U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2013, 01:33 AM

801 posts, read 895,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
All the wisdom and experience and education and training in the universe does not matter if people continue to die. Doctors do not know how to stop cancer. They try this, they try that, they add a little here a little there and do a lot of finger-crossing that it works. Sometimes it does but most of the time it doesn't.

If I were a doctor who cared about people I would PERSONALLY investigate every possible alternative out there and I would adopt the treatment that gets the most success. Even if it meant going against convention. Doctors will not even CONSIDER alternative treatments in most cases because it does not fit into that neat little box of a brain that they got from medical school.

Like you, 99 percent of conventional medical doctors will dismiss anything out of hand that does not go along with their tidy little script. That is where they fail themselves and their patients and they lose all credibility for having the patients best interest at heart.

20yrsinBranson
You said quite a mouthful! I couldn't have said it better! And it's not that I don't like doctors, quite to the contrary, since childhood I kind of idolized them, but then the doctors I was fortunate to get treated by back then were open to many "home remedies" and were very kind and not egotistic at all, unlike many are today...

One of my best friends over 30 years ago was an intern (doctor) at the time and she told me "X, we just don't get taught nutrition in medical school!" when I shared with her certain things that I'd learned that she knew made complete sense, so that right there was enormously revealing to me. Maybe they get taught more these days but that's still not what they go to medical school for.

Along the way I've been very blessed to have met a few good doctors who maybe out of frustration and because they had true vocation and REALLY wanted to help people (rather than feed their own egos like many others all over the world do who LOVE to hear themselves be called "Doctor") became curious about Alternative Medicine. Most were in another country though, but they always encouraged me to pursue a career in Nutrition which is what I wanted to do. To bad that just couldn't be, but I vowed to still try to use the knowledge I do have to help others if I could. I'm NOT saying that A.M. or Holistic Nutritions has ALL the answers either as there still so much more to study and discover, but at least it often goes to the root causes of illness, whereas I'm always appalled to read "the cause is unknown" for a lot of modern day diseases, and even some that date way back. It's as if a virus or bacteria or injury cannot be identified most other possible causes are discarded right away.

I want to repeat I'm not against all doctors, only those who are unable to think "outside the box", that's why I greatly admire those who practice Integrative Medicine, which IMO is the perfect "marriage" of both.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:17 PM

6,539 posts, read 4,822,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Like you, 99 percent of conventional medical doctors will dismiss anything out of hand that does not go along with their tidy little script. That is where they fail themselves and their patients and they lose all credibility for having the patients best interest at heart.

20yrsinBranson
Have you ever considered that maybe their patients don't want to take several coffee enemas a day or swill iodine or use Clark's magic cancer zapper or try the Broccoli-Diet or whatever the latest alt "cancer cure" is?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Have you ever considered that maybe their patients don't want to take several coffee enemas a day or swill iodine or use Clark's magic cancer zapper or try the Broccoli-Diet or whatever the latest alt "cancer cure" is?
Oh brother, if that's what you believe Integrative Doctors do, you need to start reading more and/or perhaps meet one or two yourself. What I find really appalling is that people who are the most critical are those that won't dream of devoting any time to take an impartial look at "the other side"; they seem satisfied with accepting and repeating hand-me-down views of terribly narrow-minded people who just can't think outside the box.

And btw, nobody just "swills" iodine, shows what you know about the subject. But, frankly, I cannot bother taking such comments too seriously after re-reading last night that "deficiency of iodine causes loss of intellectual faculties" (as per Dr. David Brownstein in his book "Iodine: Why You Need It And Why You Can't Live Without It", 2nd edition), so "reader beware"!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 PM

18,312 posts, read 13,835,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Because they don't reject the reality of science and attempt to substitute their own.

I am guessing they go to these doctors seeking relief, seeking healing, seeking a cure. A trained physician offers the best chance at all three. Better then those who cluelessly pontificate and attempt to ruminate without any sort of basis in reality.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM

11,218 posts, read 15,465,313 times
A severe deficiency in iodine can result in tumors and all kinds of problems. It is true that many people don't get enough iodine in their diets, but that doesn't mean that most people have a significant iodine deficiency. Also, taking iodine supplements cannot cure cancer. Using Dr. Brownstein's book to *imply* otherwise is ridiculous, and it also casts a negative light on the doctor. He has heard all kinds of stories about people using his name to push their nonsense, peddle their quackery, and twist the facts to support their anti-mainstream and anti-pharmaceutical conspiracies. He has spoken vehemently against this in the past and you do him a HUGE disservice by dropping his name in your post, in an attempt to imply that iodine can cure or even treat cancer. It cannot. It just plain flat out can't do that. What it CAN do, is treat an iodine deficiency, and if you have skin problems that are caused by a deficiency, the skin problems will clear up once your iodine levels are back to normal. It is also used to treat thyroid disorders, among other things. But it won't cure, or treat, thyroid *cancer*.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
A severe deficiency in iodine can result in tumors and all kinds of problems. It is true that many people don't get enough iodine in their diets, but that doesn't mean that most people have a significant iodine deficiency. Also, taking iodine supplements cannot cure cancer. Using Dr. Brownstein's book to *imply* otherwise is ridiculous, and it also casts a negative light on the doctor. He has heard all kinds of stories about people using his name to push their nonsense, peddle their quackery, and twist the facts to support their anti-mainstream and anti-pharmaceutical conspiracies. He has spoken vehemently against this in the past and you do him a HUGE disservice by dropping his name in your post, in an attempt to imply that iodine can cure or even treat cancer. It cannot. It just plain flat out can't do that. What it CAN do, is treat an iodine deficiency, and if you have skin problems that are caused by a deficiency, the skin problems will clear up once your iodine levels are back to normal. It is also used to treat thyroid disorders, among other things. But it won't cure, or treat, thyroid *cancer*.
Yeah right, you're going to come here and say you know about Dr. Brownstein! I'm re-reading the book an he may not outright say that iodine cures all cancers but he definitely says IT CAN CURE SOME CANCERS, the book contains stories of his own patients, like a woman who had refused conventional therapies and whose tumors began "disintegrating from the inside out". So yeah, you read the book... ha!

For several years I participated in a Yahoo group started by one of his first patients, a thyroid cancer survivor he treated who later went on to become a naturopathic doctor and, if I'm not mistaken, currently works with Dr. Brownstein himself. I found her blog probably through another forum or webpage and it had the whole story of how her previous doctors put her through so much suffering and finally gave up on her when no more RAI could be administered (but she still had cancer markers). It was Dr. Brownstein WHO SAVED HER LIFE, and also treated her husband and 2 kids who were also hypothyroid.

The site www.breastchancerchoices.org promotes the "iodine protocol" and has a sizeable list of doctors around the U.S., which I already listed, so DON'T WASTE your time trying to derail the thread to create an argument! This is about the Gerson Therapy and NOT iodine, OK?

Old 04-28-2013, 09:49 PM

14,716 posts, read 16,896,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Yeah right, you're going to come here and say you know about Dr. Brownstein! I'm re-reading the book an he may not outright say that iodine cures all cancers but he definitely says IT CAN CURE SOME CANCERS, the book contains stories of his own patients, like a woman who had refused conventional therapies and whose tumors began "disintegrating from the inside out". So yeah, you read the book... ha!

For several years I participated in a Yahoo group started by one of his first patients, a thyroid cancer survivor he treated who later went on to become a naturopathic doctor and, if I'm not mistaken, currently works with Dr. Brownstein himself. I found her blog probably through another forum or webpage and it had the whole story of how her previous doctors put her through so much suffering and finally gave up on her when no more RAI could be administered (but she still had cancer markers). It was Dr. Brownstein WHO SAVED HER LIFE, and also treated her husband and 2 kids who were also hypothyroid.

The site www.breastchancerchoices.org promotes the "iodine protocol" and has a sizeable list of doctors around the U.S., which I already listed, so DON'T WASTE your time trying to derail the thread to create an argument! This is about the Gerson Therapy and NOT iodine, OK?
I have no doubt that supplementing iodine would be beneficial to everyone. This generation is more deficient in all minerals and trace minerals than any other in history. The soil that is factory farmed is not supplemented sufficiently to ensure that we obtain the necessary levels of nutrients. I am convinced that there are compounds, yet undiscovered, that contribute to health and well-being that we are not getting from the food sources available to us. I have not read Dr. Brownstein's book, or reviewed his research, but I am certain it has merit, if for no other reason than the criticism foisted upon him by members of the medical profession. Usually when the medical community turns on someone it is because they do not want to admit that the someone is right.

THanks for the information. I'll check it out soon.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 PM

7,290 posts, read 4,794,217 times
I find it discouraging that this is a forum on Alternative Medicine, where you would think Alternative Medicine could be discussed, RESPECTFULLY, but instead, it's just one huge argument - like in the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Maybe someday people will be able to share non-traditional viewpoints without having to fend off naysayers in the process. How exhausting and unproductive. Isn't it enough that people with traditional opinions can endlessly opine everywhere else? I guess not.

On this subject . . .I know nothing about it but am of the opinion that, for me, anything would be better than "slice and dice" or "slash and burn" "medicine" for cancer.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I find it discouraging that this is a forum on Alternative Medicine, where you would think Alternative Medicine could be discussed, RESPECTFULLY, but instead, it's just one huge argument - like in the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Maybe someday people will be able to share non-traditional viewpoints without having to fend off naysayers in the process. How exhausting and unproductive. Isn't it enough that people with traditional opinions can endlessly opine everywhere else? I guess not.

On this subject . . .I know nothing about it but am of the opinion that, for me, anything would be better than "slice and dice" or "slash and burn" "medicine" for cancer.
I think the best thing to do from this point on would be just simply ignoring their obnoxious posts as one would ignore the chihuahua on the left:

Why waste our energy trying to explain anything when, for all we know, some of these people who so violently oppose AM might be paid shills from Big Pharma or whoever, who come here trying to start arguments so that the moderators will close the threads and thus, a lot of good info in them will (hopefully) fade away into oblivion. It took me a while to notice a pattern here, that there is a little clique that not only will try to chase you out of the Health & Wellness forum if you don't vow down to the "Licensed Drug Lords" but that have invaded the AM forum under the false pretense of trying to keep others from being "duped", as if 1) allopathic medicine didn't kill thousands of people every single year, and 2) as if grown adults needed some bonehead stranger to act as their nanny or health police! It's an insult to any intelligent person who have simply been let down by the traditional medical community and who is sincerely looking for answers! The great majority of those people, like me, devote hours doing searches, reading books, participating in discussions and other forums and groups, and talking to others in real life who have had similar experiences.

And when we all become convinced that something is TRUE, all the opposition in the world is not going to make us sway! Even Jesus said that if a man found "a pearl of great value" he would go and sell all his possessions to buy it! So when you find the TRUTH you also want to share it with the world!

Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM

7,290 posts, read 4,794,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
I think the best thing to do from this point on would be just simply ignoring their obnoxious posts as one would ignore the chihuahua on the left:

Why waste our energy trying to explain anything when, for all we know, some of these people who so violently oppose AM might be paid shills from Big Pharma or whoever, who come here trying to start arguments so that the moderators will close the threads and thus, a lot of good info in them will (hopefully) fade away into oblivion. It took me a while to notice a pattern here, that there is a little clique that not only will try to chase you out of the Health & Wellness forum if you don't vow down to the "Licensed Drug Lords" but that have invaded the AM forum under the false pretense of trying to keep others from being "duped", as if 1) allopathic medicine didn't kill thousands of people every single year, and 2) as if grown adults needed some bonehead stranger to act as their nanny or health police! It's an insult to any intelligent person who have simply been let down by the traditional medical community and who is sincerely looking for answers! The great majority of those people, like me, devote hours doing searches, reading books, participating in discussions and other forums and groups, and talking to others in real life who have had similar experiences.

And when we all become convinced that something is TRUE, all the opposition in the world is not going to make us sway! Even Jesus said that if a man found "a pearl of great value" he would go and sell all his possessions to buy it! So when you find the TRUTH you also want to share it with the world!
It's more than a little condescending to think that, in general, people would have to be protected . . . as if anyone who participated on this forum wouldn't have the intelligence and research tools to make up their own minds about things.

If people are pro allopathic medicine, that is their choice . . . just as others have choice to consider alternative methods of healing.

I had read a little bit about the Gerson method and was intrigued. I know if I was unfortunate enough to have a life challenging ailment, I would research everything under the sun - and I would not want to have to weed through pages and pages of arguments on a supposedly "alternative" forum to find little morsels of interest or assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.