U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2009, 06:49 PM

466 posts, read 126,518 times
I've gotten to a point that I don't really care if there are people out there that think nutritional supplements and herbal treatments don't work. What really bothers me is when I go out and 95% of the people I see on the street are grossly obese and look twice thier age. These are obviously people who are depending on modern medicine to keep them "healthy".

On the other hand I have NEVER ! ! met a person who depended on herbs and nutritional supplements that was out of shape, had "thyroid issues" or complained about thier insurance not covering thier collection of meds.

Every single person in my extended family has fun with me because I take supplements every day. Every single one of them has either diabetes, heart disease, crohn's disease, shingles, fibromiagia, and EVERY ONE OF THEM IS OBESE. I know that my good health is not genetic.

I am in perfect health and have been for 48 years. Every single blood test I ever had was right down the center of the parameters.

Supplements do work if you get proper advise and know what not to experiment with.

But like I said I am tired of convincing people that they work.

My biggest concern is that they will be made unavailable if the AMA has it's way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:23 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,726,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
I've gotten to a point that I don't really care if there are people out there that think nutritional supplements and herbal treatments don't work. What really bothers me is when I go out and 95% of the people I see on the street are grossly obese and look twice thier age. These are obviously people who are depending on modern medicine to keep them "healthy".

On the other hand I have NEVER ! ! met a person who depended on herbs and nutritional supplements that was out of shape, had "thyroid issues" or complained about thier insurance not covering thier collection of meds..
I think that's really more than the people who would gravitate toward alternative medicine tend to be the type who actually are interested in preventative care, rather than the "fix it when it breaks" mentality of most americans. I definitely see correlation, but I have yet to see causation.

I just know that I live a healthy lifestyle, and as such the only problem I really have is fibromyalgia...even that, 90% of the time, I can control with my diet. I think a lot of the ailments that are being treated now by allopathic medicine are completely avoidable with proper exercise and nutrition. I just feel that the herbal supplement route really has nothing more to add to a wholesome diet and sufficient exercise.

That said, when I really have serious menstrual cramping or muscle pain flare ups, none of the supposedly life-changing herbal supplements has ever helped me as much as a half a tab of vicodin. (which I would argue is derived from a natural source, as are most medicines on the market now..making them simply a purer form of the herbal tonics NP prescribe)

Old 06-17-2009, 12:48 AM

8,560 posts, read 8,118,575 times
To each his own. In a free country we should have a choice. If some want to search out the experts in natural medicine to rid themselves of a disease that conventional doctors don't know how to cure, they should be able to have that option available to them --especially since some of the treatments there are today in western medicine are so invasive and dangerous that it has been said that in the future it will be thought of the way we think of doctors who used to use leeches to supposedly suck out infections. They were/are treatments that certainly made/make no sense and aren't of any benefit to the patient.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:13 PM

7,396 posts, read 7,817,847 times
I don't go to an ND and never have tried it, but I was in poor health as a child and have had many minor ailments b/c of that in my adulthood, and I have had much success alleviating them with herbs that I have researched on my own. Some examples:

--when I was 30, for some reason my hair started falling out in bunches and I was getting bald spots. I went to the doc and she was unconcerned and didn't even try to help. I researched a lot and discovered homeopathic silica, which I started taking. Within one week the hair stopped falling and I haven't had a problem since. It had been going on for months before. That one set me back $5 + whatever I paid to the doc. The cure cost $5 that is; the doc who didn't help was surely over $100. Now I'm 50 and have a head full of hair.

--I'm highly allergic to tick bites and if I get one and leave it untreated it will probably get infected, and the itching will go on for months. Once I got in a nest of seed ticks and after months of itching I finally went to the doc. They gave me some $200 skin cream and told me to paint it carefully on each bite so as not to get it on any of the rest of my skin, b/c it was harmful to healthy skin. The bites did go away, but then a woman from the Ozarks showed me how to make a homemade salve with garden plantain and comfrey, which is much more effective than the $200 stuff and I don't have to worry about getting it on the rest of my skin. There are claims that it can heal brown recluse spider bites, but I have no experience w/ that. I make my own for very little money.

--Last year my heart started beating all off kilter--over 2000 skipped beats in 24 hours on the holter monitor. Doc said it isn't dangerous, but I didn't like the feeling of laying there at night w/ my heart going bumpity-bump, so again I started researching. Hawthorne helped a lot, but olive leaf extract made it go away completely. It also regulated my blood pressure, which was starting to climb. It costs about $15 at Whole Foods, and I no longer have to take it--it cured the problem. The doc said it was incurable.

--I've decided it's time to get serious about healing my uterine fibroids and am investigating the use of vitex--it looks promising--it actually regulates the hormone balance in your body. The doc wants to do surgery, but I'm going to try this first, b/c once again, a month supply will be less than $20. The doc says these are incurable.

--I never have had any luck finding a natural cure for allergies, but for some reason I haven't had any this year, though those around me are suffering. The only difference is that I've gotten serious about exercising this year. (and gotten rid of a husband--was I allergic to him?) Maybe that helped--who knows? But I can't remember a year when I haven't had allergies. Maybe the olive leaf extract helped that too? who knows.

Is it a placebo effect? I really don't care, but I didn't expect the silica to work--it seemed like such a long shot. The olive leaf extract was something I was taking for another condition, but it cleared up the irregular heartbeats as well, so I looked it up, and sure enough, it is an excellent remedy for that. Those people further up in this post that have a chicken farm? How do you get a placebo effect w/ chickens? And who really cares as long as it works?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:46 AM

481 posts, read 84,601 times
Glaxo chief: Our drugs do not work on most patients - Science, News - The Independent

Allen Roses, worldwide vice-president of genetics at GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), said fewer than half of the patients prescribed some of the most expensive drugs actually derived any benefit from them.

It is an open secret within the drugs industry that most of its products are ineffective in most patients but this is the first time that such a senior drugs boss has gone public.

Drugs for Alzheimer's disease work in fewer than one in three patients, whereas those for cancer are only effective in a quarter of patients.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 PM

481 posts, read 84,601 times
"I never have had any luck finding a natural cure for allergies, . . ."

Look into Red Reishi. It is the best antihistimine I have ever tried. For asthma, dermatitis, etc. It stops asthma attacks almost instantaneously. It must be RED reishi.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:03 AM

7,702 posts, read 2,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard
I strongly prefer alternative health care to allopathic medicine and traditional modalities.
Anything is better than BIG PHARMA crap that IS NOT MEANT TO CURE YOU.. Its meant to keep you spending $$$$ to feel better 90% of the time!

Ever wonder why medicine has SO MANY SIDE AFFECTS NOW????? -- They want you to end up having to give them MORE $$$$$ to get over the crap they caused!! (Keeps the funding going)

Old 06-09-2012, 12:38 PM

2,504 posts, read 5,852,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Anything is better than BIG PHARMA crap that IS NOT MEANT TO CURE YOU.. Its meant to keep you spending $$$$ to feel better 90% of the time!

Ever wonder why medicine has SO MANY SIDE AFFECTS NOW????? -- They want you to end up having to give them MORE $$$$$ to get over the crap they caused!! (Keeps the funding going)
Yep, you are dead on.

Fortunately for all of us, the "alternative medicine manufacturers, supplement manufacturers, herbalists, naturopaths, witch doctors and snake oil salesmen" of all types GIVE AWAY THEIR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES!!!!!

NONE OF THEM ARE LOOKING TO MAKE A DIME off their 'clients" ( er...suckers)

Old 06-09-2012, 06:26 PM

11,166 posts, read 14,345,939 times
Bluedevilz, c'mon give Big Suppla a break. Afterall, the reason Big Suppla is so cheap, is because they aren't required by the FDA to do years of research and then apply for approval as a registered drug. They can put any old thing in a gelatin capsule and call it Magic Missile, and claim that if you take it, you'll be able to fart at the darkness.

Oh yeah they also get to warn you that farting at the darkness is a necessary nutritional need, and if you haven't noticed any particular ability to do this in the past 5 years, then you are in desperate need of Magic Missile and you should order a box RIGHT NOW before you die of terminal dark-fart deprivation.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM

467 posts, read 258,272 times
It hasn't progressed since the 90s. People still think fish oil is healthy (it's not) and are mixing and mathching info based on things they learned along the way from Oprah like juicing, veganism, blood type/metabolic diets and lately paleo etc. I never found anything of worth in herbs but am more in to things like flower essences which the public still knows zilch about. Colostrum should have become a household word, never did because the alternative medicine crowd brainwashed the public against dairy. I've observed the AM movement for 20 years and honestly believe it is hopeless thanks to the Baby Boomers mostly who are arguably the dumbest people who've ever lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine