Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I used to be given a spoonful of sugar with kerosene (coal oil) for a cold and cough.
I forgot about that one! My mom got that as a kid. Kerosene and cherry syrup. She loved it. Goes without saying that this is indeed not only unscientific but dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
My Mom told me when she was a kid, for an ear ache her Dad would put urine in her ear. No, he didn't actually pee in her ear he would pee in a bottle and then pore it in. She was born on a farm in 1923. So I guess one of those old home remedies that we can't even imagine today. The thing I hated the worse was the "pump gun" for constipation.
Urine? Holy moly!

What's a "pump gun"?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Forgot about turpintine.....a couple of tablespoons for menstrural cramps. All I had to do was think about it and I would be cured. That's a Wonder Drug!!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Forgot about turpintine.....a couple of tablespoons for menstrural cramps. All I had to do was think about it and I would be cured. That's a Wonder Drug!!
Like so many 'cures', they didn't keep you healthy so much as keep you quiet. I'd bet that anyone contributing to this thread would agree that they were afraid mom (or grandma) would find out they were sick or even "getting sick" for fear of the 'cure'.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:35 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Working in health care, I've heard some strange ones. What seems universal is that whatever mom or grandma gave 1) It had no rational basis in science, 2) The person getting it really didn't like it, 3) It actually did end up making them feel better, and 4) Notwithstanding that it seemed to work, they'd wouldn't likely give it to their kids.

For me it was mustard plasters on my chest for a chest cold.
Flaming sore throat...
Mother given 'cure'...

A concoction of these fine ingredients:

a huge amount of fresh garlic
cayenne pepper
fresh lemon juice

compounded together to make a 'tea'

I ended up at the doc anyways.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:43 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Alcohol to clean cuts and scrapes was by far the worst remedy for me.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 AM

Just gargling with undiluted Listerine was no picnic.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:38 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times
Some brown cough medicine. It was the most disgusting thing I ever tasted and smelled but it sure did get rid of my coughs.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Some brown cough medicine. It was the most disgusting thing I ever tasted and smelled but it sure did get rid of my coughs.
Sounds like "Buckley's". Nasty stuff, but at least it's reasonable to expect that to help. You can't say that about purges or kerosene, for example.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Actually there's merit in Vicks (which is why it's so popular). The specific application of tube-sock + vicks, not so much. But a washcloth + vicks, or just rubbing it in, or using a hot-air humidifier with vicks, definitely. It contains menthol and camphor. Camphor is an antisceptic and contains microbial properties, while menthol is a topical analgesic. Both work together as a vasodilator, which results in attracting heat to the surface. Very useful for colds and winter virii, it promotes productive coughing, which is what you need, when you're dry-coughing when you're sick. When you start hearing that wet icky rattle after a few days of dry-coughing and barely being able to breathe because you feel like someone parked a semi on your chest, you know you're on your way to feeling better, because the cough is "breaking up."
There was nothing special in the tube sock.. Just handy. And yes, we used old washcloths,rags,etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine