Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times

Advertisements

I find a lot of websites saying not to use it long term, but it's the only thing I've found so far that appears to knock out one major aspect of my sinus problems. I am still testing whether this is really true.

Long Dan Xie Gan Wan is a Chinese herbal formula that is sometimes called the Snake & the Dragon pills. Like other classic Chinese formulae, this one also has inspired variations (such as Coptis Purge Fire). I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has taken Long Dan Xie Gan Wan or one of its close spin-offs as a long-term treatment. Did you find it caused significant adverse side effects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 09:08 PM

After being on this for close to eight weeks, I stopped because it did seem to cause some odd digestive issues. I felt better from the neck down, stopping. But then within a week my peculiar barometric pressure related sinus pressure/jammed together feeling came back, so I resumed taking it, but I am experimenting to see how low I can go with the dosage to still get the same benefits.

(It may seem odd to respond to my own query, but I do it in hopes that it will helpful to others who may be looking for anecdotal accounts of LDXGW.)

Old 10-23-2014, 09:49 AM

Default Update

I never got very far trying to lower the dose, since the problems LXDGW helps with are barely contained; so I am afraid to lower the dose. I have had only minimal digestive issues as a result of this formula, however, since I've been taking generous amounts of probiotics.

I find the original LXDGW formula easier to handle than the souped-up Coptis Purge Fire variation.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:24 PM

Down to six teapills three times a day (down from the standard eight, three times a day), and I'm not experiencing much at all in the way of barometric pressure sensitivity. This past week, in particular, has been better than usual. It's true that my allergies have been better lately, but in the past, even during periods when I haven't had significant allergy problems, I've still had this barometric pressure sensitivity.

Still experimenting.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:29 PM

76 posts, read 265,300 times
I would not use this long term. You can get some allergy relief by stimulating the liver, but the formula you chose does not just stimulate the liver. using long term can have adverse effects. you(we) live in the high desert... the dry air combined with the aggressive pollen here can add to mucus congestion. this MAY be the reason for the barometric affect you are experiencing. its possible that the mucus is too thick and creates blockages in the sinuses. its just a guess of course, but highly possible. either way... i would not use LDXGT long term

Old 01-13-2015, 10:05 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Never heard of the herb you mentioned, OP. But ...

For sinus problems, I suggest a neti pot with warm (distilled) salt water. You'd be amazed how it helps. Do not use tap water. Use only distilled water. Tap water has bacteria is in and can cause other infections, if the body is susceptible to them. I've been using distilled water for several years without any problem and, surprisingly, haven't had a cold in eight years. I don't know if there's any correlation but it's interesting to note that.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:16 PM

I've been doing nasal irrigation regularly since around late 1999/2000. It helps, but it hasn't been a solution. (I use distilled water, currently, but haven't been doing that the whole time. However, I was using filtered water previously, and I have always had a pretty decent water treatment system hooked up. I decided distilled water would be safer though, so I switched.)

I've stopped taking Long Dan Xie Gan Wan again. Too much intestinal trouble from it.

And. . . I just had sinus surgery. It seems like it's going to help (especially with sinus pressure), but it's much too early to say definitively. It was a somewhat sudden decision. My allergist suggested I go back to an ENT again, and this one told me something a lot different than the one I had seen the previous year. I also had a new CT scan, right on the premises.

I know surgery won't cure my allergies, before anyone points that out. Again, I expect it to make the most difference when it comes to greatly reducing sinus pressure.

Tired of waiting for alternative treatments (or allergy injections, for that matter) that might work in a couple years, and then again might not.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:17 AM

173 posts, read 111,389 times
Default you got my mind tickled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I've stopped taking Long Dan Xie Gan Wan again. Too much intestinal trouble from it.
Hi there,
your post made me search for this supplement. What were the intestinal troubles that you could not bear anymore?
I thought of trying it for UTI, not yet ordered, though.
Hope you're still around the town (this forum).
Thanks.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:48 AM

6,942 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Are sinus problems possibly related to diet ? Could a diet which does not cause excess mucous help? Eg: Cheese and orange juice are supposed to be very mucous-forming.

I think when we have gut problems (gut runs from mouth to anus) then often a change of diet might be the solution. I know diet changes are not easy, but neither are the problems we have to put up with.

For example, I know that my asthma has almost completely disappeared since I gave up dairy products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine