Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,351 times

Advertisements

I'm in Florida and I am having no luck finding a good Alternative Dr. MD?ND? DO? I just can't find anyone who isn't either A.) Throws the word " Holistic" in their ad to make it sound like they are alternative B.) A Total Quack C.) just guess their way through diagnosing a problem D.) A supplement salesman

Anyone have any suggestions on how to find a good one????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:34 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
What are you looking to have done? I'm not being nosy--there's a reason I ask.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
What are you looking to have done? I'm not being nosy--there's a reason I ask.
Well I would like to have one in case I get sick, (cough, sore throat,etc) but I have digestion issues and floaters and would love to do a complete detox of all of my systems.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:43 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
I'm in Florida and I am having no luck finding a good Alternative Dr. MD?ND? DO? I just can't find anyone who isn't either A.) Throws the word " Holistic" in their ad to make it sound like they are alternative B.) A Total Quack C.) just guess their way through diagnosing a problem D.) A supplement salesman

Have you tried acupuncture? I was going to East West College of Natural Medicine, the doctor that I had there is gone, but I still get treatment. They teach TCM and also incorporate some Western medicine practice.

Other than that, almost all other MDs or DOs in the area belong to insurance and therefore won't be all that "alternative." My regular doc is a DO (chose him for that) but nothing and I mean NOTHING alternative about him, except he is a bit more open-minded, and in fact was the one to recommend acupuncture to me.

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Every town I moved to I found alternative people from
a massage therapist...but one that has practiced and been there
at least 20 years and knows people, heard input from her many clients...
the best acupunturists and the worst ones, chiropractors, naturopaths, etc.
the Health Food Store and Metaphysical bulletin boards can give you some leads.
Then, google them.
Good luck....we have so many in my city.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:39 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
Quote:

Hilarious. Your list of undesirable qualities basically defines holistic medicine, yet you still want a holistic doctor? One of us is confused.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:32 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:

Actually, once you compile a list of potential alternative practitioners you have to weed through them. If they say A.) "holistic" that may or may not be okay. Usually they will be holistic and that's no reason to eliminate them. B.) If you think they are "A Total Quack" you need to know why you have made that assumption. Because they exaggerate? They say crazy things? You could be right and the person is just a quack but do some digging and don't just write them off until you are certain. C.) Guess their way. That doesn't sound too good and you have already been to them if you know that much about them. D.) A supplement salesman. Some are like that so stay away from them. Some MDs are like that too and I am sure they get a kickback if they prescribe certain drugs.

Maybe there is no one good in your area. It takes a lot of looking, asking around, getting referrals from people you trust, and then looking them all up and reading about them. Once you narrow the field maybe they'll let you come in for a free visit just to meet them and see if you like them.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Have you tried acupuncture? I was going to East West College of Natural Medicine, the doctor that I had there is gone, but I still get treatment. They teach TCM and also incorporate some Western medicine practice.

Other than that, almost all other MDs or DOs in the area belong to insurance and therefore won't be all that "alternative." My regular doc is a DO (chose him for that) but nothing and I mean NOTHING alternative about him, except he is a bit more open-minded, and in fact was the one to recommend acupuncture to me.

Good luck.
Oh I have tried acpuncture for years. I actually lucked out and found an amazing Dr. He is in Bonita Springs/Naples Florida. I went to him and 3 days later I was pain free/spymptom free with no drugs. Just supplements.

Love this guy! He is a ND/Holistic Nutritionist

Old 08-03-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Actually, once you compile a list of potential alternative practitioners you have to weed through them. If they say A.) "holistic" that may or may not be okay. Usually they will be holistic and that's no reason to eliminate them. B.) If you think they are "A Total Quack" you need to know why you have made that assumption. Because they exaggerate? They say crazy things? You could be right and the person is just a quack but do some digging and don't just write them off until you are certain. C.) Guess their way. That doesn't sound too good and you have already been to them if you know that much about them. D.) A supplement salesman. Some are like that so stay away from them. Some MDs are like that too and I am sure they get a kickback if they prescribe certain drugs.

Maybe there is no one good in your area. It takes a lot of looking, asking around, getting referrals from people you trust, and then looking them all up and reading about them. Once you narrow the field maybe they'll let you come in for a free visit just to meet them and see if you like them.
OMG I know what you mean. I have gone to so many quacks. I had one acupuncturist tell me that I was having chest pain because of solar flares. Then the next time it was because I was "sad", then the next it as from too many toxins, then the next time it was from too much "red meat". I am vegetarian! LOL

But I did find one I was explaing him to Gypsychic....he is really skilled. He ran ekg's, echo's, some acoustic cardiac thing, 4 different BP's, doppler, pH, urine analysis, etc. blood tests,etc. I was with him for 3 hrs and got the best exam I have ever had.

He gave me supplements but not alot and they stopped my symptoms in 3 days. I will go back to him for everything now.

He sat with me and answered every question until he knew I had no more. He even gave me his cell phone number and said to call him anytime, even 2 am if I have even just a question. He said that is his job to be there for his patients.

How rare is he????

Old 08-04-2014, 10:33 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Rare. You are so lucky because he sounds amazing, like a dream come true. A keeper for sure.

Can you share the answer to your original question? How on earth did you FIND him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine