Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 02:19 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,018,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not drug companies. The idea that they wield direct power over docs is made up b.s.

Press Ganey is who we all have to bow down to if we work in a hospital environment.

I will never give up. I just want you to understand the pressure people are under.

I cannot speak for your personal experiences, but less than two weeks ago I was talking to a health practitioner who had been a registered nurse for more than 20 years and we were discussing the topic of how drug companies influence the medical profession.

She told me that one of the main reasons that she gave up conventional medicine is because she saw the abuses that were happening. She told me that drug companies actually PAID doctors for them to write prescriptions. Not "bought them dinner" or "paid for junkets" but actually PAID THEM IN CASH MONEY on A "PER PRESCRIPTION" BASIS. She experienced it with her own eyes and when this continued to happen she decided that she, in good conscience, could not part of it any longer.

I worked with a Osteopathic Doctor once for a brief period of time and I remember the drug representative coming in and how he bribed the doctor with "perks" for writing prescriptions. He gave us samples like candy and encouraged the doc to pass them out the same way.

I understand that not all doctors fall into this pit of deception, but many, dare I say MOST, do. Student loans for medical school are not cheap, and neither is the technology that medical practitioners use. Yes, people DEMAND drugs/quick fix but it is only because they are taught this by television and popular culture and they are not TAUGHT how to do things naturally. In order to find that out you must seek it out yourself and most people are too stupid or not motivated enough to do that, unfortunately.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,897,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I don't think you're really open to being educated and I am not going to attempt to do the job.

Why is it none of you answer these questions? I've already looked and found nothing useful in the alt offerings. Telling people the body can heal itself of all disease and disorders is not an answer.

Quote:
If you are truly interested, there is a ton of information out there - there are natural remedies for every malady. Diet is crucial - living a clean, healthy lifestyle is crucial.
I have always lived a clean lifestyle with plenty of exercise and a good diet and I still developed hypothyroidism, endometriosis and a few other conditions over my lifetime. The alt info is not out there. Living a clean healthy lifestyle doesn't prevent the above mentioned conditions - and a heck of a lot more.

Quote:
To get back to the original OP: Your body does all of the healing, if any healing is to be had.
The human body cannot heal many things, that's why the death rate was so high before modern medicine. A walk through any old cemetery will prove that! A clean lifestyle can prevent many of our ailments, but not all of them.

Last edited by =^..^=; 08-18-2013 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 02:32 PM

48,311 posts, read 34,442,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
As to the claim that you "have to do it" because of Press Ganey, you are basically saying that you have sold out.

If you know the patient is wrong, then stick up for what you know is right or get another job where people won't be hurt by your collusion with drug companies (and if the patient is demanding drugs and you are giving in against your better judgment you are colluding and not practicing good medicine and I trust you know this but are doing it anyway - unacceptable!)
I would imagine depriving a patient of diabetic insulin or blood pressure medicine because they won't lose weight and change their lifestyle would result in a rather successful lawsuit for wrongful death.

I have to wonder at people who project what they think onto others without full knowledge of the industry.

If you don't want to take western medicine....... don't. Your bad experience with doctors is YOUR experience, not everyone else's.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-18-2013, 02:34 PM

454 posts, read 790,234 times
I rarely go to my doctor; there has to be REALLY something wrong. Like the time i woke up so dizzy/unbalanced i could not get out of the bed, had to phone family member to take me to Urgent Care. Doctor found it was labyrinthitis and the meds took care of it within hours. Without medicine i doubt it would have gone away.

But i do have a physician i can work with most of the time, and can tell him if i choose to follow his treatment i.e., I have osteo-arthritis and he prescribed Boniva. Told him i needed to do online research for this drug first and glad i did! One of the ingredients is something similar to the chemical found in those lime-scale-rust remover products! Plus Boniva has been confirmed to cause spontaneous fractures. Ergo, i declined the meds; he was not happy and said "stay off the internet and listen to your doctor". But he eventually was ok with me declining the med.

so yes, i sometimes follow what i feel is best for my body to some degree. if an herb or alternative treatment will help alleviate the pain of arthritis/migrane/sinus problems, i go for it. however, that same herb or alternative medicine will not cure a bursting appendix or detached retina

Old 08-18-2013, 02:39 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,897,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
She told me that one of the main reasons that she gave up conventional medicine is because she saw the abuses that were happening. She told me that drug companies actually PAID doctors for them to write prescriptions. Not "bought them dinner" or "paid for junkets" but actually PAID THEM IN CASH MONEY on A "PER PRESCRIPTION" BASIS. She experienced it with her own eyes and when this continued to happen she decided that she, in good conscience, could not part of it any longer.
When happened when she went before the Medical Board and reported this? She did call the local newspapers etc didn't she?

Quote:
I worked with a Osteopathic Doctor once for a brief period of time and I remember the drug representative coming in and how he bribed the doctor with "perks" for writing prescriptions. He gave us samples like candy and encouraged the doc to pass them out the same way.
What happened when you reported him for bribing the Dr? What newspaper carried the story? I would sure like to read more about this.

Quote:
I understand that not all doctors fall into this pit of deception, but many, dare I say MOST, do.

This is quite an assumption and is insulting to those dedicated people in the medical fields. I would like to know more about what happened when you and your nurse friend turned these people in.

Quote:
Student loans for medical school are not cheap, and neither is the technology that medical practitioners use. Yes, people DEMAND drugs/quick fix but it is only because they are taught this by television and popular culture and they are not TAUGHT how to do things naturally.
Anyone in the USA with a TV has a good idea how important diet and exercise is. They ignore what they hear or read. A Dr wasting 30 minutes trying to convince a patient why they should change their lifestyle would be a waste of time. I too worked in both the human and animal medical fields. Pet owners wont always listen either. That seems to be human nature.

Quote:
In order to find that out you must seek it out yourself and most people are too stupid or not motivated enough to do that, unfortunately.

20yrsinBranson
Most people already know. Health issues are discussed all over the TV spectrum.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,181,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I cannot speak for your personal experiences, but less than two weeks ago I was talking to a health practitioner who had been a registered nurse for more than 20 years and we were discussing the topic of how drug companies influence the medical profession.

I understand that not all doctors fall into this pit of deception, but many, dare I say MOST, do. Student loans for medical school are not cheap, and neither is the technology that medical practitioners use. Yes, people DEMAND drugs/quick fix but it is only because they are taught this by television and popular culture and they are not TAUGHT how to do things naturally. In order to find that out you must seek it out yourself and most people are too stupid or not motivated enough to do that, unfortunately.

20yrsinBranson

This fictional "she" was full of crap....

Physicians don't get "paid" for writing prescriptions end of story

Old 08-18-2013, 03:59 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,181,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Who is Press Ganey? According to their web site, they're a consulting firm to health care organizations. Their stated goal is: "Press Ganey provides both ongoing advisory services and consulting in all phases of performance improvement."

This fits in with Dr. Stan's comment in a previous post, "And my whole job and being allowed to exist and work is directly tied to customer service numbers."

It seems it's all about improving performance (seeing more patients) and increasing profitability for health care providers...very little about patient satisfaction or healthy outcomes...corporate healthcare is the new norm for the healing profession.

The only out for a doctor is a private practice where a healer can practice their own kind of medicine not tied to Press Ganey performance numbers. And, of course, that's very pricey for a doctor to do--especially if just out of med school with huge educational debt to re-pay.

Pharmaceutical companies start influencing doctors in med school..and it accelerates after graduation with ample wining/dining/gifting budgets to woo doctors to write scripts for their brand. A broccoli or kale grower has no chance to compete!
As Stan has already pointed out, this doesn't happen and isn't ALLOWED to happen....

Old 08-18-2013, 05:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,881,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would imagine depriving a patient of diabetic insulin or blood pressure medicine because they won't lose weight and change their lifestyle would result in a rather successful lawsuit for wrongful death.

I have to wonder at people who project what they think onto others without full knowledge of the industry.

If you don't want to take western medicine....... don't. Your bad experience with doctors is YOUR experience, not everyone else's.
I guess you are not following along. Stan said that he/she feels pressured to give in to patient demands against his/her better judgment. Obviously, that would not be the case if the patient needed insulin.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,881,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
This fictional "she" was full of crap....

Physicians don't get "paid" for writing prescriptions end of story
Does Your Doctor Cash in on Drug Company Money? | NBC4 Washington

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/13/140438...drug-companies

Old 08-18-2013, 06:24 PM

7,068 posts, read 12,577,177 times
Does anyone else find it passing strange that there are posters chiming in who seem very against natural/alternative medicine (and indeed, practice Western medicine) posting here?

It smacks of hijacking the thread as it does not answer the question raised in my original posting. Please review that question before posting your anti-alternative medicine point of view...it's not moving the discussion forward but is merely argumentative and counter-productive...but then, maybe that's the purpose of posting such arguments--to distract?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine