Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 PM

258 posts, read 673,021 times

Advertisements

My 10 year old daughter has a really hard tome getting to sleep at night. No matter, what time, we go to bed, it's a good 1 - 11/2 hours if not more before she drifts off to sleep. We don't watch tv/computer, no sugary suff in the night, we eat early and at night, it's milk and banana. We have a fan for white noise and some intrumental music on low volume for music. I feel really bad - in the mornings, she is so tired and has to leave for school early. She has the TIC - she blinks a lot very very often and a few other such habits. She may be low on melatonin and I am not ready to give her the supplements, harmless as they are claimed to be.

Is there anything I can do for her? Aromatherapy will probably be ineffective? Anything else come to mind? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
LittleDolphin wrote: Insomnia--Your Cures that Work

Things like melatonin, tryptophane, theanine, kava, etc are hit and miss for me, but 1/2 tsp Bali Kratom around 5PM works without fail. I purchase a strain called Baik Bali from mmmspeciosa.com. Due to its high degree of effectiveness, it is very popular and often out of stock.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I'm glad someone mentioned calcium, magnesium and zinc. I'm onto zinc lately and it's working wonders. Zinc piccolinate. I was already taking the cal/mag. I think insomnia is different for everyone and it's not necessarily due to nerves.

Valerian root has never done a thing for me; neither has melatonin. It seems to be the mineral imbalances for me. I cannot believe the amount of zinc I seem to need though. I know you need more as you age and if you've been sick but my body seems to be like a sponge for the zinc. I'm taking more than they say to take but it just keeps helping and helping with my fibromyaglia and a knee injury that wasn't healing plus the sleeping. I have to be my own doctor because if I asked my dr he'd tell me to stop taking it. I've probably had this deficiency for decades!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm glad someone mentioned calcium, magnesium and zinc. I'm onto zinc lately and it's working wonders. Zinc piccolinate. I was already taking the cal/mag. I think insomnia is different for everyone and it's not necessarily due to nerves.

Valerian root has never done a thing for me; neither has melatonin. It seems to be the mineral imbalances for me. I cannot believe the amount of zinc I seem to need though. I know you need more as you age and if you've been sick but my body seems to be like a sponge for the zinc. I'm taking more than they say to take but it just keeps helping and helping with my fibromyaglia and a knee injury that wasn't healing plus the sleeping. I have to be my own doctor because if I asked my dr he'd tell me to stop taking it. I've probably had this deficiency for decades!
Yes, a lot of our ailments can be caused by an imbalance in our chemistry. For example, many Americans lack adequate magnesium in their diets--leading to muscle cramps and insomnia.

But word of caution about the zinc...taking too much can result in some pretty dire effects (Google "zinc overdose" or toxicity to see some of them). I'd be cautious in taking more than recommended unless under the care of a doctor who specializes in nutrition or biochemistry--and I'd go for a blood panel that truly shows a sizable shortage of zinc in your body's makeup.

Supplementing with some things like Vitamin C is fine, but zinc can be problematic when taking mega-doses...

Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yes, a lot of our ailments can be caused by an imbalance in our chemistry. For example, many Americans lack adequate magnesium in their diets--leading to muscle cramps and insomnia.

But word of caution about the zinc...taking too much can result in some pretty dire effects (Google "zinc overdose" or toxicity to see some of them). I'd be cautious in taking more than recommended unless under the care of a doctor who specializes in nutrition or biochemistry--and I'd go for a blood panel that truly shows a sizable shortage of zinc in your body's makeup.

Supplementing with some things like Vitamin C is fine, but zinc can be problematic when taking mega-doses...
Thanks, but I read somewhere that there isn't a good test for zinc deficiency. When I think of my past history, illness, and all, it makes sense that I would be low in zinc. The final straw -- and the clue that I really needed -- was that I started using cosmetics that contained copper peptides. Avon Anew. After a while I could taste something metallic every time I used it. I did a google search to find out what their "secret" ingredient was and it was copper. Copper pushes out zinc from your body. It scared me and I also read that in severe cases of copper toxicity you can actually taste it. I'm using a Brita water pitcher now because we do have copper pipes. I don't know of any doctors who specialize in this sort of thing.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thanks, but I read somewhere that there isn't a good test for zinc deficiency. When I think of my past history, illness, and all, it makes sense that I would be low in zinc. The final straw -- and the clue that I really needed -- was that I started using cosmetics that contained copper peptides. Avon Anew. After a while I could taste something metallic every time I used it. I did a google search to find out what their "secret" ingredient was and it was copper. Copper pushes out zinc from your body. It scared me and I also read that in severe cases of copper toxicity you can actually taste it. I'm using a Brita water pitcher now because we do have copper pipes. I don't know of any doctors who specialize in this sort of thing.
I know..I found a book from the mid-80's written by a Harvard-educated doctor (Dr. Wrights' Book of Nutritional Therapy by Jonathan V. Wright, M.D.) who specialized in treating his patients based on bio-chemistry. He cured many of his patients by analyzing chemical/mineral shortages or an over-abundance of certain minerals/vitamins...he used blood analysis and hair strand analysis to determine what was needed to bring the body's chemistry back into balance...sure made me wish there were such doctors available where I live...or anywhere!

I guess a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine would be the closest approach to this today?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

low magnesium levels also contribute to migraines.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/unexp...-hypnosis.html

Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
"Inner Balance" found at health food stores.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:20 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
My (now deceased) mother suffered from insomnia in her later years. Rather than taking sleeping pills she would have an ounce of Blackberry Brandy right before bed. She said it put her to sleep in 10 to 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine