Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Apparently the shingles shot's effectiveness is only 51%. To add to the shot (if one gets it; it is reported that those with weakened immune systems should not), what nutrients and supplements have studies shown to help?

(I don't want this to be a pro-con shingles vax debate!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 03:50 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,063 times
This is a great question. I have done some reading on Shingles, and it seems like it affects the nerves. I don't know that you could necessarily prevent yourself from getting it as it is viral, and you never know what you're being exposed to as you move through the world.

Like anything I would suppose that keeping your immune system strong would be a good way to prevent any illness. I look forward to hearing other productive thoughts on this topic.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:34 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I don't know of anything. It's one of the most scary diseases I can think of, having had an aunt who suffered greatly from it until she died. She tried everything, including acupuncture.

But to prevent it. I'd just be guessing but zinc helps the immune system and B vitamins help the nervous system.

A good form of zinc from a natural food store, not zinc oxide from the drug store.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't know of anything. It's one of the most scary diseases I can think of, having had an aunt who suffered greatly from it until she died. She tried everything, including acupuncture.

But to prevent it. I'd just be guessing but zinc helps the immune system and B vitamins help the nervous system.

A good form of zinc from a natural food store, not zinc oxide from the drug store.
I'll check out the zinc. I already take the B's. I also wonder about herbal supplements. I'll be doing some more research online and will post what I find. I did read about olive leaf extract as an anti-viral and a specific in shingles. I also read about colloidial silver, but that sounds foreign to me and I just don't know about ingesting it.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:14 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Some scientist think that the amino acid supplement, L-Lysine may suppress shingles as the virus that causes shingles is closely related to the virus that causes cold sores aka herpes. L-Lysine has proven to suppress cold sores. L-Lysine supplementation works by suppressing another amino acid, arginine. Arginine is like food for the herpes virus. When it's suppressed by taking L-Lysine, there is not food for the herpes virus. I have read some things about shingle and oil of oregano as well. Oil of Oreagno helps fight off cold sores as it is anti-viral. Again, since it works for cold sores, I could see how it could work for shingles.
L-lysine and Shingles | LIVESTRONG.COM
http://www.livestrong.com/article/26...w-in-arginine/
http://curingherbs.com/wild_oregano_oil.htm
An interesting article about Red Marine Algae and shingles. Caution on Red Marine Algae vs Shingles - |

Old 02-23-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Some scientist think that the amino acid supplement, L-Lysine may suppress shingles as the virus that causes shingles is closely related to the virus that causes cold sores aka herpes. L-Lysine has proven to suppress cold sores. L-Lysine supplementation works by suppressing another amino acid, arginine. Arginine is like food for the herpes virus. When it's suppressed by taking L-Lysine, there is not food for the herpes virus. I have read some things about shingle and oil of oregano as well. Oil of Oreagno helps fight off cold sores as it is anti-viral. Again, since it works for cold sores, I could see how it could work for shingles.
L-lysine and Shingles | LIVESTRONG.COM
List of Foods High in Lysine & Low in Arginine | LIVESTRONG.COM
Oil of Wild Oregano is one of the strongest and most effective antibiotics known to man
An interesting article about Red Marine Algae and shingles. Caution on Red Marine Algae vs Shingles - |
Good information, thank you so much. Will read up.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:07 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
This is a great question. I have done some reading on Shingles, and it seems like it affects the nerves. I don't know that you could necessarily prevent yourself from getting it as it is viral, and you never know what you're being exposed to as you move through the world.

Like anything I would suppose that keeping your immune system strong would be a good way to prevent any illness. I look forward to hearing other productive thoughts on this topic.
This is wrong, shingles comes from within and anyone who has had measles can get it. It comes from stress and a weakened immune system so what you stated about boosting the immune system is most important.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:27 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
This is wrong, shingles comes from within and anyone who has had measles can get it. It comes from stress and a weakened immune system so what you stated about boosting the immune system is most important.
You are wrong, friend. Chickenpox is the virus that is in your system and can reactivate to become Shingles. As you move through the world, you can pick up any number of things that will weaken the immune system, thus making one more vulnerable to developing Shingles.

The Link Between Chickenpox and Shingles

Old 03-01-2015, 07:34 AM

264 posts, read 2,143,677 times
I would look into adaptogenic herbs like Ashwagandha and Holy Basil/Tulsi they both strengthen the immune system and reduce stress and both have anti-viral properties. I take both during the winter months and Ashwagandha all year round and haven't had an illness since I started this routine 4 years ago.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
I would look into adaptogenic herbs like Ashwagandha and Holy Basil/Tulsi they both strengthen the immune system and reduce stress and both have anti-viral properties. I take both during the winter months and Ashwagandha all year round and haven't had an illness since I started this routine 4 years ago.
Thank you. As I read this I happen to be drinking Tulsi tea. How do you take yours, tea or extract?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine