U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 PM

49 posts, read 232,659 times

Advertisements

I tend to give a lot of massages, mostly to my fiance. When he as a new knot that just started, I can work it out within a day or two but what do I do about ones that he's had for a long time?
What are the best ways to work on them?
He has 2 that I'm assuming he's had for years. I've known him for almost 2 years now and he's had them for as long as I've known them and they are fairly large. I had to move to CA for a while and while gone, he had a third one form on his back. This one is still new enough that if I keep up with massaging it every day, it's gone down but I'd still like to know any tips people have.
Would applying heat help? are there certain strokes that would help? Should I massage directly on the knot itself, or in another area?
If you know of any good websites that address this issue, that would be great! I'm doing some research but so far I haven't come up with very helpful sites.
I'm not expecting to get his 2 large knots out within days, or even weeks. But is it possible to get knots out that have been there for years? I know it'll take a lot of work and time, but any tips you have would be great!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,086,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuss View Post
I tend to give a lot of massages, mostly to my fiance. When he as a new knot that just started, I can work it out within a day or two but what do I do about ones that he's had for a long time?
He has 2 that I'm assuming he's had for years. I've known him for almost 2 years now and he's had them for as long as I've known them and they are fairly large. I had to move to CA for a while and while gone, he had a third one form on his back. This one is still new enough that if I keep up with massaging it every day, it's gone down but I'd still like to know any tips people have.
Would applying heat help? are there certain strokes that would help? Should I massage directly on the knot itself, or in another area?
If you know of any good websites that address this issue, that would be great! I'm doing some research but so far I haven't come up with very helpful sites.
I'm not expecting to get his 2 large knots out within days, or even weeks. But is it possible to get knots out that have been there for years? I know it'll take a lot of work and time, but any tips you have would be great!

Try some of the Physical Therapy sites; they may offer some pretty accurate advice;
I've heard that moist heat alternating with cold compresses are supposedly effective (not 100% sure though) , you have to be experienced in how the muscles work or you might even add some injury, esp to a ropy knotted one that's been there this long, you may want to encourage him to go see a Neurologist, and get some PT since they have many different methods that are not available to the "lay person". like Ultrasonic equipment.etc,
But i hope he starts to feel better soon; It's always a rule of thumb" to treat the root of any problem then the rest should be much easier.
Take Care of your man girl" LOL

Old 11-29-2007, 10:18 PM

12,604 posts, read 16,805,621 times
I would learn which way the muscle goes and rub with the grain so to speak. Elongated like with the muscle I would not go against the grain of the muscle you could make it worse. My hubby gets the same thing and I do this also will ice it before hand if it is painful the cold helps.
Maybe he should see a Dr. and get some mild muscle relaxers to help release the knots.
Also there are reflexology spots on the feet that correspond with areas and organs of the body maybe give that a try as well. You can get reflexology books from Barnes n Noble and Borders. Or even online but get one that has good illustrations.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:27 AM
tao

720 posts, read 2,830,324 times
When I can't get a massage I use Bengay - it works wonders. Even when the pain is so bad that I think nothing will work, Bengay always seems to do the trick.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:50 AM

4,795 posts, read 12,941,003 times
In place of Bengay I used a product that I obtain from a feed and grain store. It is stronger. It is what the farmer's use on themselves and horses. One is called something like Big-oil, which I like best, the other is Trainer's Choice.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:10 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,086,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
In place of Bengay I used a product that I obtain from a feed and grain store. It is stronger. It is what the farmer's use on themselves and horses. One is called something like Big-oil, which I like best, the other is Trainer's Choice.
Wow Jessaka;
Who would have ever thought of this;
Thanks for the tip
God Bless

Old 11-30-2007, 09:18 AM

7,735 posts, read 15,715,862 times
Back in my days as a practitioner of polarity therapy, I would spend alot of time working various reflex points to the area of tension. Then I would connect the reflex point directly to the tense area by holding the reflex point with one hand and the tense area with the other hand. By working in this manner, it's a way to allow the body's energy to do most of the work in realeasing the tension by re-establishing a normal energy flow. Only AFTER re-establishing the energy flow would I spend any time working directly on the tight muscle. At that point, the tension would just melt away...no matter how long it's been there.

He may also want to visit a Rolfer. Rolfing is another great way to work out tension in the body and get the body re-aligned. I had my first 10 sessions of rolfing in the late 70's then again about 3 years ago. It's a great experience, which I highly recommend.

blessings...Franco

Old 11-30-2007, 11:48 AM

1,451 posts, read 3,020,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuss View Post
Erdnuss,
It sounds like your husband has a series of trigger points causing his pain and discomfort. The trigger point is sometimes directly at the point of referred pain and sometimes not far away. I suggest you find a massage therapist or physical therapist trained in trigger point therapy. Otherwise, find a copy of The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies and look try to work it yourself - the book is designed for therpists and laymen alike.

Good luck!

Old 12-01-2007, 01:08 AM

49 posts, read 232,659 times
Thanks for all of your tips you guys! I will look into all of them! It's neat what a person can learn! In doing research for how to help him, I found out more about my own pain then his, lol! I have had lower back pain in the same spot for a little over a year now and always thought it was from one problem, but after doing research, I found out where the pains been coming from!
But I've also found some info on how I might be able to help my love out and all of your advice will be a huge help too!
Thanks again!
Oh, and if anyone else has new tips to share, please continue to share!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:32 AM

4,795 posts, read 12,941,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Wow Jessaka;
Who would have ever thought of this;
Thanks for the tip
God Bless
When buying products from farm supply you must remember that they are made for horses, not humans, and so they may say that they are not up to FDA standards for humans, but you must also know that they are used on thoroughbred horses and are not really harmful. I know because I have been using them for 20 years. I even use DMSO from a farm supply. Of course, DMSO for pain and injuries should be read up on on the Internet because you have to put it on clean, dry skin and not allow anything to touch it until it dries, not even clothing. And then it will also turn red and burn for 20 minutes, but that is only a discomfort problem. I have used it for over 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine