Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 01:09 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,277,583 times

Advertisements

If you live in Colorado or Washington, I could recommend something.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:46 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,859 times
Catwoman's right - it works.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,709,114 times
I have had grave insomnia problems for years. What I'm taking now helps - somewhat - Calms Forte. It is a homeopathic from hyland's.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:54 PM

689 posts, read 973,055 times
Melatonin loses effectiveness, over time, for many people who aren't naturally low. What's more, if you take too much, it may have the reverse effect and actually cause sleeplessness. If you decide you're not quite ready to give up on it, try lowering your dose and see if this actually works better. Another factor to consider is that it's extremely light sensitive and even the slightest exposure can cause you to absorb it immediately, eliminating all benefit. In fact, my doctor once advised that if I have an adverse reaction to just turn on my bathroom light and stand under it and all will subside in a few minutes.

I'm currently having some good luck with Gaia Sound Sleep formula. It's got passionflower, kava, valerian, skullcap, hops and a few other calming herbs. I was advised that it works especially well with racing thoughts at bedtime - and its true. The key is not to take it too many nights in a row, or it loses effectiveness like many naturals do. Some of these herbs can cross react with pharmaceuticals so I would be careful when combining.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 AM

863 posts, read 1,196,053 times
Kava works great as a before bedtime drink if you want to take the time to make it properly and use good root. I can't speak for any claims on the pills though. In the past I've also had great luck with Phenibut. However, with extended use, it can be habit forming so do your research first. You can start with this: Phenibut For Anxiety - The Science of Phenibut Still probably better for you than Trazodone.........which I'd suggest talking to your doctor about before stopping cold turkey.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:14 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Phenibut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting, I had never heard of this before.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:58 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
The best insomnia cure for me has been removing sugar from my diet. No sugar in my coffee, no sodas, no sweets, and very limited [if any] fruit. It's been 3 weeks now and I have not had even one night of trouble falling asleep. Plus now I wake up every morning refreshed and without an alarm. It's crazy, I never would've guessed..

Old 09-01-2014, 07:15 PM

29 posts, read 35,698 times
Check out L Theanine, Tianeptine, or CDP choline. These three have all been used by either myself or a friend to help fall into a more restful sleep sooner. I particularly liked the L Theanine and CDP choline being used together, as it seemed to increase the overall vividness of my dreams.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:07 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I have been taking trazedone and melatonin for the longest time. it just doesn't seem to work so great for me anymore. if i want to bed earlier than 1am, i feel nausea and then get sleepy when I take them. And then If I usually don't sleep until the alarm clock goes off. I need ways to have a good natural sound sleep. I heard for anxiety amino acids are good, but is there something I can buy that has amino acids? I just don't know what do and soon I will be starting a full-time job where I have to be at work 8am-ish every weekday.
I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat myself having sleep problem for more than 10 years. I can't remember how many times I was woken up last night by the symptoms of my sleep disorder. I've been taking magnesium and a oriental herbal medicine for quite some time now. Sadly symptoms still persist and I still can't sleep through the night without being woken up. I haven't heard anything about amino acids having a sleep aiding property except that they're good for body building. Perhaps they're just the magic drug for sleep related problem. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I've tried everything at least once, maybe twice or more. Last year I did one final trial of EVERYTHING. I bought the above mentioned L-Theonine and took it for three months, but nothing. All the herbs, everything. I've taken magnesium for years, also zinc and calcium.

Acupuncture did nothing. Calms forte has something in it that works a tiny bit but I bought each ingredient separately, tried them, and nothing.

Next thing I'm going to do is to get tested for amino acids. I have chronic fatigue and had the fibro that went with it. I cured the fibro by accident with an amino acid so I'm convinced that for some of us, amino acids are a factor.

To the person asking about amino acids, there are a lot of them and I was told by a naturopath to NOT just take some amino acid mixture but to find out which one/s I really need. You can get tested. I am trying to get up the nerve to get it done (and get up the MONEY to have it done). There are a lot of different amino acids and some assist with the neurotransmitters. That's why I think if you could find the right one, it would fix the insomnia. You can order individual amino acids online at places like Vitacost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine