Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:49 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonplayer View Post
I was reading about Bitter Melon as an insulin replacement. Why it is that WMD says that there is insufficient evidence for treating diabetes and then says on side affects that it can lower blood glucose levels. Quite contradictory. But besides that it seems there is ample evidence. I looked on Amazon for this product and looked at reviews and seen many people posting testimonials of how good it works and even their lab readings.

So why are people still forking out so much money for metformin?
It is because the people taking the drug are kool-aid drinkers and have bought into the idea that there is "no cure" for Type 1 Diabetes and that nobody knows better than the medical establishment. They don't take any responsibility for their own health and have given over all control to their M.D. who knows nothing about what could really make them well and diabetes free. All those people need to watch this documentary among other things. (This is just the trailer but it is still FREE on YouTube as far as I know.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Le4VjQPlg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 01:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
It is because the people taking the drug are kool-aid drinkers and have bought into the idea that nobody knows better than the medical establishment. They don't take any responsibility for their own health and have given over all control to their M.D. who knows nothing about what could really make them well and diabetes free.
I'm sure i've misread your post as it seems You are implying that by not taking any and all supplements that i am in some way not taking responsibility for my own health? and i should out guess my doctor who apparently knows nothing and by default the medical profession and succumb to any supplement based on its claims?You cant be serious..

Last edited by jambo101; 06-03-2015 at 02:04 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 08:17 AM

273 posts, read 211,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm sure i've misread your post as it seems You are implying that by not taking any and all supplements that i am in some way not taking responsibility for my own health? and i should out guess my doctor who apparently knows nothing and by default the medical profession and succumb to any supplement based on its claims?You cant be serious..
I can guarantee your doctor doesn't know about health as much as my Alternative Doctor. But medical doctors don't get training in actual HEALTH. They get training in physiology and medical practices for treating diseases. They get no training in curing diseases. If you watched the youtube video that Emily posted, you would see that diabetes was cured in 30 days for those patients using natural foods. No medicines. 30 DAYS!!!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:57 AM

OK i'm your classic type 2 diabetic i take 300 units of insulin per day whats your recommendation,obviously Bitter Melon isnt working.
My diet for several years has been no wheat,no dairy no sugar no alcohol and very minimal animal protein, i also work out at the gymn for an hour everyday, why am i still severely diabetic and somewhat overweight?
I also asked my endocrinologist about Bitter Melon,he said it makes a nice tea but thats about all it does,he also added that some of these supplements can be dangerous andyou could be risking your life by putting much faith in their claims.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-03-2015 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
OK i'm your classic type 2 diabetic i take 300 units of insulin per day whats your recommendation,obviously Bitter Melon isnt working.
My diet for several years has been no wheat,no dairy no sugar no alcohol and very minimal animal protein, i also work out at the gymn for an hour everyday, why am i still severely diabetic and somewhat overweight?
I also asked my endocrinologist about Bitter Melon,he said it makes a nice tea but thats about all it does,he also added that some of these supplements can be dangerous andyou could be risking your life by putting much faith in their claims.
I think YOU should stick with what your endocrinologist advises. Also, as I understand it, bitter melon is not immediately supposed to reduce your levels as from what I understand it does some repair to the pancreas first and as a result of the improved pancreas then the improvement comes to readings.

I would not advise a loved one to ever put their faith in the medical profession to cure their diabetes which I know can be cured.

The thing YOU need to realize is that if you go with what your endocrinologist says then you had to admit to yourself that diabetes cannot be cured and live that way for the rest of your life. That means that even though they will tell you that CHRONICALLY bad diet led you into diabetes that they wont admit that CHRONIC Reversal of that diet will reverse it. That CAN ONLY mean that what they are saying is that you damaged something that CAN'T be repaired. Remember drugs only manipulate natural substances by synthetic means. Therefore metformin is only manipulating natural substances in your body by using synthetic means. They are trying to convince you that there is NO other way to likewise manipulate those same natural substance in the body. Even though we do so everyday with food.

Last edited by Gibsonplayer; 06-03-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I think YOU should stick with what your endocrinologist advises. Also, as I understand it, bitter melon is not immediately supposed to reduce your levels as from what I understand it does some repair to the pancreas first and as a result of the improved pancreas then the improvement comes to readings.

I would not advise a loved one to ever put their faith in the medical profession to cure their diabetes which I know can be cured.

The thing YOU need to realize is that if you go with what your endocrinologist says then you had to admit to yourself that diabetes cannot be cured and live that way for the rest of your life. That means that even though they will tell you that CHRONICALLY bad diet led you into diabetes that they wont admit that CHRONIC Reversal of that diet will reverse it. That CAN ONLY mean that what they are saying is that you damaged something that CAN'T be repaired. Remember drugs only manipulate natural substances by synthetic means. Therefore metformin is only manipulating natural substances in your body by using synthetic means. They are trying to convince you that there is NO other way to likewise manipulate those same natural substance in the body. Even though we do so everyday with food.
I couldnt imagine recommending a loved one ignore a doctors prognoses and instead of following the doctors prescriptions take herbal supplements instead.
I got 3 boxes of this Bitter Melon left,i've been taking 2 cups per day of the stuff and as yet have seen no improvements in my condition.I'm drinking a cup right now.
While you may think the doctors and medical profession are not to be relied upon i believe they are more trustworthy than the unsubstantiated claims by untested supplement manufacturers.to think otherwise suggests the government and the medical profession is perpetrating a giant conspiracy on the people, i'm not about to risk my life on that assumption.
Excuse me if i remain skeptical.
Massive herbal-supplement scam uncovered: Walmart, Target, GNC accused of selling bogus products - Salon.com

Drugs and Nutrition Supplements | What Can You Believe?

Nutritional Supplement Scams: How to Avoid Wasting Your Money!

Are Herbal Supplements A Scam? Study Finds Many Contain 'Contamination And Fillers

Last edited by jambo101; 06-03-2015 at 01:58 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I got 3 boxes of this Bitter Melon left,i've been taking 2 cups per day of the stuff and as yet have seen no improvements in my condition.I'm drinking a cup right now.
While you may think the doctors and medical profession are not to be relied upon i believe they are more trustworthy than the unsubstantiated claims by untested supplement manufacturers.
Excuse me if i remain skeptical.
Massive herbal-supplement scam uncovered: Walmart, Target, GNC accused of selling bogus products - Salon.com

Drugs and Nutrition Supplements | What Can You Believe?

Nutritional Supplement Scams: How to Avoid Wasting Your Money!

Are Herbal Supplements A Scam? Study Finds Many Contain 'Contamination And Fillers
So let me ask you then why you think that WebMD is lieing to us and telling us that bitter melon has a hypoglycemic effect? Wouldn't your opinion then be that WebMD is WRONG?

Old 06-03-2015, 02:00 PM

Bitter Melon activates AMPK enzyme which is like the same affect that exercise plays in the role of diabetes.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
So let me ask you then why you think that WebMD is lieing to us and telling us that bitter melon has a hypoglycemic effect? Wouldn't your opinion then be that WebMD is WRONG?
If Webmd was claiming Bitter Melon is a cure-all medication for diabetes then in my opinion they are indeed wrong.
However reading what they do say about the product is a very vague implication that it may or may not give benefits to some ,in fact on the basis of this article would you consider giving up your diabetic medication in favor of Bitter Melon?=
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-su...s/bitter-melon

Last edited by jambo101; 06-04-2015 at 01:59 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 02:36 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,229,006 times
People need to realize that homeopathic/natural supplements do not have instant results! Generally, it might take one month or more of regular doses for changes. I haven't tried Bitter Melon yet, but I have been off Glyburide and Metformin since late December, following acute pancreatitis that had my blood sugar registering steadily in the 250-400 range. My doctor had been pushing me to go on insulin for some time, and I was desperate, fearing that the damage to the pancreas might force me to do that.

I went on the Net and began reading suggestions for dealing with a damaged pancreas and other physical problems. I found the blog of a man who had been dealing with chronic pancreatitis since the Seventies. His solution mainly lies with homeopathic/natural supplements. I followed suit and have never regretted it.

The first thing I ordered and started on was Glucocil. For me, it started making a difference within a week or so though it might not help others that quickly. I also added Sugar Equilibrium II. When I went to see my doctor and told her about no longer taking the two prescriptions, she was distressed, even when I showed her my twice-a-day readings. Before, I was lucky if my blood sugar was @130 though it could be as distressingly low as 50-60; after a meal, a spike could hit 200+, no matter how carefully I ate. I felt helpless because, with Glyburide, it seemed OK for a while; then, it became extremely erratic, and Metformin was added. That only helped for a while, then I was back to dropping as low as 50 to rocketing as high as 250; my readings were all over the place, and I knew I was eating exactly the right things in the right amount. I would write down EVERYTHING, so my doctor was well-aware that I wasn't cheating in any way. Well, she told me that, for a month, I should test more than twice a day then bring her the results, as she still was dubious. I used a calendar, which I took to her the next time. After studying my records, she looked up, shaking her head before she said, "Amazing! This is amazing!" She already had complimented me on how much better I looked and acted. Then, I told her I also wasn't taking Furosemide, which had never worked for me; I also have fibro, CFIDS and Congestive Heart Failure, meaning I have problems with edema and lots of water retention. I told her that I had switched to Butcher's Broom; I had learned that Botanic Choice's capsules (one three times a day) work wonders. My feet fit in shoes I haven't been able to wear for years! I've also dropped several sizes since I no longer am swollen like a toad.

There are other supplements I take daily, especially with pancreatitis, including NOW Super Enzymes and C-1000. I've always needed a lot of magnesium for some reason, and UltraMag seems to suit my system.

I won't claim that supplements work for everyone, but they are doing wonders for me that prescriptions never did. I'm still working on my blood pressure, which tends to be elevated because of physical pain and how nervous it makes me. However, I'm making headway on the pain and joint problems~the natural way. I do not intend to desert this path. I'm steadily losing weight and gaining strength.

Every year for more than 10 years now, I've lost from three to nine months to being almost completely crippled from my illnesses (a number of which I've had for far more than half of my 60+ years). Sometimes, it was so bad that it took me close to an hour to get out of bed and to walk to my bedroom door. I wouldn't be able to brush my hair or feed myself. I hated being so helpless! This is the first year I've made it halfway through and not had a single incapacitated day! I won't say I'm romping around, but I am getting in and out of bed with little effort, staying on my feet longer than I have been able to for "forever" (it seems), walking out to the car and driving more places (post office, shopping~though I still have to use one of those carts), and even taking photographs and thinking about getting back to sketching, writing and playing my bowed psaltery. I'm reclaiming parts of my life that I had had to relinquish.

When I've gone to the doctor, she and the others in the office remark how much better I look, move and act. People I haven't seen for a while say, "You're moving better!" "You've lost weight!" "What are you doing? You look great!" That's so much better than me walking like a mixture of The Mummy and Frankenstein's Monster; mix them up, and that's how I was moving around, body twisted up. Then, there are the noises that one tends to make. When I was in my late 20s, I already was making sounds that generally are heard from the elderly. Trust me: You don't intentionally groan, and you can't help the joints cracking and making noises. I'm getting quieter as my treatment continues! If I drop something, I just bend down and pick it up, and I don't nearly or actually fall!

With homeopathics/supplements, follow the instructions exactly. First, you should read about it; then, if you're taking prescriptions, make sure they will not cause problems. There's a lot of information about extracts out there, including whether they're suitable for you; for example, if you have another physical problem, it might not be wise to take certain supplements. Some sites actually have on-line assistance, or you can speak with someone on the phone; you can get some direction that way. I've yet to be on a site (Swanson, Botanic Choice, Puritan's Pride, etc.) that made drastic claims; each also requests reviews of products by customers. They also provide lists of ingredients when necessary.

I also have to thank external help from Ayurvedic medicine: the pain relief ointment called "Himani Fast Relief". It's been more effective than some others I also keep in my "medical kit", including Thera-Gesic and Sombra.

Until I get a better handle on my blood pressure, I shall take medication for it. I'll bet I get to stop that, too, eventually. I just need to find the right supplement or mix of them. I'm trying Hawthorn Berry right now.

So, don't put down these remedies! If I explore Bitter Melon as I've been meaning to, I'll let you know my results. Once more: I won't recommend tossing aside your prescriptions. What I can do is relate my success~a life-changing path for me!

EDIT: I'm not sure about simply drinking some teas. I haven't tried anything like that though I do drink Rooibos and other herbal teas. I stress that I take supplements in tablets, capsules and softgels/gelcaps, with some chewable homeopathic tablets for sciatica, low back pain, nerve pain and more. Drinking some tea and expecting instant changes just doesn't happen; these supplements take time to work.

The following is from one supplier concerning "Full Spectrum Bitter Melon" in capsules~not the tea.
Quote:
from naturalhealthremedies.org...
Bitter melon has been used for centuries in Asian medicine. Its strong bitter taste means it can be used for digestion issues but can worsen other ailments such as ulcers. Besides digestion, bitter melon was also used to treat psoriasis, cancer and diabetes. The most significant health benefit has to do with diabetes. Bitter melon has been shown to help with blood sugars levels. The plant produces a bovine like insulin that can be injected into diabetics. The studies that have been done have shown that this plant insulin works just like its bovine counterpart with added advantages. It’s important to note that this benefit come from the juice of unripened fruit.

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 06-04-2015 at 02:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine