Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
My (now deceased) mother suffered from insomnia in her later years. Rather than taking sleeping pills she would have an ounce of Blackberry Brandy right before bed. She said it put her to sleep in 10 to 15 minutes.
This might explain why I don't remember much of 1977
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 06:35 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
This might explain why I don't remember much of 1977
If you remember the 70s you're weren't really there.

I start reading in bed and that knocks me out.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I've discovered a relaxation tea that seems to be doing the trick--Nighty Night by Traditional Medicinals. I found it at Food Lion but it's also for sale online. Whatever herbs/flowers are in there, for me, it's like taking a liquid sleeping pill...finally getting a nice night's sleep....

Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
A tsp of Bali kratom powder, mixed into pineapple juice, around 6 pm works like a charm for me. Try it...it might work for you too.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
A tsp of Bali kratom powder, mixed into pineapple juice, around 6 pm works like a charm for me. Try it...it might work for you too.
I've not heard of this before..and an internet search revealed little. Do you have any info on what it is and whether any studies have indicated it's safe for consumption--and it's effect on insomnia?

I love herbal and natural alternatives, but would be hesitant about ingesting any unknown things without careful study...herbs and natural medicines can have side effects just as pharmaceuticals can...

Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Little Dolphin wrote: I've not heard of this before..and an internet search revealed little. Do you have any info on what it is and whether any studies have indicated it's safe for consumption--and it's effect on insomnia?

I love herbal and natural alternatives, but would be hesitant about ingesting any unknown things without careful study...herbs and natural medicines can have side effects just as pharmaceuticals can...

There is quite honestly not alot of information about kratom and most of it on the internet is rather negative. It works so well for so many people that the pharmaceutical industry has taken notice. There is currently a move afoot in several states to demonize kratom and make it illegal, although it has been used safely for hundreds of years in other cultures. Here is one article from NaturalNews that paints kratom in a more positive light but it really doesn't give much information about it. If you require studies to put your mind at ease, you are likely to be disappointed in that regard. Here's another link to some testimonials of actual kratom users, posted on the webpage of the Kratom Association. As always, take any testimonial with a grain of salt!

I discovered kratom almost 4 years ago during a search for natural alternative to Ibuprophen, or something like that. After wading thru the first several pages of advertisements, I found an article mentioning kratom as being an effective natural pain reliever. It seemed like an answer to my prayer, so I ordered some right away and paid more for the shipping than the cost of the kratom. I wanted it right away because I was in alot of pain from an ill fitting temporary crown and my stomach felt horrible from 2 or 3 days of popping Ibuprophen every 8 hrs. My order arrived the next day, so I opened it and treated myself to a tsp of kratom. An hour later the pain was gone and felt so much better overall. A wonderful side effect was a pleasant mood enhancement as well. It wasn't until several months later that I became aware of it's efficacy at providing a better sleep. It came to mind one day that I had been sleeping alot better since I started using kratom. It can be quite subtle initially, but now when I forget to use a bit of kratom in the evening, I always notice that I didn't sleep as well that night.

There is an aspect of dependency associated with kratom use, but it is more benign than a dependence on coffee or cigarettes, and certainly alot more benign than being dependent on that a glass of wine every evening!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-19-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 09:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
I take an antidepressant pill daily and have for years and years ever since my kids were born. Prior to finding out that I needed more serotonin in my brain, I suffered horrible insomnia, with no relief from anything. I tried all the sleeping pills, the tea, melatonin, the wine, the massage, the other herbs and nothing helped. Sometimes I took a dangerous combination of several of the above, hoping it would help me. I spent night after night without sleep. It was an awful awful time, knowing everyone else in the house is snoring away, and there you are, wide awake, listening to your heart beat, knowing you will have to get up at daylight and start your day.

I saw a neuropsychiatrist who was able to accurately diagnose my brain chemical imbalance, and have slept like a baby every night, with my daily pill, except for the minor stresses of life which will occasionally keep me up. Hope you all can find relief. Not sleeping is the worst.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:04 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Kratom has seen therapeutic use in Thai ethnomedicine as an antidiarrhoeal, as a treatment for opioid dependence, and rarely to increase the duration of coitus.[8][9][10] It is also a substance of interest in the treatment of diabetes mellitus.[11] A general consensus exists in Thailand among leaders, public health officials, academics and policymakers that kratom use and dependence causes little, if any, health risks.[12] Many chronic pain patients report that kratom has greatly improved the quality of their lives.[13] With the current prescription abuse around the world and the scaling back of pain prescriptions from medical professionals, kratom, many times may be a viable alternative.

Mitragyna speciosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-20-2012, 01:40 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
As always, take any testimonial with a grain of salt!
Testimonials should never be taken seriously.

Quote:
There is an aspect of dependency associated with kratom use, but it is more benign than a dependence on coffee or cigarettes, and certainly alot more benign than being dependent on that a glass of wine every evening!

.....although it has been used safely for hundreds of years in other cultures.
With almost no research done on this natural 'drug"... how can you claim it's safer than a glass of natural wine? Also, where is the evidence it has been used safely for hundreds of years in other cultures? This seems to be the stock claim of those peddling these natural "drugs."

Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM

Appreciate the input, but I guess I'd be hesitant about taking something without more knowledge...could be the best thing since sliced bread, but not enough background and due diligence for me to make an informed decision to take myself.

My Nighty Night tea seems to be doing the trick of quieting my restless mind enough to give me restful sleep, so maybe my quest has ended...

From the research I've done, each of us has our own particular cause of our insomnia...and each of us has to find our own effective cure for it.

The posting above of an imbalance in serotonin is a case in point...we need to become our own health detectives, it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine