Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 01:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times

Advertisements

This is a HOT topic and this info is FYI....no debates, info only.

I've been involved in the WAP Foundation for probably over 10 yrs...We had a support group in our town for many years. I met many like minded health people. Found my way to Coconut Oil via WAP. Heard about how cancer cells love sugar via the author of Lick the Sugar Habit. That comment was mind changing for sure. I cut out so much candy stuff after that lecture. Anyway....

Mammography Madness - Weston A Price

I've had two mamms in my early 50's and none since and I'll be 78. A good friend who is 72 soon never had one. I have friends who quit having them and my mom never had one and she lived to 91.

Knowledge is Power.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:19 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
So, you opted to roll the dice, as is your right. My mother recently was diagnosed, and underwent surgery for breast cancer, at 90. She had stopped having mammograms in her 70s too.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:09 PM

Mattie, I have faith in the supplements I take that could keep cancer from my body. Sorry about your mom. My mom had cancer and she passed at 91. Long Life... Dad ended up with some cancer and he passed at 95.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:03 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
My mother also developed breast cancer in her early 80s. She had skipped mammograms for about 4 years. Her own mother lived to be 96 and had had only one mammogram in her life, so my mom assumed that having "all these tests" was a waste of time.

FWIW, her breast cancer was not estrogen related. I did not know that there were so many different types of breast cancer until she developed the disease.

Also, as one ages, their chances of developing any type of cancer increase, due to aging cells that have a higher chance of mutation. So it's probably a good idea not to ignore some of these tests.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:26 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Thanks for sharing jaminhealth. There have been a lot of things coming out over the last few years that show that mammograms may not be as effective as previously though in terms of reducing mortality from breast cancer. Your link is interesting and is information that I have not heard much about. Here is some more info regarding mammograms that I found to be interesting.
Screening for breast cancer with mammography | Cochrane

Quote:
If we assume that screening reduces breast cancer mortality by 15% and that overdiagnosis and overtreatment is at 30%, it means that for every 2000 women invited for screening throughout 10 years, one will avoid dying of breast cancer and 10 healthy women, who would not have been diagnosed if there had not been screening, will be treated unnecessarily.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:25 AM

48,513 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Mattie, I have faith in the supplements I take that could keep cancer from my body.

And you refuse to have any tests that might contradict that belief.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-28-2016, 11:36 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
It's okay to take chances, it's up to the individual and there is some controversy about mammograms. If you've had kids you are at less risk for b/c than someone who has had kids. Also, you're higher risk if you've taken birth control pills or have been on estrogen. Probably phytoestrogens in things like plastics can cause b/c also--so take into account all the risks.

The main reason I used to worry was due to the exposure to xrays every year. However that amount of radiation has been reduced. My b/c was found extremely early due to a mammogram. There were no cases of b/c in my family but 1. I never had kids. 2. I had been given estrogen during menopause--dr convinced me to take it against my wishes.

The studies that find no reduction in deaths don't take into account the lives that are made easier by early detection and much less suffering. Finding b/c at stage I is a lot better than being told it's at stage 4.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:52 AM

Along with the radiation, I've thought about any cancer cells in our breasts are being squeezed by that mega machine. If people read the article, Price people talk about that. And then there is the false readings and so many told to return for me testing. Talk about more fear. I still have the readings from my first test in my early 50's....cloudy calcifications.

My mom never had one but when she was 86 as I recall, she got a postcard from a doctor advising her to have a mamm....she called me to talk about this and I told her "no way, mom your breasts are fine"....

Iodine offers a lot of help for all tissues/cells in our bodies.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18590348
Just one informational link, there are many.

I've been leaning with alternative medicine since the early 90's...years of reading alternative medicine magazine set me up for my work. Meeting with Weston Price people cemented so much also. We all make our choices.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-28-2016 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 02:20 PM

14,298 posts, read 11,673,706 times
I developed breast cancer before I had ever had a mammogram (I was 39). So, I know for a fact that it was not caused by mammography radiation or by being "squeezed."

Of course, 7 out of 8 women will not develop breast cancer in their entire lives. The problem is, you don't know who is the one in 8 who will. I don't understand saying that overall, screening does more harm than good or that only "high-risk" people should be screened. I was extremely healthy, there was only one other known case of breast cancer in my family (a paternal cousin), and I would certainly not have been considered high risk. It turned out that I have two cancer-disposing genetic mutations. You can't just look at people's family trees and decide that they would or would not benefit from screening. You just don't know, which is why general screening is recommended.

My cancer was stage 1. That was 8 years ago and I'm still not only alive but healthy. My cousin's cancer was discovered at stage 3 and quickly metastasized to her liver. Last week, she was given 3 months to live. If her cancer had been found at stage 1 like mine, she would almost certainly have had a bright prognosis.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:53 PM

My mother and aunts lived into 80's and 90's and Never a mammogram nor never a breast cancer issue...yes, there can be cancer cells in our breasts but they can be there forever.

http://patientnavigator.com/blog/201...-cancer-cells/

Many cancer research hospitals are now using OPC's in their cancer research and I heard this in 1995 when I started on Pycnogenol that it MAY prevent cancer(s). OPC's include grape seed extract, pycnogenol and resveratrol.

I have not changed my mind on these tests and continue with my preventions: grape seed ex and iodine as just a couple.

My daughter does not get them and she's 52 but she's had some but no more..her doctor stops pushing them. It was all her decision even though she knows my choice.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-23-2016 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.