Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:49 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

I've been aware of this cholesterol "myth" for some time. My MD is more concerned about homocysteine and fibrinogen and starting checking these levels 3 yrs ago and they were elevated and I'm now taking supps for 3 yrs to lower these heart culprits.

Cholesterol: Friend Or Foe? - Weston A Price

I read The Heart Revolution and own the book and this MD talks about homocysteine and not cholesterol being the issue. There are other books one can find on amazon about this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 06:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I've been a vegetarian for 40+ years but still had high cholesterol. You can still have sweets you know, and I used to eat a LOT of cheese. But six months ago I switched to a vegan diet, no cheese or dairy. I now use almond milk, which I really like and I don't miss not eating cheese. My cholesterol dropped to 140 which is 35 points lower than before I became vegan and I also lost weight. Anyone can do it but you really have to want to change. It wasn't hard for me at all.
Yup.

Exercise, taking krill oil, eating pounds of raw fruits and veggies every day...you'll poop good, too.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:19 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
The closer I became to a vegetarian/vegan, and the fewer processed carbs and fatty meats I ate, the lower my LDL and the higher my HDL. Also cut out all sugary drinks and sodas...

I do eat white potatoes, baked or mashed (but not with butter) and sweet potatoes/yams...

Lots of salads, raw & steamed vegetables.

Lots of beans/brown rice in various forms....

Eggs a couple of times a week, oatmeal or bran flakes the other times.

Stints on the treadmill 3x week, ride my bike around town...

All's good now.

I do take some supplements...CoQ10, fish oil, C, zinc, Cal/Mag, multi, B-100. Rarely sick.
This sounds a lot like me except I hate salads. My dr told me to cut down on carbs to lower my cholesterol so I haven't been doing much rice or oatmeal. Oatmeal once in a while but no other cereal and no bread.

I eat a lot of eggs because they have nothing to do with cholesterol--my previous dr told me about that myth. I eat lots of vegetables and I make smoothies with almond milk and fresh fruit.

I don't eat any dairy products due to a dairy allergy. I'm due to get my blood tested any day now but I don't think I'll see any improvement because even on a total vegetarian diet, it made no difference.

My weight is normal. I think I have some sort of screwy liver that's making too much cholesterol. That's all I can think of. My liver enzymes were elevated a few times so something's going on. I don't drink. Just genetic maybe.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:11 PM

Just going thru hoops with a friend about her lipid particle SIZE. I had pretty much resigned myself to the Cholesterol Myth, and then people come on the tests and particle sizes and high cholesterol and the "fear" comes into play. Found this info and boy does it hit the nail on the head.

The downfall of cholesterol subfraction and particle size analysis

Go to the doctor, get tests, come home read tests and try to understand it all...then go back for another appt to discuss it all, being pushed to drugs...never ending. Best if one can stay away from doctors, I've said this for years.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:10 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
When (rarely) my numbers are high my doctor pushes diet and exercise, which is what I choose also.

Everyone wants a pill whether allopathic or natural. The population wants instant gratification and no work. Thus the big pharma and big supplement rake in the big bucks.

Exercise and eat right - that shouldn't be so hard for people to do.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-01-2016, 01:38 PM

Many cannot push with exercise as they age. I cannot but pushed myself for 30 yrs+ with exercise. Now I do stretching and recumbent and now going to a PT gym to work with the mess from hip replacement. All gentle work and special exercises.

I truly believe the many yrs of aggressive exercise (addiction) got me to this place with these joints.

Moderation in all and get off the couch and push the plate away.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-01-2016 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 07:30 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I try my best to exercise every day...at the gym or at home.

My yoga teacher told us once, "You're only as youthful as your spine is flexible."

Yoga keeps me supple, gives me good balance and is also relaxing for the mind...we do a gentle form that feels wonderful and I sleep like a baby after yoga.

Swimming/water exercise classes also feel wonderful and can be done by most everyone as the water embraces and supports you. How wonderful to feel weightless!

Old 08-15-2016, 09:13 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
No sugar in anything, no dairy, no meat, no fish, no eggs, no coffee, no wheat, 1/2 brazil nut every day. Take 5000 mcg b-12 under tongue a day, and lots of other vitamins and herbs, turmeric, cinnamon, pepper twice a day with rice protein supplement, dark chocolate powder twice a day in protein drink, 3000 mg astragalus powder for immune system.

Last time I was tested it was 118. Of course I have chronic Lyme disease, and anything I can do to keep healthy keeps the Lyme at bay. Am 67 years young.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:55 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,522 times
Default Said to lower cholesterol

Moringa, it's a plant known as the miracle tree. It can lower cholesterol and many other benefits.
Hawthorn berry extract and tea will lower but don't over do it.
Black seed oil
Flax seed oil

Warning *red yeast rice * is a natural statin and Levaquin is made from it.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:43 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
Moringa, it's a plant known as the miracle tree. It can lower cholesterol and many other benefits.
Hawthorn berry extract and tea will lower but don't over do it.
Black seed oil
Flax seed oil

Warning *red yeast rice * is a natural statin and Levaquin is made from it.
The statin in (some) red yeast rice is lovastatin, the same as in Mevacor, and the amount varies greatly from product to product.

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/...ed_yeast_rice/

Levaquin is an antibiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine