Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 04:36 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times

Advertisements

Oh yes and meant to include this from one of the links:

Quote:
Dramatic results have been reported in patients suffering from a variety of chronic pain conditions, such as:
Chronic pain
Rheumatoid arthritis
Osteoarthritis
Joint pains
Whiplash
Lower back pain
Premenstrual cramps
Migraine headaches
Post-operative pain
Neuralgia
Addictive withdrawal states (alcohol/drugs)
Shingles & herpes pain
Depression
Some more caveats: If you are phenylketonuric, leave it alone! Don't take when pregnant and be careful with it if you have high blood pressure or heart problems. Stay away if you have malignant melanoma and should not be taken by those on antidepressants--even herbal ones. One more: it can raise your ahem, libido apparently, though I don't remember that effect.

Last edited by stepka; 04-11-2013 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 04:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Thank you Stepka! It is absolutely worth a try, and it's relatively inexpensive.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Thank you Stepka! It is absolutely worth a try, and it's relatively inexpensive.
You're welcome, and I hope this helps all of you.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Much appreciated! I think I have that on one of my lists of things that I have researched in the past and never tried. I'll definitely look into that one.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
The lyrica and cymbalta are for pain. It's used for all types (diabetic nueropathy, FM, other injuries).

I could hardly walk too - the lyrica stopped the pain from FM.

Weird he suggested fish oil for osteoarthritis... fish oil is good for rheumatoid arthritis, which auto immune and fish oil is an anti inflammatory. I think there have been a few studies on osteo arthritis... but that's not auto immune related. Fish oil does nothing for FM.

Honestly, if he were my doctor, I would get a new one.
I have been taking Omega 3 - in the form of fish oil, and B vitamins as well as Glucosomine Chomdroiton. I have felt a small amount of relief.

RA and FM are not related, as one person wrote, but they are both autoimune disorders and, at least I think, they are related to inflammation.

My knees and joints still painful but I think these suppliments have helped a little bit.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 PM

I'm not sure if they have determined that FM is auto immune yet, I take immune suppressors and it doesn't help the FM in the least.

I have a bunch of supplements, and I thought they were working because I felt great, no pain.... then wham, it all came back.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if they have determined that FM is auto immune yet, I take immune suppressors and it doesn't help the FM in the least.

I have a bunch of supplements, and I thought they were working because I felt great, no pain.... then wham, it all came back.
I know. I first got fibro about 13 yrs ago when moving and lifting stuff that was way to heavy for me. I had to do it all summer long and by the end of the summer I was a mess--black and blue and my muscles ached from overdoing it. But it was over. Then I got a virus and right after that I REALLY ached all over and was dizzy and the doctor didn't know what was wrong with me.

Finally I diagnosed myself (as most of us have to) and got to an excellent fibro dr who recommended PT in a heated pool. It worked completely.

So for 13 years I have been pain free. Until two winters ago, I got a virus. Virus lasted for months and it left me with this horrible pain and stiffness again. Now I will be starting PT in a heated pool. History repeats itself and I can only hope that it works again this time. (I do take a lot of supplements.)

Old 04-19-2013, 01:37 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,059 times
I also have Fibro and take a whole host of supplements, most supplements I'm taking were mainly for my Glaucoma but also benefits Fibro. I take 1000mg Fish Oil, 1500mg of Vitamin C, 525mg Dandelion Root, 500mg Magnesium, 400iu Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3, 2000mcg B-12, 100mg CoQ10, Metagenics Hemagenics, Metagenics Thyrosol and 150mg Grape Seed Extract.

I will be adding other supplements as money will allow since I'll have to go through a liver cleansing for my Glaucoma.

I've read various places that sugar is something a Fibro person should not use. I noticed whenever I eat sugar my Fibro symptoms are worse. I'm really addicted to sugar and even though I'm a diabetic sneak it sometimes and thoroughly regret it soon afterwards. I've had Fibro for almost 20 years and it has gotten better than when I was first diagnosed. The Magnesium really helps with relieving the muscle cramps and spasm I would get just from moving around whereas now I only get them when I exert myself a little more than usual but still not to the degree prior to taking Magnesium. When I lifted my arm it used to feel mechanical when bringing back down stopping at various points instead of one smooth motion but with the supplements my joints feel like they're "well oiled". I also noticed my recovery time after doing grocery shopping because of all the walking is shorter now. I sometimes spend 1-2 days in bed thereafter sleeping and aching all over. Now I might just sleep very hard and late in the morning.

Marijuana is the best out of anything for Fibro, nothing beats it. I'm hoping NY passes the medical marijuana bill.

Oftentimes, Fibro sufferers also are afflicted with Thyroid disease. For myself it was something the regular blood test didn't detect but I just knew and felt it had to be a problem. Another doctor was able to diagnose it using a different test and the thyroid pills help to a certain degree but I also began taking the Megagenics Thyrosol (I am not connected to this company) and all I can say is this stuff is a life saver. It gives me so much more energy. So if you suffer from Hypothyroidism ask your doctor if he recommends taking this supplement. It really does help. You can buy it at most health care sites but Amazon I think is the cheapest place to buy.

Oh and I take 50mg Tramadol which doesn't do much for me. I don't want to take pills all day and I've switched from Vicotin to Acemenophin to Tramadol since I and my doctor was concerned about the affects these medicines would have on my stomach.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 PM

Well heck,if they legalize marijuana I either don't get anything done because I'm in pain, or don't get anything done because I'm stoned.

Not true. Mine is worse when I start moving after being still or sitting...... If I keep moving there is much less pain.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 AM

Ok, I tried the DLPA, and I'm not sure....

Was very sore and stiff, so took 1500 mg. for two days and on the 2nd day I felt a LOT better, third day I was good in the morning, and started getting sore again in the evening. It's so hard to figure out if it was the DLPA or I would have had a good day anyway.

I'll try for one more week, see how I feel, and then stop and see if I'm worse.

DH has twisted nerves in his leg that he is in PT for, and it did nothing for him, unfortunately.

Everything worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine