Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
You can say that because you go with the mainstream that thinks that "acid reflux" or hearburn is always caused by "excess" stomach acid when the TRUTH the majority of times is the exact opposite, and the "acid" that people taste is the UNDIGESTED food fermenting in their stomachs! A lot of people over 40 have low stomach acid and that's easily explained when one understands nutrition and then realizes that many of the nutrients necessary for the manufacture of hydrochloric acid are NOT abundant in most people's diets. And with poor absorption a cycle of less acid and more indigestion is created. One cannot expect doctors to know all that because it's NOT taught in medical schools, plain and simple. They hand out all those prescription drugs that actually do more HARM than good because they mostly know what the pharmaceutical reps tell them when they pitch their drugs (and offer them perks to prescribe them...), and make NO mistake, to them (the reps) it's a business, they're not "Mother Theresa", so even well-intentioned doctors can be misled.

Therefore, if you can grasp the concept that there "might" not be enough acid in a person's stomach then taking ACV will perhaps make sense to you, but if it still doesn't I cannot help you with that!
Low acid?? Food "fermenting" in the stomach? Not enough nutrients in the diet to produce hydrochloric acid?

You are correct doctors aren't taught any of this in medical school for the simple reason that not one thing you stated is true. Internet fantasies aren't taught in medical school, well understood and proven facts about human physiology and pathophysiology are taught in medical school....all of which contradicts the the fairy tales you have spun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 04:46 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Wouldn't you love it that I engaged in an argument with you? But this is NOT a debate forum, and I do NOT have to prove anything to you or any of the square-headed people who can't understand anything other than the dogma they've been brain-washed with.

So anyone who disagrees with you is a "square head?" That makes sense to you to call people names?

Quote:
If you're so convinced of what you're saying, if you think the truth is on your side, why get your shorts all in a wad because some of us disagree with you??? Are you so insecure that you come unhinged because of that?!
You're the one unhinged when challenged. Once someone starts name calling, everyone knows they lost the argument or debate.

Quote:
Don't tell me what I "need" to learn, I could tell you the same thing... It's ONLY your opinion, and YOU are nothing but a stranger here! I did not say that doctors hand out Tums, so perhaps you need to learn how to read.
I can only go by what you write. Tums are very effective for heartburn for most people. A change of diet also works.

Quote:
I may not have gone to medical school but a couple of good friends have and they have told me so so I believe them.
Believe them about what exactly? Dr's learn about digestion and the entire GI system. That's part of their education.

Quote:
I have news for you, it's not up to you to decide who I can help or not, it's up to every FREE individual to decide what they want to consider or not, I don't have anything to gain or lose either way. Now please go and calm yourself down before you give yourself a stroke!
LOL!!!! Unwad your panties.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:22 PM

482 posts, read 901,701 times
Quick relief from heartburn...CHEW BUBBLE GUM.

Works for me!

Old 12-28-2012, 03:09 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
So anyone who disagrees with you is a "square head?" That makes sense to you to call people names?
I'll admit that I got a little carried away there, it was very late and I was tired, so I apologize. However, it's not like worse hasn't been sent my way though so I wish some would think of that too when they post. I'm sure IRL none of us would treat each other with the disregard that we do online...

I do not have a problem with disagreement (if it's done in an uninsulting way), what really gets to me is people being unable to think "out of the box" and then thinking everyone else is wrong, but it's all in the brain and that's another subject entirely.

I've been too busy lately and have a ton of things to do today and possibly in the next few days (until the holidays are over) so I can't stay and comment on the rest now but I'll try to come back as soon as I can. And with that said, and setting our differences aside for now, I wish you all a very Happy and Healthy New Year.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Where is the research to back these claims? All antacids (Tums etc) are is calcium and a harmless binder. If you're talking about the priscription antacids, problems have been know for awhile and they're no secret. Lack of stomach acid doesn't cause heartburn and GERD or cancer of the esophagus. The damage and pain are caused by excess acid. The priscription antacids are not recommended for forever use. The OTC antacids like Tums cause no harm and the calcium may even be helpful to those on the average poor American diet.

Where is the independent research for this crazy claim below?

"Food that is not digested due to a lack of stomach acid does not pass easily into your small intestine. It sits in your stomach and ferments."
Well, I tell you what, google "apple cider vinegar for heart burn" and look for yourself, or I suppose you could just say that all 413,000 hits are just a bunch of quacks.

Whatever. You can always TRY IT and see if it works. Then you would know for certain if it does or not. Unless of course, you are too closed minded to even be willing to do that.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-28-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
And with that said, and setting our differences aside for now, I wish you all a very Happy and Healthy New Year.

Same to you! And may we all live to enjoy many many more.

We too are quite busy packing our RV. We'll be leaving Sunday for sunny warm Florida. But we'll have our mi-fi and laptop with us.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, I tell you what, google "apple cider vinegar for heart burn" and look for yourself, or I suppose you could just say that all 413,000 hits are just a bunch of quacks.

Whatever. You can always TRY IT and see if it works. Then you would know for certain if it does or not. Unless of course, you are too closed minded to even be willing to do that.

20yrsinBranson
First, I detest vinegar, even if double blind studies proved it worked. I find it disgusting both in smell and taste. And since I eat a better diet now, I seldom suffer from heart-burn. People with HB should look to their diet before trying to keep eating the same unhealthy foods and then taking something, be it Tums, a prescription drug or apple cider vinegar instead. Here is some information on ACV.

Apple Cider Vinegar Uses, Benefits, Claims

And here's an alt site more honest than most, complete with warnings.

History of Apple Cider Vinegar

Old 01-22-2013, 02:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
For those of you who don't understand how the stomach works, and why ACID is beneficial when you have GERD or heart burn, here is a very interesting and informative article. It is pretty complicated and a little dry to read, but it will give you a clear understanding. The author is a doctor (although not a medical doctor) but he is also a SCIENTIST with a PhD in Science.

Articles of Health: Understanding the pHysiology of the Stomach - An Alkalizing Organ

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-23-2013, 02:24 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
For those of you who don't understand how the stomach works, and why ACID is beneficial when you have GERD or heart burn, here is a very interesting and informative article. It is pretty complicated and a little dry to read, but it will give you a clear understanding. The author is a doctor (although not a medical doctor) but he is also a SCIENTIST with a PhD in Science.

Articles of Health: Understanding the pHysiology of the Stomach - An Alkalizing Organ

20yrsinBranson

You should be including yourself among those "who don't understand how the stomach works"

This "blog" you reference is absolute nonsense, the fraud who wrote it clearly has no concept on acid-base relationships and is so off base on the physiology of digestion it is comical...

Oh, and your "SCIENTIST with a PhD in Science(?) is an absolute FRAUD

A Critical Look at "Dr." Robert Young's Theories and Credentials

"The idea that dietary modification can change the acidity of the body is silly. Homeostatic mechanisms keep the acidity of the blood stream within a narrow range."

"In 2001, Young was again charged with a felony in Utah, after a cancer patient alleged that Young told her to stop chemotherapy and to substitute one of his products to treat her cancer. Subsequently, when an undercover agent visited Young, he allegedly analyzed her blood and prescribed a liquid diet. The case was taken to preliminary trial, but charges were dropped after the prosecutor stated that he could not find enough people who felt cheated by Young.[21] Young dismissed the arrests as "harassment" and stated that he moved to California because the legal climate there was more tolerant.[21]"
SignOnSanDiego > News > North County > Logan Jenkins -- Naturopathic technique stirring bad blood

Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
My oncologist and onco-nutritionist suggested apple cider vinegar to help with the horrific heartburn I experienced while going through chemo. The chemo stripped my stomach so even bland foods like chicken breast, bananas, rice, etc would have me reeling in pain. I also took Prilosec, but it was getting expensive OTC and I was taking 50 other pills a day, so my doctors were very encouraging with helping me find alternative, less expensive, and less "chemical" ways of managing the chemo side effects.

I ended up taking apple cider vinegar the second I felt a heartburn coming on. Results were mixed, but I was able to cut down my Prilosec intake by more than half. As my stomach as recovered over the past year or so, apple cider vinegar (or a swig of dill pickle juice!) normally does the job, though I do still keep a bottle of Prilosec on me just in case.

It's worth a shot. A bottle of apple cider vinegar is only a few bucks where Prilosec was costing me around $100 a month at the high point. If it doesn't work, you didn't hurt anything (except your taste buds). However, if the heartburn is bad, not triggered by a particular food you can cut out, and occurs more than twice a week - see a doctor. If you can't get it under control yourself - see a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine