Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 PM

25 posts, read 127,369 times

Advertisements

I've decided to experiment with magnesium to help with my anxiety. I have taken two consecutive Epsom salt baths so far. After the first one, I felt a little nauseous, but nothing much, and felt really good the next day. After the second, I felt perfectly fine and felt really good the next day too.

Of course, being an excessively worrying type of person, I am still concerned with the potential side effects. I worry that if I take them every day or even every other day, that I could lower my blood pressure too much or other things like that. Probably illogical? When can I stop worrying about side effects? If I was able to take two baths without experiencing a negative reaction, can I take that as confirmation that I don't have any reason to worry about these baths?

Also, since baths are not the most practical thing to commit to every day or every other day, has anyone had any experience with magnesium lotion?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 02:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
I did try some magnesium OIL, and as much as I would do it if I had a significant health concern that I thought it would or may help, I found it to irritate my skin. I assume because it's a mineral (ie, salt) so maybe that's what made it drying or itch.

But I've heard over and over that magnesium is very helpful to the body and health in many ways, so I think it's worth trying to get sufficient amounts in some way. I don't think you can 'OD' -- well, one initial side-effect is loose stools, etc.
My husband is eating 3 sticks of CELERY daily and seeing marked BP reduction. (The celery is NOT for the magnesium content - apparently there's something else in it that helps BP. Heard it from a pharmacist initially.)

Old 08-21-2013, 06:22 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I seriously doubt you absorb much, if any, magnesium through your skin (either bath or lotion)

Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 PM

25 posts, read 127,369 times
^What makes you say that? Everything I have read so far says that magnesium sulfate can be effectively absorbed through the skin.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
From what I've been reading about magnesium, the only harm from too much magnesium would be loose stools. The baths sound helpful -- do they dry out your skin very much?

Me, I take 3 capsules of magnesium per day -- in three doses. Each capsule is 250 mg. This has greatly reduced my insomnia caused by a magnesium shortage from the diuretic in my BP medication. I was kept from sleeping by a racing heart and anxiety. Now I'm sleeping normally again and it's quite a relief.

Maybe internal magnesium combined with the epsom salt baths might prove effective?

Magnesium can help with many maladies...and the book, The Magnesium Miracle, makes for interesting reading.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I just read something about this on the internet yesterday and decided to try it as I'm not much for taking baths. You can mix up a recipe of magnesium "oil" which is not oil at all but just water and epsom salts.

You boil a half cup of distilled water (needs to be distilled so the stuff won't go bad) and then pour it over 1/2 cup of either epsom salts or magnesium chloride. They were saying the chloride is better but epsom salts are good too. You stir it to dissolve and let it cool then put in a spray bottle and keep it in your bathroom for after you shower. Oh, the reason they call it oil is b/c it sort of has the texture of a very light oil. I used some yesterday and it was quite nice but you may not want to get it in your hair--my hair is weird today. After I dried it off I rubbed on coconut oil and I slept really well last night. I also take oral Mg but heard you don't absorb that as well as mg thru your skin.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:15 AM

813 posts, read 1,272,063 times
All 3 of us (myself, husband, and son) take Epsom salt baths every day, because we have Lyme Disease, and it is an excellent way to detox the body. My husband has had a couple times where his skin feels dry, so he does an Epson salt foot bath instead.

Our doctor recommends it for all Lyme patients.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:30 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I just read something about this on the internet yesterday and decided to try it as I'm not much for taking baths. You can mix up a recipe of magnesium "oil" which is not oil at all but just water and epsom salts.

You boil a half cup of distilled water (needs to be distilled so the stuff won't go bad) and then pour it over 1/2 cup of either epsom salts or magnesium chloride. They were saying the chloride is better but epsom salts are good too. You stir it to dissolve and let it cool then put in a spray bottle and keep it in your bathroom for after you shower. Oh, the reason they call it oil is b/c it sort of has the texture of a very light oil. I used some yesterday and it was quite nice but you may not want to get it in your hair--my hair is weird today. After I dried it off I rubbed on coconut oil and I slept really well last night. I also take oral Mg but heard you don't absorb that as well as mg thru your skin.
This sounds like a really good idea. I wonder if it HAS to be distilled water though. If you just made a little bit and used it all at once it wouldn't go bad. (distilled water--one more thing to look for and buy).

Epsom salt baths never did anything for me but then I read that you needed a whole lot of epsom salts, not just a few cups.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:26 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
From what I've been reading about magnesium, the only harm from too much magnesium would be loose stools. The baths sound helpful -- do they dry out your skin very much?

Me, I take 3 capsules of magnesium per day -- in three doses. Each capsule is 250 mg. This has greatly reduced my insomnia caused by a magnesium shortage from the diuretic in my BP medication. I was kept from sleeping by a racing heart and anxiety. Now I'm sleeping normally again and it's quite a relief.

Maybe internal magnesium combined with the epsom salt baths might prove effective?

Magnesium can help with many maladies...and the book, The Magnesium Miracle, makes for interesting reading.
I take one twice a day
I practically preach about magnesium - helps with my back /leg cramping and I am sleeping a lot better.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:54 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Actually, Mag Oil is great for stress and muscle aches. It's just not easy to find in the local stores and must be purchased online and it's not cheap. I use about 3 to 4 tablespoons mixed with a couple tablespoons of water (to dilute it) and let the soles of my feet soak for 20 minutes or so. I have gotten involved with what is on TV and actually gone an hour........and the next morning I had a hard time waking up - deep sleep, I learned I am super-sensitive to the stuff. It helps with restless leg syndrome and those with Charlie horse cramps.

Edited to add: the most optimal method to get Magnesium is trans-dermal, or through the skin. Just as B12 is by injection and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine