Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times

Advertisements

A home remedy I've heard of all my life is putting bacon fat on the boil... tape it to hold it in place. I also looked it up and it is listed as one of the many remedies for large boils. A paste of baking soda is also mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I use the ground, powdered Turmeric. You have several choices. You can buy the capsules....they even have them in the herbal section at Walmart. You can purchase it in bulk at your local whole food/health food store, or you can purchase it at your local supermarket, in the spice section. I did forget to add that, after you make your poultice and add that Tsp/Tbsp of water to the poultice, microwave it for approximately 10-15 seconds. One way of keeping the poultice warm and working great, is to put some plastic wrap on it (I find Press and Seal to work fabulously)....then cover the area with a heating pad. If you don't have a heating pad, no problem, simply put a damp washcloth in a ziplock back and warm it up in the microwave, reheating as necessary. Do be careful with this method though. You want to heat that pack up at 15 sec increments, as you don't want to burn the skin.

You can buy the goldenseal in tincture form, or again...you can find it at Walmart, with the herbs, or pick it up in capsule or bulk form at any local store. These two plant medicines are FABULOUS stapels to have in your medicine chest. Turmeric is also an incredible spice/herb to use for stomach upsets and any inflammation with be soothed and "disinfected" by the use of this poultice. God bless and please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
thank you SOOO much!

Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
I'm glad you have an appointment Monday. A few years ago my teenage son got what we thought was a spider bite on his side. Within 2 days it was big and he couldn't even bend. He's an athlete and never complains, so the fact that he mentioned it was cause for concern. I took him to urgent care, they squeezed some pus out and sent us on our way. No antibiotics, no follow up instructions, acted like that was all we needed. After a couple more days it was bigger, redder and hurt more. We got him in to his doctor right away. It needed to be lanced and drained. There was LOT of pus, and several different pockets under the skin. After draining it, the doctor said it was a staph infection, packed it with antibiotic string and gave him oral antibiotics. He was also furious with urgent care and called and complained about the doctor who had basically brushed us off. The doctor removed the packing the next day and I had to flush out the wound with soapy water in a syringe every day for about a week. The wound was large enough that, if I had wanted to, I could probably have fit my thumb in it, up to the first knuckle. After it healed it looked like a gunshot scar. It's been 3 years and there is still a scar, but he hasn't had any others. It's scary to go through, but once it was treated there were no other complications.

Sorry to hear about your son; her hole was pretty deep as well, and it got wider the next day. glad we got there in time though

Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
A home remedy I've heard of all my life is putting bacon fat on the boil... tape it to hold it in place. I also looked it up and it is listed as one of the many remedies for large boils. A paste of baking soda is also mentioned.

Thank you, i found a remedy that called for corn meal, also found one mentioning bacon fat as well, and then something about an onion. i guess i'll keep this on hand, but i pray that i will not have to use the remedies, that she will not have another boil again.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 PM

35 posts, read 68,938 times
Default Boil

Hi
what you need to do, is see your doctor! Boils on the back, need a doctors care. This is something a professional needs to look at! Make an appointment as soon as you can, your doctor will know what needs to be done to stop further infections from occurring.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
thank you SOOO much!
You are so very welcome! Also, one of the things that I "trained" my children to do, is to let me know of ANYthing that was going on with them. Nothing was ever "no big deal", unless I was the one who said it was no big deal. All my children were in sports and were also involved in many outdoor activities. Hypervigilance is important, especially in today's world, with "superbugs". Due to the overuse of antibiotics in our food source and in the healthcare industry as well, these bacteria have become more virulent and increasingly resistant to most current antibiotics out there.

The possible side effects of many of these antibiotics can be horrendous! A healthy diet, as well as taking care to make sure that our immune systems are functioning at optimum levels, are two of the best ways of avoiding health issues. One more addition here.....Please, please, I beg of you, especially since your daughter is already fighting a bacterial infestation....avoid sugar. Hey, we love sweets around here, LOL....but just let any of us get carried away with the sugar consumption and BANG, we're coming down with whatever we happen to run in to. Sugar is your child's enemy. I know that sounds paranoid, but seriously, it tanks the immune system and feeds the bad stuff!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
You are so very welcome! Also, one of the things that I "trained" my children to do, is to let me know of ANYthing that was going on with them. Nothing was ever "no big deal", unless I was the one who said it was no big deal. All my children were in sports and were also involved in many outdoor activities. Hypervigilance is important, especially in today's world, with "superbugs". Due to the overuse of antibiotics in our food source and in the healthcare industry as well, these bacteria have become more virulent and increasingly resistant to most current antibiotics out there.

The possible side effects of many of these antibiotics can be horrendous! A healthy diet, as well as taking care to make sure that our immune systems are functioning at optimum levels, are two of the best ways of avoiding health issues. One more addition here.....Please, please, I beg of you, especially since your daughter is already fighting a bacterial infestation....avoid sugar. Hey, we love sweets around here, LOL....but just let any of us get carried away with the sugar consumption and BANG, we're coming down with whatever we happen to run in to. Sugar is your child's enemy. I know that sounds paranoid, but seriously, it tanks the immune system and feeds the bad stuff!

so true. every time she goes to her granddad's house she eats bad, when she's at home, she doesn't and of course she doesn't like it. she told me that a bump was bothering her, but it like changed overnight, from a small bump that i thought would go away to something huge causing more problems

Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecat View Post
Hi
what you need to do, is see your doctor! Boils on the back, need a doctors care. This is something a professional needs to look at! Make an appointment as soon as you can, your doctor will know what needs to be done to stop further infections from occurring.

as soon as i realized what it was, i went to the er with her in hopes they would drain it. and she is seeing her physician monday.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 PM

35 posts, read 68,938 times
Quote:
as soon as i realized what it was, i went to the er with her in hopes they would drain it. and she is seeing her physician monday.
That's great! Please let me know, what your physician says. I would like to have any information, your doctor would give you for future reference. If you don't mind! I hope all goes well, with your daughter appointment.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
so true. every time she goes to her granddad's house she eats bad, when she's at home, she doesn't and of course she doesn't like it. she told me that a bump was bothering her, but it like changed overnight, from a small bump that i thought would go away to something huge causing more problems
Hey, I hear you on the "out of sight" bad eating habits. LOL Hubby/grandpa is the WORST here, too. He thinks nothing about buying a small bag of candy and a sugary drink , without realizing that IT IS NOT GOOD for them! Of course, mom/grandma bakes cookies, cakes and pies....so that's not much better, is it.

As for finding a "harmless" bump on your child, if it's the least bit warm to the touch or the skin looks the least bit mottled, it's best to address it right away with a very warm, Epsom salt poultice. If it's simply a bruise, you can do hot/cold compresses to speed the dispersion of blood and fluids from the leaky vessels. If it's an underlying infection of some sort, you will likely start to see an elevation in the area, as the "fluids" start looking for an escape route through the skin. My family gets hot/warm compresses for just about anything.

This might make me sound like a worry wort, but it's so much better to be safe than sorry. Again, you really only need to apply the warm compress once, then cover the area with plastic wrap and keep a heating pad on it. That way, you don't have to keep removing the pad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine