Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

I've never had a flu shot, and had the flu this year, and it was profoundly mild compared to some of the horror stories I've heard.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:30 AM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Out of all the people I know personally, who are in my age group, who I grew up with, or the people in my parents' circle of friends, and my sister's circle of friends - which, combined, totals well over 1000 people -

Not a single one of them has ever been diagnosed with mercury toxicity, nor has any of them ever complained of symptoms leading any physician to suspect mercury toxicity. Any of us who have fillings from when we were younger, have mercury amalgam fillings, because we would've all gotten them between 1945 and 1975. Mercury, all by itself, can't be used for fillings. As part of a combination (amalgam) of metals used for fillings, it cannot leach into the body. It just can't. There exists no method for it to seperate from the amalgam, become just mercury again and not a combination (amalgam) of metals, and slip by osmosis through the fleshy tissue of your gum, and enter your blood vessels. It just does not have the ability to do that.

Mercury by itself, most certainly can do that. But your fillings aren't made out of mercury by itself. They're made out of a composite, a combination, a mix, a blend, a synergy, of mercury and other metals. When you get a filling on the side of your tooth, or at the base near the gumline, there's no friction. It doesn't wear off on anything. There's no grinding going on with the filling. Two of my molars have fillings, which are right in the middle between the peaks. The peaks have not worn down yet, and therefore the fillings are still perfectly intact, exactly as they were when my grandfather put them in 42 years ago. My dad did lose a filling once, but it hadn't worn down. He tried to crack a filbert with his teeth and chipped the tooth and the filling popped loose with it. Here's the fun part:

Even if he had mistakenly swallowed the filling - he would have not encountered mercury toxicity as a result. It would've passed throug his digestive system, as all 60-year-old amalgam metalic composit blend mixes do when swallowed, and passed out of his body into the toilet in his stool.

The use of mercury in fillings was banned overseas because of the scare tactics used at the time to create a panic among the people, who were obviously ripe for a protest, rallied together and demanded that the evil they had heard about (but never actually experienced) be banished forever. Sort of like the Emporer's new clothes. They chose to ignore fact, and preferred fear the fiction.

It's the same reason some dentists don't use it, and some do. Not because one is uninformed and the other is - but because they are catering to their target audience. Dentists who don't use it, are catering to the audience of people who are suckered into thinking the more expensive composites are safer. Dentists who do use it, are catering to the audience of people who would rather take a cheaper route to dental health, and haven't been suckered into believing that expensive = superior.
It's actually very funny to me to see that a person who cries "bloody murder" whenever anyone else uses anecdotes to illustrate a point, has done nothing but relate anecdotal stuff of dubious veracity.

For starters, an amalgam is an alloy, not a "composite", etc., etc. And because ALL metals react to acids or alkalis, and get worn through friction your points are not valid. Unlike other "heavy metals", mercury gives off vapors too, so when just put in they're probably at their worst.

And sure, advanced countries in Europe succumbed to scare tactics - whose, I ask - hahahaha! Wow, I see... the BIG Alternative Health Conspiracy "machinery", with its "dark and sinister" purpose of advocating for better health (but in some twisted minds to deprive people of "perfectly safe" (NOT!) practices such as 'more affordable dental fillings in order to promote expensive composites' (which are not all necessarily that safe either...) rallied all those poor gullible Europeans into a panic... If only you could see the absurdity of this ridiculous theory you wouldn't have written this, Lord have mercy! Moderator cut: rude and off topic.

In closing, and only for those whose brains have not yet been damaged by mercury, here's a good page from the Standford University which explains it like it is (and I believe covers all that I was trying to say):
Dental Amalgam and Mercury

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-10-2013 at 04:30 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 PM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
In closing, and only for those whose brains have not yet been damaged by mercury, here's a good page from the Standford University which explains it like it is (and I believe covers all that I was trying to say): Dental Amalgam and Mercury
Where is Standford University?

The author of the piece in your link is a law school librarian at Stanford University. Everything she wrote is opinion. She obviously is very good at finding sources. After all, she is a librarian!

Are you aware of any scientific credentials she might have?

Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Where is Standford University?

The author of the piece in your link is a law school librarian at Stanford University. Everything she wrote is opinion. She obviously is very good at finding sources. After all, she is a librarian!

Are you aware of any scientific credentials she might have?
Say WHAT?! WHO hasn't heard of Stanford University??? Well, this certainly shows HOW MUCH you don't know. Why didn't you do a search before embarrassing yourself like this? Stanford University, which conducts a lot of research, is located in CA, and it ranks at #6 among the top 10 U.S. universities, according to U.S. News, and shares that position with MIT, probably because they offer different courses. Worldwide it ranks at #15.

Asking for Ms. Calhoun's credentials IMO is only a desperate attempt to try to descredit the sizeable amount of information presented on that page. The fact that this well-reputed University approved of it and decided to carry it on their website is more than good enough for me because I'm sure they actually chose this for a good reason given that they are into RESEARCH.

I'm not surprised one iota, and I'm sure many others reading this are not either, to see this ridiculous nit-picking effort. Frankly, if I were you I'd just make a gracious retreat and find another thread to really contribute to. Shall I remind you that this thread is NOT a debate thread about amalgams/mercury? So please stop hijacking the OP's thread, she's the only one who has a right to decide if she accepts the suggestion made or not.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Re-read your post. You typed "Standford" so no wonder it's confusing.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 PM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Say WHAT?! WHO hasn't heard of Stanford University??? Well, this certainly shows HOW MUCH you don't know. Why didn't you do a search before embarrassing yourself like this? Stanford University, which conducts a lot of research, is located in CA, and it ranks at #6 among the top 10 U.S. universities, according to U.S. News, and shares that position with MIT, probably because they offer different courses. Worldwide it ranks at #15.

Asking for Ms. Calhoun's credentials IMO is only a desperate attempt to try to descredit the sizeable amount of information presented on that page. The fact that this well-reputed University approved of it and decided to carry it on their website is more than good enough for me because I'm sure they actually chose this for a good reason given that they are into RESEARCH.

I'm not surprised one iota, and I'm sure many others reading this are not either, to see this ridiculous nit-picking effort. Frankly, if I were you I'd just make a gracious retreat and find another thread to really contribute to. Shall I remind you that this thread is NOT a debate thread about amalgams/mercury? So please stop hijacking the OP's thread, she's the only one who has a right to decide if she accepts the suggestion made or not.
Where is there anything on the page that indicates that Stanford University has "approved" anything on that page? The fact that the person who posted it is a librarian working at Stanford does not mean the University supports her position.

YOU were the one who injected a discussion of mercury into the thread, not I.

Because of continual rudeness and off topic discussions this thread is closed.

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-11-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine