Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 PM

299 posts, read 542,191 times

Advertisements

I am almost 70 years old, developed an illness called multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), daily cleaners, fragrance, laminate, vinyl, etc make me very ill. Several years ago, being very weak and ill, I tried an experiment. For 4 days straight I used my juicer in the AM, put in an apple, a little cranberry concentrate, and 1/2 an orange or 1/3rd grapefruit. That was breakfast. For lunch and dinner I made a pint of juice with a little spinach, celery, cucumber. At lunch I added a little protein by eating a few raw nuts or a hard boiled egg. When the 4 days were up I was amazed-- felt rejuvinated, felt like my blood stream had been cleaned out.

3 yrs ago I did the juicing, eating mostly veggies and some fruit, nuts, and occasionally fish or chicken. I had energy, lost 20 lbs during the year and a half-- until I relocated, moved into an independent living faciility, with meals included. I gained back the 20 lbs plus another 15-- their food is not very good, laden with salt, sugar, fat, starches. I can't afford to pay this high rent plus buy my own groceries too. No, they won't deduct $$ from my rent so I can do my own meals.

I have been trying to find a place to move to, need no smoking, no pesticides, no chemicals, no steps, etc. - almost non-existant. Once moved, I plan to go back to juicing and mostly vegetarian eating. For several years, on an empty stomach, I also make a cup of organic dandelion tea (root or leaves) - regenerates the liver. I get a kick out of saying between losing weight and Tai Chi Chih, in 10 years I am going to have buns of steel and chase young guys.... tell they not to run too fast......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 05:48 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,906,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
From what I've always read and heard (as old timey remedies) and from a doctor, a fast is beneficial in the spring time to give your body a rest after all the heavy fatty foods most of us in the north have to eat during the winter. In these cold climates a lot of us would get weak and sick if we didn't eat some stick to your ribs type of food.

People used to eat dandelion greens in the spring as a tonic and cleanser, it's a bitter green supposed to be good for the liver and the liver is involved in cleansing and detoxifying.
Good for the liver in what way? Tonic and cleanser? Of what? The liver will function normally as long as the person is reasonably healthy.

Quote:
So a juicing fast would be another method of giving your body a chance to cleanse.
But cleanse of WHAT exactly? Any heavy foods people ate over the winter or holidays are handled by the liver at that time.

Quote:
Animals, when they are sick stop eating and people need to take a break too. Some people can do it for a few days but my doctor told me to only do it for one day. If you did it for more than a few days I would think you would become very weak and you wouldn't be getting your proper nutrition. With all the junk food that people eat these days and living in air that's not always too clean, I think a short fast would be a good idea but it's up to the individual.
I can't see where a one day fast would hurt, but I can't see how it would "cleanse" anything, especially if you don't even know what it's suppose to remove.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity1944 View Post
I am almost 70 years old, developed an illness called multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), daily cleaners, fragrance, laminate, vinyl, etc make me very ill. Several years ago, being very weak and ill, I tried an experiment. For 4 days straight I used my juicer in the AM, put in an apple, a little cranberry concentrate, and 1/2 an orange or 1/3rd grapefruit. That was breakfast. For lunch and dinner I made a pint of juice with a little spinach, celery, cucumber. At lunch I added a little protein by eating a few raw nuts or a hard boiled egg. When the 4 days were up I was amazed-- felt rejuvinated, felt like my blood stream had been cleaned out.
What is your normal diet like? Lots of junk foods? Moderator cut: Insulting and rude to the OP who has come to discuss an illness. I'm sure we all know what the placebo effect is and it appears that the person has tried to get them to change the food--that's why they are trying to find another place to live. They describe the poor diet so they are not ignorant. The topic is juicing and detox.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-09-2013 at 08:36 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,813,209 times
I have both a juicer and a Ninja Pulse (very similar to the Bullet). There are some things that simply don't grind down enough so that's when a juicer is nice - unless you don't mind an occasional chewy veg/fruit smoothie.

From what I have read, if you juice, yes you do lose key nutrients, and you also have to drink what you juice right away or else the nutrients present will be lost. If you blend (Bullet, Ninja, Vitamix, etc.), you can store excess as long as it's sealed properly.

This, IMO, is one of the healthier ways to detox because you are in fact getting much of what your body still needs. You can add natural peanut or almond butter, ground flax seed, coconut water, honey, etc. It has become much more popular now so there are endless recipe books and on-line. I've found that when combining fruits and veggies, the recipes are better than if you were to make it up yourself as they are tested for taste - as well as the combination of what your body will benefit the most in one mix.

Also, as far as detoxing, years ago a nutritionist gave me a safe way to detox for 3 days. As long as you didn't cheat, by the morning of the 4th day, if you do a pH test, the strip should show that your body is free of any sugars (which, at least for me, is what creates the cravings).

This is the 3-day 'diet':

lean protein
green vegetables only

you are allowed coffee, tea, water
sugar free jello, sugar free cool whip, olive oil, salt & pepper

NO other vegetables and NO fruit, no sauces, no bread, etc. etc.

the protein and green vegetables has little to no glycemic effect and it helps to flush out your body. It has worked so well for me that I do it every 6 months or so.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post

Also, as far as detoxing, years ago a nutritionist gave me a safe way to detox for 3 days. As long as you didn't cheat, by the morning of the 4th day, if you do a pH test, the strip should show that your body is free of any sugars (which, at least for me, is what creates the cravings).
PH has nothing to do with "sugars." And if you're juicing, you are consuming some sugars aka carbohydrates aka starches. Your body maintains it's PH closely or you would quickly die. Your body can't be free of sugars as the human body can make them from protein. It can make all it needs from either the protein you consume, or using your muscle tissue to convert to glucose. Your blood sugar is maintained within a certain range or you would die. With NO glucose in your body you would quickly die. You would become hypoglycemic.

Quote:
the protein and green vegetables has little to no glycemic effect and it helps to flush out your body. It has worked so well for me that I do it every 6 months or so.
Flush out WHAT exactly? Your liver and kidneys flush, cleanse themselves to keep you healthy.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,653,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
This, IMO, is one of the healthier ways to detox because you are in fact getting much of what your body still needs. (snip)

(snip)

Detox from what? What is poisoning your blood? Have you been tested for blood poisoning? If you haven't, then why are you trying to detoxify it? If you're trying to detoxify your liver and kidney, what are you detoxing it of? Sugar is a necessary carbohydrate in human physiology. Your body requires it to function. So you wouldn't want to get rid of it. An acid/alkalyne pH result doesn't mean your body is free of sugar.

If you require a juicing diet to flush out your body, then you probably should go to the doctor and find out why. Your body should be flushing itself, every day, in the form of sweat, bowel movements, and urination. If your body is not doing this, then there is something wrong that juicing won't fix.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 AM

26,639 posts, read 28,474,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Detox from what? What is poisoning your blood? Have you been tested for blood poisoning? If you haven't, then why are you trying to detoxify it? If you're trying to detoxify your liver and kidney, what are you detoxing it of? Sugar is a necessary carbohydrate in human physiology. Your body requires it to function. So you wouldn't want to get rid of it. An acid/alkalyne pH result doesn't mean your body is free of sugar.

If you require a juicing diet to flush out your body, then you probably should go to the doctor and find out why. Your body should be flushing itself, every day, in the form of sweat, bowel movements, and urination. If your body is not doing this, then there is something wrong that juicing won't fix.
I think it's pretty obvious the person is not talking about blood poisoning.

Yes, there are many ways in which the body works to detox and ideally, that would be enough.

Some people, especially those who have been exposed to something like toxic oil fumes, or pesticides, or any number of things that are hazardous to the body, end up sick. The body gets overloaded and the usual detoxification channels can't handle it. That is how it was explained to me by my own doctor.

When the body can't handle the toxins, it's usual practice to drink a lot of water to flush them out. This is pretty much it. Some doctors recommend drinking juices, either fruit or vegetable so that the body can get some nutrients at the same time.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,190,880 times
I just use my plain old blender each morning, and drink it throughout the day at work.

Water and organic greens mostly, additionally a banana, some turmeric, cinnamon, some whole foods protein powder, lemon juice, avacado...whatever is in the fridge that morning.

I would never use a juicer because the thought of throwing away all of the pulp, skin and fiber seems crazy to me. Aren't you left with mostly sugar water? I think people consume way too many fruits and sugars with juicing.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,653,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think it's pretty obvious the person is not talking about blood poisoning.

Yes, there are many ways in which the body works to detox and ideally, that would be enough.

Some people, especially those who have been exposed to something like toxic oil fumes, or pesticides, or any number of things that are hazardous to the body, end up sick. The body gets overloaded and the usual detoxification channels can't handle it. That is how it was explained to me by my own doctor.

When the body can't handle the toxins, it's usual practice to drink a lot of water to flush them out. This is pretty much it. Some doctors recommend drinking juices, either fruit or vegetable so that the body can get some nutrients at the same time.
Drinking a lot of water can flush out toxin from a poisoned body. If you aren't *poisoned* then there's nothing you need to flush. If you're sick - then you need a doctor, not a glass of water. If you need a lot of water, then you also need potassium and sodium, or you can become poisoned by water. Water toxicity is no joke, and people who drink copious amounts of water without also consuming an appropriate amount of potassium and sodium to balance it, get very sick, and can even die.

But that has nothing to with "getting rid of toxins" by "eliminating sugar" by juicing. As I said - the body REQUIRES sugar, first of all. And second of all, if you're juicing, you're not eliminating sugar and are actually getting -more- sugar by consuming quantities of juice made with fruits, than if you simply ate an orange, or a handful of grapes.

If your body is poisoned by toxic oil fumes, pesticides, or any number of things that are hazardous to the body, then your body DOES have blood poisoning, and you DO need emergency treatment. If you think that it's something that juicing will cure, then it's not toxicity from toxic oil fumes, pesticides, or any number of things that are hazardous to the body. That is just scare tactics created by fear-mongering anti-pharmaceutical supplement marketing teams to sell more supplements, and by juicer companies to sell juicers. Which - they do.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 28,474,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Drinking a lot of water can flush out toxin from a poisoned body. If you aren't *poisoned* then there's nothing you need to flush. If you're sick - then you need a doctor, not a glass of water. If you need a lot of water, then you also need potassium and sodium, or you can become poisoned by water. Water toxicity is no joke, and people who drink copious amounts of water without also consuming an appropriate amount of potassium and sodium to balance it, get very sick, and can even die.

But that has nothing to with "getting rid of toxins" by "eliminating sugar" by juicing. As I said - the body REQUIRES sugar, first of all. And second of all, if you're juicing, you're not eliminating sugar and are actually getting -more- sugar by consuming quantities of juice made with fruits, than if you simply ate an orange, or a handful of grapes.

If your body is poisoned by toxic oil fumes, pesticides, or any number of things that are hazardous to the body, then your body DOES have blood poisoning, and you DO need emergency treatment. If you think that it's something that juicing will cure, then it's not toxicity from toxic oil fumes, pesticides, or any number of things that are hazardous to the body. That is just scare tactics created by fear-mongering anti-pharmaceutical supplement marketing teams to sell more supplements, and by juicer companies to sell juicers. Which - they do.
I take issue with the last paragraph. I was injured by toxic oil fumes from a faulty furnace--which was supposed to have been fixed but was not--and I became very sick. There was no emergency treatment. It was an ongoing, chronic problem that built up over time with the oil company saying they had fixed it. Another (honest) oil company came and told me not to even use the heating system anymore and they installed a new boiler. It was the kind of heat that came out through blowers and it even made sooty marks on the walls, that's how bad it was. I moved out but it was too late, I was already sick from it.

It wasn't like a blast of oil fumes, it was gradual and most people who came to the house barely noticed it. I was there a lot more than they were so I became sick. Probably I already had a build up of toxins because when I was a kid my town used to spray something for mosquitoes. They just had everyone close their windows for the night. In the morning that air would smell horrible and there would be a greasy film over everything. Kids used to write their names in it! We found out years later that it was DDT they were spraying--and it went all over our huge vegetable garden too--our food source all summer and in the canned and frozen versions, all winter.

Things like that accumulate and your body can get to the point where it is overloaded-- and I am not making this up and no juicing company ever told me to drink juices.

In my case, my doctor said that I should try to detoxify. That my liver and kidneys were probably overloaded. I was not specifically told to drink juices but I was told to eat green leafy vegetables because they are good for the liver--which does much of the detoxifying. I was told to not eat foods that would be hard on the liver: anything greasy or heavy. I was also given a list of supplements--like vitamin C and told to steer clear of toxic chemicals like a lot of the household cleaning products and even common things that I was using like hair sprays. It was a lifestyle change and a diet change. I was told by the doctor that I could do a fast if I wanted to---carrot juice diluted with water so that it wouldn't be so high in sugar.

I would trust my own doctors and the other doctors who helped me. They have the education and experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine