Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:57 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,456,309 times

Advertisements

This is something I would like to try but I am having a mental issue getting past the texture of coconut oil in my mouth. I was wondering if anyone had the same issue and how you got past it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,233,046 times
From what I've seen, it isn't for dental health.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,211,093 times
Hi talloolla, You don have to use coconut oil.
See if you are ok with safflower or light olive oil.
You can also see impurities a bit better in the "yellow" oils, I think.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:37 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,722,629 times
I've been doing it and it's interesting. My doc told me to use any kind of seed oil so I've been using grapeseed oil. It's only unpleasant for a few seconds and then it's ok, even interesting. The main difference I've had is that a tooth that was drifting too far from the others to the point was food was getting caught in it, closed back in. Also, when I floss now my gums don't bleed anymore. I feel fabuloso these days but hard to say whether it's that or the supervitamins or the chelation therapy, or just what it is, but I'm riding it.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,211,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've been doing it and it's interesting. My doc told me to use any kind of seed oil so I've been using grapeseed oil. It's only unpleasant for a few seconds and then it's ok, even interesting. The main difference I've had is that a tooth that was drifting too far from the others to the point was food was getting caught in it, closed back in. Also, when I floss now my gums don't bleed anymore. I feel fabuloso these days but hard to say whether it's that or the supervitamins or the chelation therapy, or just what it is, but I'm riding it.
Love your positive actions...I have read so many many positive things about oil pulling,
I just have to remember to do it! I set out oil tonight, at least. Ha!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,640,746 times
According to wikipedia (and its notated resources), the primary use, in modern times, of oil-pulling is for oral health. As such, there's no reason why you should feel the need to use coconut oil. It's only one of several you can try, including olive oil, sesame (which is much lighter) and sunflower (which is also light). If all else fails, you can always just go back to using regular mouthwash, or making your own with or without alcohol.

I personally suggest that if you're going to use oil instead of mouthwash, that you add essential oils such as peppermint and thyme. They will provide the natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties. But don't use it too vigorously or too often, because your mouth needs its own natural bacteria. Once a day for up to 2 minutes is sufficient.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 PM

Thanks Stepka and Miss Hepburn for the other oil suggestions. I read about sesame and coconut oils being the most recommended. I bought some light olive oil to try tonight. Both olive and coconut have their own antiseptic qualities - not sure adding anything is necessary. I am not trying this for oral health. I will keep you posted!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:30 AM

Oh yeah and my doc said for 20 minutes.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:04 PM

talloolla, do you mind telling us what you are using it for? If it's private I understand.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
talloolla, do you mind telling us what you are using it for? If it's private I understand.
No I don't mind. I have read that oil pulling may help with sinus inflammation - something that plagues me all year - and one of my medications causes my mouth to be drier than normal. I know it may sound primitive but...from what I have read it has a lot of benefits without any downside. The theory is that it pulls toxins from your system. I am not sure it can really do this but it is well known that oral bacteria that finds it's way into the blood can cause heart damage and possibly other organ damage. It is not a stretch for me to believe that decreasing the amount of oral bacteria would help overall health. I know there are mouthwashes, etc but I am trying to get away from the chemical solution. Using strong mouthwashes containing alcohol can lead to dry mouth and that leads to all kinds of problems. Oil pulling is also said to increase saliva production and saliva contains calcium which can help protect the enamel in your teeth.
I am going to start tonight and if I can keep you posted if you are interested. Last night I fell asleep, so tonight will be my first try with the olive oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine