U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 08:26 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,933,357 times

Advertisements

13 Tax Breaks You

Please look at number 4. Where do I get a Navajo medicine man?
Really, my husband went to an acupuncturist and I consulted with an Indian doctor who practiced Ayurveda medicine. My husband and I are taking some preparations that were recommended by her. They've been a great help with no side effects.

It's nice to know that these things are tax deductible if recommended by a 'medical practitioner'.

I've also posted this elsewhere - look at number 3, which could be very helpful for a person who loves animals but thinks they are too great an expense.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 04:39 PM

29,719 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Please look at number 4. Where do I get a Navajo medicine man?
Really, my husband went to an acupuncturist and I consulted with an Indian doctor who practiced Ayurveda medicine.
Navajo and Ayurveda medicine are from different continents.

Quote:
... My husband and I are taking some preparations that were recommended by her. They've been a great help with no side effects.
Great

Quote:
... It's nice to know that these things are tax deductible if recommended by a 'medical practitioner'.

I've also posted this elsewhere - look at number 3, which could be very helpful for a person who loves animals but thinks they are too great an expense.
All medical treatments are write-offs.

We write-off our dog. Well I should say that we used to. I have not itemized for a few years, but when we did itemize we used that.

I do not pay income taxes.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Navajo and Ayurveda medicine are from different continents.
Great
All medical treatments are write-offs.
We write-off our dog. Well I should say that we used to. I have not itemized for a few years, but when we did itemize we used that.
I do not pay income taxes.
Wow. My CPA told me you could not deduct household pets, so I wonder how you did that. Could you please share?

About medical treatments - they were not write offs unless you had a prescription from your doctor, not just a recommendation from a medical practitioner. I remember when I had a doctor's prescription for a vitamin and how much more expensive it was.

I am aware that Navajo and Ayrveda are from different cultures, so is acupuncture. They are all available in the US. I can easily find Chinese acupuncturists and herbalists. I can easily find an Indian doctor who does Ayurvedic medicine, but I cannot easily find Navajo singers.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Wow. My CPA told me you could not deduct household pets, so I wonder how you did that. Could you please share?
I am on a farm.

That was a lesson I learned in highschool [in the 70's]. One of the required classes to graduate was half a year of book-keeping and half a year of tax-filing. It was in a farming community, so assumed that most of us would be self-employed. Dogs are a home security measure.

As for the medical. Get a note from your PCP. Then buy what you need from whoever you want to buy it from.

If your doc says you need vitamins, there is no requirement to buy them from him.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I am on a farm.

That was a lesson I learned in highschool [in the 70's]. One of the required classes to graduate was half a year of book-keeping and half a year of tax-filing. It was in a farming community, so assumed that most of us would be self-employed. Dogs are a home security measure.

As for the medical. Get a note from your PCP. Then buy what you need from whoever you want to buy it from.

If your doc says you need vitamins, there is no requirement to buy them from him.
Thank you.

There was a requirement, years back, that you needed an actual prescription from your doctor. You would then go to the pharmacist to have it filled. He would fill it with the items he stocked from a drug company, so you were stuck buying one of those overpriced items.

My husband's doctor, however, did acupuncture right in the office. An Indian doctor informed me where I could get her recommendations on a website.

No prescriptions. That's the difference.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you.

There was a requirement, years back, that you needed an actual prescription from your doctor. You would then go to the pharmacist to have it filled. He would fill it with the items he stocked from a drug company, so you were stuck buying one of those overpriced items.

My husband's doctor, however, did acupuncture right in the office. An Indian doctor informed me where I could get her recommendations on a website.

No prescriptions. That's the difference.
There may have been, it is possible that I am just not old enough to remember that far back.

Once in 93 I asked my PCP [A Navy HM] if a jacuzzi would be good for my aches and pains. He said that it would be good for most any ache or pain. I asked him to annotate that recommendation in my medical record just in case I ever needed it for documentation. He did. I got a jacuzzi the next time I was in port, and later I wrote-off the expense of the jacuzzi on my taxes.

There was no prescription, and he was not a M.D. Just a normal Hospital Corpsmen with a few weeks of training, like the Federal government provides to all US servicemembers.

At a different home, in '01 we got another jacuzzi and we wrote it off on our taxes.

In '04 another one. [The '01 jacuzzi did not live very long].

None of those tax filings got audited.

In full disclosure, I have been audited by the IRS three times; 97,98, and 99. In all three instances they found nothing wrong.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
There may have been, it is possible that I am just not old enough to remember that far back.

Once in 93 I asked my PCP [A Navy HM] if a jacuzzi would be good for my aches and pains. He said that it would be good for most any ache or pain. I asked him to annotate that recommendation in my medical record just in case I ever needed it for documentation. He did. I got a jacuzzi the next time I was in port, and later I wrote-off the expense of the jacuzzi on my taxes.

There was no prescription, and he was not a M.D. Just a normal Hospital Corpsmen with a few weeks of training, like the Federal government provides to all US servicemembers.

At a different home, in '01 we got another jacuzzi and we wrote it off on our taxes.

In '04 another one. [The '01 jacuzzi did not live very long].

None of those tax filings got audited.

In full disclosure, I have been audited by the IRS three times; 97,98, and 99. In all three instances they found nothing wrong.
Ok. Thanks for the information. It may come in handy some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine