower the alkylinity, not raise it.

But if you REALLY want to push your body into alkyline, you should be sucking down baking soda, at a whopping 9.0. Go ahead, do it. I'm sure the physicians will love the extra income when the bunch of you come in wailing in agony because your digestive system no longer has enough acid to digest food.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 AM

37,098 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Actually, vinegar might have among its chemical constituents an acid, but at base it is 2.0 on the alkyline side.

Of course, most of your body's systems, except for gastric juice, needs to be -more- alkyline than the base level of vinegar. And so sucking down vinegar, using the pseudoscience that the suckers insist on believing, would actually make your body more -acidic- - because it would lower the alkylinity, not raise it.

But if you REALLY want to push your body into alkyline, you should be sucking down baking soda, at a whopping 9.0. Go ahead, do it. I'm sure the physicians will love the extra income when the bunch of you come in wailing in agony because your digestive system no longer has enough acid to digest food.
A pH of 7.0 is neutral. Above that is alkaline and below it is acidic.

The pH of apple cider vinegar is about 4.25 to 5.00. It is definitely acidic. Drinking it undiluted can actualy burn your mouth and throat. Taking baking soda can temporarily neutralize whatever acid is in the stomach, but it will not do any damage. Since it is sodium bicarbonate, the amount of sodium in it can be a problem for some folks. There are much better antacids.

Whether you take vinegar or baking soda you will not, as you have said, alter the acid / base balance of your body. Your kidneys and lungs take care of that quite nicely if you are healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine